It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indiana Democrats Flee State To Block Anti-Union Bill: Reports

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Indiana Democrats Flee State To Block Anti-Union Bill: Reports

www.huffingtonpost.com

Democratic lawmakers are fleeing Indiana in an attempt to block anti-union legislation, the Indianapolis Star reports. A source tells the paper that the Democrats will most likely enter Illinois, where fleeing Wisconsin senators are also ensconced as part of a similar maneuver.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Seriously? Democrats flee the scene in two states so far? What about being responsible and do your freaking job instead of leaving?

What would have happened if the republicans had left congress everytime Obama wanted to pass something?

And don't give me the argument that democrats are better than republicans. They are not. They both work for the corporations. Remember between 2006 and 2009, all Bush wanted to pass, passed.

Seriously...

But eh, I support the unions since workers needs rights... but lots of unions are corrupt as hell. Not to mention, the debate really doesn't matter, SINCE THERE'S NO MORE MONEY TO PAY YOUR PENSIONS.

So cry about unions all day long, it won't matter soon.

Also... what happens if the democrats start doing this in Washington? Or republicans in other states? Total gridlock... well... would be good actually.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 22-2-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
So it seems Illinois is fast becoming a "safe" harbor for tyrannical, elected public servants, that have been masquerading around as democrats. Is Illinois "the island"?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
It all makes perfect sense. AFSCME spent nearly $100 million on the 2010 midterms, nearly every dime of which went to the democrats. IF the unions lose power and money, so to do the dems.

It’s the worst kind of symbiosis and the taxpayers are tired of feeding it.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Vitchillo, I'm not really disturbed by the fact that two state's dems have abandoned there post because they aren't doing their jobs, I'm really freaking worried about what else is up. Two state's dems flee their state to the SAME state. We'll see if others do the same. If they do I would say what are they up to and why are they all fleeing to the same location amidst a simple bill that can either be passed or declined with a simple vote. So much for democracy.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

If they do I would say what are they up to and why are they all fleeing to the same location amidst a simple bill that can either be passed or declined with a simple vote.

Because they would be protected by the Illinois legislature from cops from other states.

How long before republicans who are in minority in other states leave their states too just for the hell of it?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

They're leaving to protect the interests of the people. People before Government, Always

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric

They're leaving to protect the interests of the people. People before Government, Always

You're joking right?

Anyway, Indiana is also preparing for riots, as is Wisconsin...

Wisconsin had only TWO bills against unions... Indiana has TWELVE.

Indiana has the BIGGEST pension fund for firefighters in the US... and of course the state want to get their hand on it to pay for things... Let me tell you people are freaking pissed.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric

Ummmm .... last I checked the people spoke in November to put an end to this $hit. Sounds to me like they are protecting their gravy train from AFSCME.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by HellstormRising

Vitchillo, I'm not really disturbed by the fact that two state's dems have abandoned there post because they aren't doing their jobs, I'm really freaking worried about what else is up. Two state's dems flee their state to the SAME state. We'll see if others do the same. If they do I would say what are they up to and why are they all fleeing to the same location amidst a simple bill that can either be passed or declined with a simple vote. So much for democracy.

In all seriousness, its probably because Illinois "borders" Wisconsin and Indiana". When the MSM sesationalize events like this, its usually because something else is currently going on, that tptb want to go "under the radar" if you will.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Just like Obama said, "Elections have consequences."

and, just like the Dems, who pushed blindly to pass Healthcare at all cost,
now the Repub's will do the same to their book-of-wishes. Abortion...Unions...

So, business as usual, with way higher stakes.

rev

SM2

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
The article states that they left due to a bill that stops unions and corporations from forcing NON union members to PAY fees for representation that they obviously do not want, seeing as though they are not in a union. So, that would seem to me that the dems are crying because their financial backers (the unions) do not get to steal even more money from the workers.

So explain to me how it is right for the union to take my money, without my consent? I want some union stooges to explain that to me

www.indystar.com...|breaking|text|IndyStar.com
edit on 22-2-2011 by SM2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Too bad you won't get the real reasons these democrats are leaving their respective states, listening to faux news. In Wisc, the governor can, sell all state owned utilities, without letting bids. Koch brothers anyone? It's in the union busting bill. It was the koch brothers that funded the crackpot governor in Wi.

