It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gaddafi orders oil sabotage, source tells Time columnist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Gaddafi orders oil sabotage, source tells Time columnist

www.reuters.com

Time magazine's intelligence columnist reported on Tuesday that Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi has ordered his security forces to sabotage the country's oil facilities, citing a source close to the government.

In a column posted on Time's website, Robert Baer said the sabotage would begin by blowing up pipelines to the Mediterranean. However he added that the same source had also told him two weeks ago that unrest in neighboring countries would never spread to Libya -- an assertion that has turned out to be wrong.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
online.wsj.com
www.time.com

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
well this reminds me of when Saddam sabotaged his oil fields during the first gulf war.

This is a move to not only cripple his own economy but to drive oil prices up around the world. Why would Gaddafi even do this? is he a mad man?

Italy happens to be Libya's largest customer. will they let this happen?

www.reuters.com

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ugie1028
Why would Gaddafi even do this? is he a mad man?

Umm... yes?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

well this reminds me of when Saddam sabotaged his oil fields during the first gulf war.

This is a move to not only cripple his own economy but to drive oil prices up around the world. Why would Gaddafi even do this? is he a mad man?

www.reuters.com

I thought it was Kuwait's oil fields that were sabotaged... not Iraq's' own fields.... except I think they claimed it was Iraqi oil... (slant drilling on the part of the Kuwaitis, allegedly)....

I think this would be self-destructive on Gaddafi's part.... his whole power base exists for no other reason than the oil he controls, no?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I cant help but think this is a snowball, that is going to keep rolling and picking up speed. Everyone should stock some essentials... When the S hits the fan chaos will arrive quickly.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I think this would be self-destructive on Gaddafi's part.... his whole power base exists for no other reason than the oil he controls, no?

He knows he's going down.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

www.reuters.com

I think he wants to show the opposition that while he may not have the resources to defeat them, he will leave a ruined nation in his wake if he's deposed.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Haha, I think he has proven he is an ignorant, cowardice madman. I agree though, "If this is true" why would he do it? Destroy the oil resources in his own country just to run up oil prices for the rest of us? That doesn't make sense, but what does make sense is maybe he knows he's about to be wiped off this earth in one way or another and wants to screw up as much as he can before he cashes in his chips. Someone needs to rid the world of this loser right now. it should have been done years ago.

Thanks for the thread..star and flag.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
sounds like a made up excuse to get the usa army involved to protect the oil....
i call b'll# on it....

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Because he has nothing left to lose. This is the End Game for him. He doesn't care what happens to anyone but him and his. That's why the US likes to keep as many dictators, puppets and maniacs on the payroll as it can: because it gives them something to lose if they screw with us, and a good reason to do what we say. This particular maniac has nada.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I thought it was Kuwait's oil fields that were sabotaged... not Iraq's' own fields.... except I think they claimed it was Iraqi oil... (slant drilling on the part of the Kuwaitis, allegedly)....

Slant drilling reminds me of that Simpson episode. hahaha

It still reminds me of that incident though. I should edit that and say Kuwaits's oil But I think this post is enough.

Your exactly right. His control comes from the amount of oil he produces. he knows he is on his way out so he is going to take everything and as many people as he can with him.

All I know is that Italy is going to be pissed if he goes through on his threat.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I cannot help but think by the time this is all over us in the West will be sent flying into the loving arms of our former enemies for oil.

"Chavez, Ahmadinejad, baby! Brother! You got some oil you can spare? I am jonesin'"

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Just gonna say a couple of things that chills me Muammar Gaddafi said in his speech "the world should know the truth" in his first speech live as the professional translater from fox was translating she was skipping a ton of his words and the new translated speech is 90 min?. He is in the know people i expect some disclosure of some big things.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by fatdad
sounds like a made up excuse to get the usa army involved to protect the oil....
i call b'll# on it....

Hmmm, I have to agree with you on this, my thoughts were the same, any excuse to get involved!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by coldfact
Just gonna say a couple of things that chills me Muammar Gaddafi said in his speech "the world should know the truth" in his first speech live as the professional translater from fox was translating she was skipping a ton of his words and the new translated speech is 90 min?. He is in the know people i expect some disclosure of some big things.

Diclosure on what?

What are your thoughts, the Stargate in the Gulf ???

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
This has all the makings of becoming a much much worse situation........ Col G has obviously lost the plot and therefore how long can the world stand by and watch another candidate for 'mad cow disease' destroy his own country, people and harm it's wealth and ability to look after itself....

Italy, with Silvio at the helm is probably more worried about where his next 'lays' are coming from than worry about a little teeny weeny oil problem BUT the International community will sooner or later intervene, Especially if a civil war breaks out.......... The reason being that Arab tribal factions may have supporters outside the boundaries of Libya and these may cause frictions in other countries where stability is still uncertain.....??

IMHO this can go two ways, firstly a lot more deaths and destruction but then an overall victor in favour of reforming Libya or the start of a regional then global conflict........we shall see..

Regards

PDUK

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

www.reuters.com

Unless he plans to blame the sabotage on the rioters against him ... then he can say .. "ah ha! ... see what they did !" ... then bring in the millitary infull force and "kill them all" ...

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by coldfact
Just gonna say a couple of things that chills me Muammar Gaddafi said in his speech "the world should know the truth"

Don't get too excited... his "truth" is probably that he's never done anything wrong in his life and we're all just lying dog rats.
edit on 22-2-2011 by FOXMULDER147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
This is bad,very bad.
For one,Gaddafi is finished,and he probably knows it somewhere in his deranged mind.
Second,he ordered to blow up Lybias Oil-Fields...

If he manages to escape with some of his Buddys...then the we in the West have a very big Problem...and that is a Deranged Man with alot of Money who is insane enough to blow up Oil-Fields...and as we now know after his "little Speech", in his Mind,everything currently happening is the Fault of the West...whats the best way to punish them?

Of course,blow up more Oil-Fields

new topics

top topics

join