It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama under pressure to intervene in Libya

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Obama under pressure to intervene in Libya

Reuters(Please follow link to read full news story.)

Pressure mounted on the White House on Tuesday to intervene to stop Muammar Gaddafi's bloody crackdown on democracy protests as a lawmaker close to President Barack Obama urged oil firms to halt work in Libya.

The administration faced calls for military actions ranging from bombing Libyan airfields and imposing no-fly-zones, and criticism of Obama's silence on the violence in which hundreds have died.

Senator John Kerry, the influential chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, called on the Obama administration to consider reimposing tough sanctions on Libya.

"World leaders must together put Colonel Gaddafi on notice that his cowardly actions will have consequences," Kerry said.

Should The US step in with their military to help the people of Libya, or should they keep their hands off?

Do you think these sanctions will have any effect?

Giddafi has already threatened to destroy his own oil fields, and the only thing sanctions would do is harm the people and not Giddafi directly. Sanctions would not work in my opinion.

Where is the UN in all of this? why should it fall on the US to do something?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Well, this is an example where outside forces SHOULD intervene for the good of humanity.

So my guess is that WE WON'T.
edit on 22-2-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Why? Why should the US intervene? Lets see don't intervene in Egypt, Don't interven in Iraq but interven in Libya and Afghan. Hmm. What about Bahrain? Why not there? Or why not go blow the hell out of Somalia who just killed 4 US citizens? Obama has no problem with a little ethnic cleansing he's already said so.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Maybe fly a c-130 over, drop a few crates full of Ak's to the crowds, and let them handle it. As much as it would be nice to really help, we simply cannot afford it. Wish he would get some of our other allies to jump in.

Deebo
edit on 22-2-2011 by Deebo because: Grammar

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

Any outside forces should stay out of civil wars, the US included.
Let them fight it out, and it isn't as if the opposition to ghad..khadda...err the dictator doesn't have any guns now as alot of military has defected to the opposition, heck they even have pilots now too, all they need are jets.
Stay out of domestic disputes.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

I dont want the US to step in. I hope the US doesn't. Its none of their business to step in in the first place.

But with what Giddafi is doing to his own people I do think some kind of outside influence is warranted in this situation.

The US cannot afford another war, but the ones who would be directly influenced by this uprising should step in.

this whole situation is messed up.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

I can't agree with you more my friend. Civil wars are nothing but trouble for outsiders. The citizens have to overthrow their own governments. It's the only way they will ever receive the kind of government they thirst for. When countries intervene they eventually are looked upon as intervening in that countries domestic affairs. You know the U.S. will eventually use their influence to control Lybia's oil production.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Looks like a no win situation to me. If we intervene people scream that we shouldn't. If we don't people scream that we should. Personally I'd stay the hell out.

I would never want the job of President, which probably means I'd be pretty good at it.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by HoldTheBeans

Damned if we do Damned if we don't.

We cannot win either way.

I say sit back and like Egypt let the people fight for their rights otherwise their potential victory over oppression with our intervention will be perceived as yet another attempt by the West to manipulate the situation and rob the people of their hard fought victory over said oppression.
edit on 22-2-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
WAR WAR WAR WAR WAR WAR WAR WAR...war?...

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

His army is turning against him, the people now have guns.
Enough done, let them fight it out amongst themselves.
If the dictator is truly unliked the battle will be fairly swift, if not then maybe he should stay in power.
I truly know nothing of the man other than the propaganda i see on both sides. Oh yeah and he has a terrible plastic surgeon.
So being is i dunno i prefer not to put our boys or anyones boys into the saausage grinder.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Its none of the US's business and we should stay out of that mess. Why folks think that any country needs to engage in a soverign nation's desire for self determinaton is beyond me. Lets keep our hands out of the mess and let these folks sort out their own issues.

The only thing the US should do is advocate a non-violent process, nothing more. To the extent that it gets violent, it gets violent. If the international community wants to get engaged, let the UN take the lead.

Where has the UN been throughout these uprisings? Nowhere to be found.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Just a thought- if the people of the US started to revolt in the streets, trying to overthrow the government, do you think any other country would intervene? I kinda doubt it, but you never know.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
With so many illegal wars...i just can't see jumping in on this one? We should be re-evaluating our military policy to begin with. Gadaffi, is a bad seed, but then again, who are we ( the US ) to judge? We're no saints either. Let them handle it, its their nation, and their issue.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by subject x
Just a thought- if the people of the US started to revolt in the streets, trying to overthrow the government, do you think any other country would intervene? I kinda doubt it, but you never know.

Could not agree with this more.

The Americans would not stand for that either.

Canada might intervene, but it would be in the way of snowballs and beer.

Best. Intervention. Ever.

U.S. should keep to their own. They're spread pretty thin as it is. Divide and conquer comes to mind.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

UN is not the way, they are just the elites private army.
In the event of a civil war in the US, blue helmets die first.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

It would be the worst thing any Western power could do. Let them sort it out themselves.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
The United States should stay out of it, they can't win if they intervene...it's a lose/lose situation.

Plus, politically...it would be a bad move for Obama to get militarily involved in ANYTHING right now. Democrats (his supporters) HATE war....and Republicans would LOVE for him to do it so they can trash him about putting us into ANOTHER costly war.

I know people don't like politics dictating policy, but in this case I think it is one of the biggest reasons for Obama not getting involved. And I actually agree with it.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MindSpin

Democrats (his supporters) HATE war

That's why Hillary Clinton ( Democrat ) and John Kerry ( Democrat, just to name a couple ) voted for the war in Iraq huh, because they hate war?

Don't be naive...they are ALL on the same team...theirs!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
reply to post by MindSpin

Democrats (his supporters) HATE war

That's why Hillary Clinton ( Democrat ) and John Kerry ( Democrat, just to name a couple ) voted for the war in Iraq huh, because they hate war?

Don't be naive...they are ALL on the same team...theirs!

I'm not talking about the politicians, I am talking about the voters.

Contrary to what people think, they do care what voters think...and elections actually are legit.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join