It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indiana Democrats flee state to protest anti-union bill

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Indiana Democrats flee state to protest anti-union bill

www.rawstory.com

It's a virtual repeat of what took place in Wisconsin last week: Indiana's Republican Gov. Mitch Daniels, backed by a GOP majority in the legislature, introduced a bill that would restrict the bargaining rights of some unions. In response, indignant Democrats declined to show up to do the state's business as a protest.

Democrats held a demonstration in the Indiana statehouse, as they did in Wisconsin. Hundreds of protesters gathered to chant, "We vote! We work!"
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
online.wsj.com
www.theindychannel.com

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
IT'S SPREADING!! (I hope) Interesting that Indiana is trying to do the same thing to the unions. I wonder how many other states are going to try to do this. I know this sounds over dramatic, but I can't help feeling emotional. Like I'm about to witness something BIG! Just a feeling, but could be that nothing goes further than this.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

more democrat cowards running from their sworn constitutional duties.

the floor's sergeant-at-arms should be tasked with bringing them back...in shackles, if that's what it takes.

leave it to a "progressive" democrat to shirk his duty and run like a rat into the darkness when it's time to do his duty.

next thing we'll hear is they have fled to canada.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Of course something "big" is gonna happen.

These people think that government jobs = job security.

They went to work for govt for high pay, good benefits, and no threat of losing the job anytime soon.

They need a wake up call. They need the rug pulled from under them.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

I would be disgusted if they did not take a stand for what is going on.

I can understand that budget cuts are inevitable and we all have to take part if we are going to vote no on taxes, but the governor's of these states are using that as an excuse to destroy decades of hard to work. It was not easy to earn those Union rights, people died fighting for them. Perhaps it is true that People like you and I have no use for unions, but I know people who do. Their livelihoods are at risk, and I know a young girl who stands to go undernourished some days of the week if her mother loses her health care benefits. They won't be able to afford daycare for her either.

Frankly, if you can't understand that you are ignorant to a certain degree.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

Furthermore, it is ABSOLUTELY despicable to begin budget cuts with menial labor workers and teachers.

Why not cut the money that is used to fund the Armies Nascar car?

Why the # did we extend the bush tax cuts?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I can't help but think there is something fundamentally wrong in a situation where rather than discuss and negotiate on the issue... people have to run and hide.....

There must be a rule or two that needs changing regarding procedure......

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
We're getting the same protests here in Michigan. Maybe ours will go to Canada. My kid lives in the fine state of Indiana working for the Indy school system so this is going to hit home for us pretty quick. I'll shoot him an email and see what he says.

Here in Michigan we (at least I do) have a message for the runners avoiding this issue. I typically have $20 left after I pay my bills each payday. The well is dry, there is no more money, we are done. Once we get wound up here, I'll start at thread. Maybe we should have a catch all thread for all the states.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Marulo

i appreciate your semi-effective (if not well-worn) sentiment, but unions have sapped states' coffers long enough. teachers for one have effectively priced themselves out of the market.

tell me what other profession is mandated an average $100,000 salary for having a just 4-year degree. In a job where you only work 9 MONTHS OUT OF THE YEAR!

I know senior ER nurses that dont make that much...with master's degrees!

these are the same people that fought the 'no child left behind' law, which allowed quantification and examination of their effectiveness in imparting knowledge to students.

it's time for the unions as we know them to bid an overdue farewell.

if you really do have colleagues and acquaintances who belong to teachers' unions, you might want to tell them to start looking for other work.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I find it interesting how we all know the government is corrupt, yet nobody wants to talk about how much these lawmakers make and there benefits and retirement at the cost of the tax payer. They have you focused on the Unions and there members like there whats wrong with the USA today.

You know these political groups are funded by both corporate America and over seas interest, yet you side with them like they are good and know whats good for us...

I would laugh, but it's not really that funny

makes me wonder how many paid shills are posting on these boards now days....
edit on 22-2-2011 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Marulo

im going to recommend that you get a basic civics book and read up about what is a state financial issue and what is a federal issue.

it really is pretty simple.

states dont have the power to print their own money like the fedgov does. they really only get their money from taxing their citizens or from fedgov grants and handouts.

THE STATES, FOR ALL PRACTICAL PURPOSES, HAVE NO MORE MONEY!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

Where are teachers making 100,000 dollars a year? I am sorry that I am not aware that that is the case somewhere in America.

Both of my parents were teachers as well as my friends mother.

