It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How soon before Egypt invades Libya?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Libya, a country with massive oil reserves (over two percent of the world's known resources are within its borders), a tiny population density (just a few million, hardly unified people), and leadership in absolute chaos at the moment. It seems almost inevitable that the Egyptians, now officially under the control of their military, will invade this neighboring country before things have a chance to stabilize.

Egypt has thirty times the population, no oil to speak of, and could clearly benefit from an image rehabilitation that could come from intervening in Libya, stopping the murderous Qaddafi and rescuing the doomed, innocent people there from further carnage.

The United States, Britain and other Western nations have basically ignored the Libyan situation for decades, despite constant terror attacks against their territories that were directly and non-directly attributable to the Libyan dictator. Apparently, they don't have enough to gain from invading the country or attempting to topple the regime. Why wouldn't the Egyptians jump at the chance? It seems it would be relatively easy to accomplish.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Replicator EYD

I think the Egyptians are quite busy at the moment with the fallout from their own revolution....

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I considered that, but it seems that they're stable enough to invade Libya while the time is right. In fact, it could help in their recovery - especially if they really plan on doing things that would burn economic bridges with the US. Egypt has been propped up by American foreign aid for decades, and if that dries up they'll need another source of revenue.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Replicator EYD
The United States, Britain and other Western nations have basically ignored the Libyan situation for decades, despite constant terror attacks against their territories that were directly and non-directly attributable to the Libyan dictator. Apparently, they don't have enough to gain from invading the country or attempting to topple the regime. Why wouldn't the Egyptians jump at the chance? It seems it would be relatively easy to accomplish.

Actually, if you were to research the subject you would find Libya has been right royally shafted by decades of economic sanctions, bombed by the US and has been an international outcast. I think Gaddafi has been forced to pay for his attempts roll terrorism.

Why Egypt has not invaded. Why should they? Mubarak and his ilk have benefited very well from an oil-poor economy. An invasion of Libya would cause more grief than benefit.

Regards

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Just read this thread and I would like to agree that there is a good possibility for this and the West would probably 'turn a blind eye'....

Libya would make a nice little annex for Egyptians to visit and create another dive site on the mediterraen coast...

I do however think Israel would get a little upset as it would probably see such a move as an Arab unification and 'strengthen' in the region and we all know that cannot happen can it ??

Thought I'd just add this link.....
www.bbc.co.uk...

Regards

PDUK
edit on 22-2-2011 by PurpleDog UK because: added a new link

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
The probability of a land grab being done by either nation against the other is more like 85 against and 15 for meaning, NO! Egypt has to worry about a restructuring and if things go a similiar way in Libya then they will be too worried about not repeating a Ghadafi and both needs to concentrate now on rebuilding their respective nations.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
So far Egypt's military has behaved itself and acted in the best interest of their citizens, with maybe one or two minor blemishes but overall they did a good job, Muburak is gone and the military is setting up for election in six months (let's just hope for Egypt's sake they honor that time frame).

Libya's military did the exact opposite, they honored the whim's of a tyrant and are engaged in genocide against their own people - with only a portion of defectors who are supporting the populace in a few cities.

These defectors should invite the Egyptian military to come to their aid, Egypt would rise in a lot of people's opinions I think if they invaded in opposition to Gadhafi's troops, ended the genocide, and then called for a new parliament or elections once stability was achieved.

Then again, they may be paralyzed with fear since they're own stability is not yet assured.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Replicator EYD
Libya, a country with massive oil reserves (over two percent of the world's known resources are within its borders), a tiny population density (just a few million, hardly unified people), and leadership in absolute chaos at the moment. It seems almost inevitable that the Egyptians, now officially under the control of their military, will invade this neighboring country before things have a chance to stabilize.

Egypt has thirty times the population, no oil to speak of, and could clearly benefit from an image rehabilitation that could come from intervening in Libya, stopping the murderous Qaddafi and rescuing the doomed, innocent people there from further carnage.

ok let me answer with an Egyptian view
Why wouldn't the Egyptians jump at the chance?
first we are not a jumpers !
we are not like Israel or UK or the USA or Russia or the other invaders in the world "they are many BTW" we have a different situation form humanity.
the only agenda we have for the world is peace and that is more than a word it is something that have to be real !
about Libya u have to know :
Egypt did take the chance already
not to invade but to aid
now Egypt open it's border for the Libyan injuries
and the people of Egypt are gathering to help and sending aids and their blood for the Libyan people
I'm ready to answer your questions about the situation their if anyone like as long as my bad English can help me "sorry"
and i hope the picture is clear now
one thing more

i hope your next question will be why Egypt chose to aid rather than to invade Libya
regards

top topics

join