It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: 61% oppose limits on union bargaining power

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by reverandrandy

Wisconsin's budget was balanced until Governor Walker gave away tax breaks to the corporations that paid for his campaign...Now there's a deficit...The Unions have offered to agree to all of the financials...But the governor still wants to take away their god given right to collective bargaining.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I am amazed at all the BS polls coming out.

First of all they did not give the polling information anywhere on the original article.. a big red flag for me. So I went to their website and searched for "union".

It seems they use about the same methodology for all their polls.

Results are based on telephone interviews with 1,010 national adults, aged 18 and older, conducted Aug. 6-9, 2009. For results based on the total sample of national adults, one can say with 95% confidence that the maximum margin of sampling error is ±4 percentage points.

Interviews are conducted with respondents on land-line telephones (for respondents with a land-line telephone) and cellular phones (for respondents who are cell-phone only).

In addition to sampling error, question wording and practical difficulties in conducting surveys can introduce error or bias into the findings of public opinion polls.
link.

While it is good that they use cell phones to avoid a huge bias (most younger people don't have land lines) they are still only sampling 1000 adults. A minuscule number which in no way can be a "scientific" poll representing the whole U.S. No matter how much they pretend to... much less a +-4% which they claim.

Each and every poll I read used the same methodology so the net result: every gallup poll is propaganda.

This is one of the main ways they manipulate the public is projecting a false consensus with whatever mindset they want to promote. It is smoke and mirrors. They could do a poll of 100,000 people easily and get much better results... but it is much more likely they poll 1000 times on different groups of 1000 people until they get the result most in line with their agenda.
edit on 22-2-2011 by pianopraze because: clarification

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Your premise is ridiculously flawed....
The teachers do not decide What to teach the kids....nor are they allowed to tell the students who their parents should vote for....and lastly,you are clearly what the other poster was refering to...
So...one,two,three....YER OUT...thank you for playing.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

You might google statistical sampling...
I'm just saying.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by pcrobotwolf

thats an excellent recount of how these "unions" actually operate these days.

they are little more than money-grubbing popularity contests.

i wish more folks out there would come out with these kinds of stories about union corruption.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

Your anti union rant is entirely false....
You should research before making things up out of whole cloth.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Reply to post by nivekronnoco

*buzzer*

WRONG!

Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

politifact.com...

Educate yourself before you ask someone to do the same.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by HoldTheBeans

Walker is blaming the unions....
While forgetting that it was the money ,in the form of unpaid for tax breaks,that he gave to the Koch brothers and their ilk....the same people who paid to elect him!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by nivekronnoco
reply to post by MMPI2

Your anti union rant is entirely false....
You should research before making things up out of whole cloth.

nah, friend.

nothing made up, false or ranting about the facts that I have stated.

they are facts, and the truth.

the truth hurts. i know it does.

somebody needs to start saying the truth about union corruption and the damage they have done to our country.

i can sympathize with your pain in finally having the truth laid out before you. i really can.

it does get better, though.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Again, wrong

politifact.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Errr...buzz yer self....You quote some Tea Party political screed...as if they were capable of printing the truth....
Epic fail....Walker is the paid lackey of the Koch brothers....The New World Order Incarnate....

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

Sad,that you know nothing about the union...
It's always said when your not able to get hired in a union shop....
Then the resentment just builds....Move on....
It's not the unions fault.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

I can tell that you did not even read it.

Deny ignorance. So much for that motto.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Again....these cheesy rags are paid organs of the TeaBaggers...
They wouldn't know a fact if it bit them on the Palin....

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

online.wsj.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Would it matter if there was a fire near your house, and the fire department was on strike? Or how about you are walking down the street, and someone was firing weapons and the police could not be there, cause they were on strike? Or how about, what does a parent do, if the teachers go on strike? Or if you are in the hospital, and the nurses go on strike? Would it matter if the electricity goes down, or the water, cause the workers there go on strike? Would the people be happy, if say, the phones stop working, cause the employees of the phone company goes on strike, and thus no service can be done? Would we be any safer in travel, if the air traffic controllers went on strike, and left their posts, grounding all flights in and out of the city, state and country?
All of those areas have one thing in common, and that is they are all unionized. It is not debatable about what all of the unions have done for the country and workers, however, they should not be able to do such, when it impacts the public sector. It ripples across the country and ultimately around the world.
Currently, many states are having to come up with ways to make ends meet, and to reduce the deficits that are affecting them. There are ultimately two ways to do that, one is that they cut services, laying people off, or start cutting back on the benefits that are given to the state workers, keeping the areas fully staffed. What all would you do? The governor, as most were, elected into office to solve the problems, created by prior governors and senates, where the promises were made, and now the states can not afford. Cities can declare bankruptcy, but states can not. But their credit rating can is often affected by what all they owe, and how much they are bringing in, via the way of taxes.
So there is the problem in a nutshell, how to reduce the deficit to where it not only solves the problem currently, but prevents it in the future, to keep the state solvent, along with keeping people employed, and spurring business growth. Right now that is the bottom line issue that is faced in Wisconsin, and many other states. Ultimately this is about money and politics, and the unions, along with its members are just as guilty, and a victim of such.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by nivekronnoco

I took the course in college.

It was one of the more eye opening....

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Attention!!!

This is an emotional issue, and members need to be respectful of the opinions of others.
Failure to do so can adn will result in post removals and/or warnings.

MOD NOTE: ALL MEMBERS: We expect civility and decorum within all topics - Please Review This Link.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Unions in the country after their historical beginnings and after management found out that having happy employees made them more money than unhappy employees have been historically corrupt and abusive. Proof of the corruption for anyone that got out of the 2nd grade is everywhere, but If they were not corrupt and had invested the union dues into the companies inwhich they were bargaining the unions would all be management today, without the ownership being stolen and given to them as Chevrolet.

As far as the poll I am very skeptical as I am of many so called independent polls. I would really like to see the actual question asked of the respondents. The results reported do not add up based upon the fact that union membership has been continually falling and the results of the midterm elections indicate that most people in the US are not leftists. The poll in complete candor does not appear to fit in the current political climate.

Finally public unions are an atrocity in that they take mandatory dues, use the money to buy other public employees(politicians) that have the power to assure them of more benefits at the expense of the non-public workers.

Overall I am afraid that the prophecy of Lord Acton 250 years ago may have arrived. To paraphrase " I give the US republic experiment about 200 years before it fails when the populace figures out how to vote themselves into the public coffers"

<< 1   >>

join