Although I am not entirely aware of their financial details. I believe my friends mother makes around 64,000 a year.

Where my mother makes somewhere around 45,000 dollars a year, and my father making somewhere around 78,000 a year. All before benefits. Anyone can survive on those budgets, so I am not worried about their livelihood as much as I am about labor unions like UFCW21 that are currently facing scrutiny in my state: Washington.

I am not saying that they shouldn't pay more, if any idiot is going to vote no on taxes then this what they should expect. But I just hate to see state governors begin with menial labor or teachers.

Now as far as "fleeing" the state goes. It certainly would be more commendable if they had stayed and argued their points with whoever opposes their ideas. I personally would have stayed to argue my points.

At the very least, I appreciate that they are doing something about it.

In the end, the teachers will have to pay more money into their healthcare but lets start with the richest percentile.
edit on 22-2-2011 by Marulo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by MMPI2
reply to post by Marulo

im going to recommend that you get a basic civics book and read up about what is a state financial issue and what is a federal issue.

it really is pretty simple.

states dont have the power to print their own money like the fedgov does. they really only get their money from taxing their citizens or from fedgov grants and handouts.

THE STATES, FOR ALL PRACTICAL PURPOSES, HAVE NO MORE MONEY!

I understand that.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Marulo

Where are teachers making 100,000 dollars a year? I am sorry that I am not aware that that is the case somewhere in America.

$100,000 year teacher AVERAGE in Milwaukee

Teachers are highly overpaid, considering the amount of time they actually spend "on the clock".

What is remarkable is that teachers have adamantly and vociferously REFUSED to even consider pay freezes, even though people in their communities have lost their jobs at alarming rates.

What else is a state executive supposed to do when forced to deal with people like this?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

What else is a state executive supposed to do when forced to deal with people like this?

Fire them.

Fire them.

Fire them.

Oh, and Fire them.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

Ah that is with benefits.

Well I believe education is one of the most important jobs in this country. I believe they deserve more money. I understand the debt we face. People are going to have to sacrifice, but you cannot deny that these pay cuts will affect the children education to varying degrees.

Are you willing to sacrifice education before you cut taxes for the rich? That is my issue with all this.

I feel that I should point out that I think half of the teachers I have experienced throughout my schooling deserve to be fired for incompetence.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marulo
Well I believe education is one of the most important jobs in this country. I believe they deserve more money.

They failed this nation. We are the laughing stock for being as uneducated as we are.

I believe they deserve to find another job honestly. Our education system is broke and it is a complete failure. The teachers get to keep their jobs though, because the Unions protect them. They can be entirely incompetent and totally ignorant and spread lies constantly. But that's ok, the Union's got their backs.

Push came to shove. The unstoppable force finally met the immovable object.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by Marulo
Well I believe education is one of the most important jobs in this country. I believe they deserve more money.

They failed this nation. We are the laughing stock for being as uneducated as we are.

I believe they deserve to find another job honestly. Our education system is broke and it is a complete failure. The teachers get to keep their jobs though, because the Unions protect them. They can be entirely incompetent and totally ignorant and spread lies constantly. But that's ok, the Union's got their backs.

Push came to shove. The unstoppable force finally met the immovable object.

All that my fifth grade kids have been taught the last two months in science class is how to build a geothermal home and the evils of oil. I bought my son a book on the elements and he said he asked her a question last week about one of em and she said she's never been interested in the elements. We had some choice words at their conferences last friday. Its pathetic.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by
Marulo

again, states can't cut income tax for the rich, just like they can't raise income taxes on the rich. income tax is, by law, the purview of the FEDERAL government.

states MUST cut one of the largest non-returning and constantly expanding expenditures - teacher salary packages.

these salary packages are absolute cadillac programs that are not deserved by their recipients.

continuing in the direction the unions appear to want to keep moving toward is not sustainable.

Ex

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

reply to post by
Marulo

again, states can't cut income tax for the rich, just like they can't raise income taxes on the rich. income tax is, by law, the purview of the FEDERAL government.

states MUST cut one of the largest non-returning and constantly expanding expenditures - teacher salary packages.

these salary packages are absolute cadillac programs that are not deserved by their recipients.

continuing in the direction the unions appear to want to keep moving toward is not sustainable.

I am sorry to disagree my friend, but State Tax and Federal tax are NOT the same thing!
Then stop giving tax breaks to the wealthy at a state level!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join