It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indiana Democrats Flee State To Block Anti-Union Bill: Reports

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00

Originally posted by centurion1211
Why are you even OK with the people you are forced to give money to telling you what to do and how to think and how to vote?

No one is forced to join a union. No one is forced into a trade or career; many careers have federal or state guidelines than many think are unreasonable. As a doctor, you adhere to certain laws and ethics and maintain your continuing medical education, or you lose your license. They "force" you to get a medical license and abide by certain stricter laws than the normal person. Does that mean they're evil tyrants for enforcing this? No, it means there's a set of guidelines for being in a career in a certain state that you either abide by or you don't work in that career in that state.

A totally incorrect answer.

The guidelines and education you refer to as required to be a doctor, for example, are are required to help prove competence in that field. This is done to protect the general public from fraud and injury.

Not so at all with union membership and dues. Those only enrich the union bosses and help their candidates and causes - with your money.

Plus, there's a few types of union states, which allow an array of union membership or non-membership options. "Closed-shop" or forced joining of a union before hiring is allowed was outlawed 60 years ago.

Closed shop was outlawed, but not union shop, which basically accomplishes the same thing - forced union membership if you want to get and keep the job.

source

A union shop is a form of a union security clause under which the employer agrees to hire either labor union members or nonmembers but all non-union employees must become union members within a specified period of time or lose their jobs.

The NLRA requires that employees must be given at least 30 days from the date of hire to join the union before they may be subject to being fired for failure to join the union or pay dues; shorter periods apply in the construction industry. The RLA gives employees 60 days to join the union. The union cannot, however, require that an employee become a member "in good standing": do more than pay dues or their equivalent. While a union shop agreement that, by its literal terms, requires an employee to become a member in good standing might appear to be unlawful on its face and therefore unenforceable, the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) and the courts have uniformly interpreted such clauses to require no more than what the law permits (such as payment of dues).

So, to maintain credibilty, you might want to stop posting information that has been proven to you (repeatedly) to be false.
edit on 2/22/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

The guidelines set forth by the unions have saved countless lives and brought this country out of the horrid working conditions it began in. All of the laws on the books now that protect worker rights and safety beyond unions are because the unions fought for those to be the standard.

You won't catch me claiming that unions are perfect and that they aren't corrupt like every.single.other.organization in the history of man. But they have their place and function, like so many other organizations from religion to the NRA. Fix the problems with the unions, don't outlaw bargaining. America was founded on bargaining as much as possible.

ETA: and what did I post that was false? You googled the "shops" of unions, great. I stated that closed-shop is illegal, and it is. Union-shop has a lot more leeway than being "forced" into the union or never working a day in that field at all. You can *bargain* the terms of union-shop. You can't bargain closed-shop.
edit on 23-2-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

closed shops are leagal and are running all over the states.(A closed shop in a right to work state is different.)(but if union has employer by the balls there you go.) Is this a new law or is this your own opinion....I am getting from what you say that you are as guilty at spreading Horse Crap as anybody else,,,,and if you stick to your words I will be thinking you dont know or haven't lived long enough to know what you are talking about...You see (and this proves your age) its not what your opinion is when you start spouting off crap, Its that you spout off truth. Know your material before you run your fingers.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikeybiznaz
closed shops are leagal and are running all over the states.(A closed shop in a right to work state is different.)(but if union has employer by the balls there you go.) Is this a new law or is this your own opinion

Thanks for the laugh, friend. I needed one.

Taft-Hartley Act

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   

my pleasure entirely

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by mikeybiznaz

Your expense as well, I'm afraid.

Once you read the act, you'll know why you look so foolish.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   

compaired to slave labor which you have sceen nothing of( because you already showed your age) what the heck do you know about slave labor. all you know is some fat F##K telling you what is this and that and you have "I can be him some day" so hot on your brain you're steaming off your scalp,,,,,,yeah I called it right didnt I....you want to be a Union Boss dontcha.....yeah well tell that to your guys when you are drawing big bucks to tell them "Strike" "Strike" what do they get when you dont get a cut in your salary. Your not the first kid on the block to think this way...but you may very well be the last....time will tell

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Um.......huh?

Besides the tired ad hominem attacks, your post is just ranting. Is there something I was supposed to respond to in there? You speak as if you know a single thing about me, and apparently what you've constructed is some very detailed and delusional insanity. Take your meds, man.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

yeah baby I called it right....come on big shot what 'cha got now? Taft act ? is that all you got? Have you actually read that or did ,yes you did hear it at a union meeting....dude you are not owed anything...you only have to work hard and get what you get.And if you think the time is right, ask the boss for a raise....If you know your stuff like you should or say, start your own company....That my young student is the way America was founded. But first you must learn the job and the business and be prepaired to hold the lives and families of men in your boom and bust....are you ready for that?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

See, again, more rambling and ranting. If you have anything on-topic or factual to add, let me know. Otherwise, I'm out on this thread for tonight. Take the night to formulate a logical argument, and let's talk tomorrow.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by HellstormRising
reply to post by Vitchilo

Vitchillo, I'm not really disturbed by the fact that two state's dems have abandoned there post because they aren't doing their jobs, I'm really freaking worried about what else is up. Two state's dems flee their state to the SAME state. We'll see if others do the same. If they do I would say what are they up to and why are they all fleeing to the same location amidst a simple bill that can either be passed or declined with a simple vote. So much for democracy.

Yep...that is exactly what I was thinking, also. I was about to post it when I saw your post. Its almost as though we were being misdirected...getting us to focus on one thing while something else takes shape. What is in Illinois? Why did they choose that state? And did they all go to the same city?

I also have to add that I truly did not realized until today that these officials were literally physically running away. I truly thought that the posts which I had seen, were written tongue-in-cheek. I didn't realize that they actually left...for real. Has this happened before? Totally crazy.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Ladies and Gentlemen,
what you are seeing is nothing more than
political extortion. Democrats doing a sit-out
til the GOP gives in to demands. And what happened
to US Policy where we do not negotiate
with terrorists?

Soros' interview earlier this week, he stated
that several states would default.

It may come sooner than you think.

And the Fed Gov may shut down in March
which will lead many more states into
default by an accelerated process.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
Ladies and Gentlemen,
what you are seeing is nothing more than
political extortion. Democrats doing a sit-out
til the GOP gives in to demands. And what happened
to US Policy where we do not negotiate
with terrorists?

Soros' interview earlier this week, he stated
that several states would default.

It may come sooner than you think.

And the Fed Gov may shut down in March
which will lead many more states into
default by an accelerated process.

So these people are terrorist now? So which brain dead idiot thought that up Beck or O'Reilly?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
The newly coined phrase being thrown around now,
FLEEBAGGERS!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join