Love it when you people say the gravy train is over (Limbaugh anyone?) but the problem is, Wi, had a surplus, until that governor called a special session to pay off those that paid to get him elected.

It's hilarious that only the unions that DIDN'T back the crackpot, are being targeted, the unions that did? Nope, they aren't included.

Love it when people say the media is liberal. That's laughable right there, they don't report the real reasons for union busting. Unions aren't the problem, paying off the wall street banksters, and the likes of the Koch brothers is breaking the states, not union pensions.

When the unions are gone, so is the protections that EVERYONE has enjoyed since the concept of unions. Gone, will be safe work conditions, 40 hour work weeks, vacation time, sick time, pto time, overtime and countless other protections. Enjoy it while you can, the party is nearly over. 70-80 hour work weeks? Looking forward to it. NOT.

The reason states are in trouble, is the economy, NOT UNION PENSIONS. The republicons are still playing the game, hoping to regain power. It's been the goal all along. I can't wait until they regain power, then the sheep will follow them over the cliff again.

The protests in Egypt, will look nice compared to whats going to happen here, when the right gets it's agenda going full force, and it's started.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
what I see is what I cant see and that is WHERE IS UNCLE BERRY? He has butted his head into other State issues.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
This should be grounds for impeachment and or a recall or vote of no confidence - hopefully these states have that provision on the books.

I hope their respective Attorney’s General will do their jobs!

Like a bunch of spoiled brats not wanting to clean their rooms. They made all the sweetheart deals to get in power then when the bills come due and they can't pay they run off.

I hate the Republicans about as much as Democrats but they have always been the lesser of the two evils.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by HellstormRising

Two state's dems flee their state to the SAME state. We'll see if others do the same. If they do I would say what are they up to and why are they all fleeing to the same location .

These acts a Tyranical....this isnt how our government was supposed to work

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by saturnsrings

Oh me! Oh my! So much low hanging fruit, where to begin.

Too bad you won't get the real reasons these democrats are leaving their respective states, listening to faux news. In Wisc, the governor can, sell all state owned utilities, without letting bids.

And how many utilities does the State government own? Do tell. (here’s a hint, the answer is zero)

Koch brothers anyone? It's in the union busting bill. It was the koch brothers that funded the crackpot governor in Wi.

I am sure you will have no problems demonstrating that with some source material from Opensecrets. What? You mean to tell me that the Koch’s didn’t donate so much as one dime to his campain! Say it aint so!

Love it when you people say the gravy train is over (Limbaugh anyone?) but the problem is, Wi, had a surplus, until that governor called a special session to pay off those that paid to get him elected.

Once again, more bull.

www.politifact.com...

It's hilarious that only the unions that DIDN'T back the crackpot, are being targeted, the unions that did? Nope, they aren't included.

Once again, more bull. Of the 314 fire and police unions in the state only 4 endorsed Walker.

The reason states are in trouble, is the economy, NOT UNION PENSIONS. The republicons are still playing the game, hoping to regain power. It's been the goal all along. I can't wait until they regain power, then the sheep will follow them over the cliff again.

Hey pal, were you asleep last November? Here’s a recap, the Republicans DID regain electoral control.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by saturnsrings

The protests in Egypt, will look nice compared to whats going to happen here, when the right gets it's agenda going full force, and it's started.

The right? That would be BOTH parties. They both work for the corporations.

The reason states are in trouble, is the economy, NOT UNION PENSIONS.

Actually it's both. The economy is in the crapper because of the banks who screwed the whole system, the government who wrote tons of loopholes for the banks to screw the system, the FED, and the export of jobs.

And the states are in trouble because the pensions promises were based on BS numbers and accounting. They promised IMPOSSIBLE returns.

No way in hell the pensions will get paid, wouldn't matter even if all the states were filled with democrats/pro-union people. There's just isn't enough money.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
The Demican's response to the Republicrat's "Just say NO!" policy?

"Just say GO!"

jus sayin'

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by saturnsrings
Too bad you won't get the real reasons these democrats are leaving their respective states, listening to faux news. In Wisc, the governor can, sell all state owned utilities, without letting bids. Koch brothers anyone? It's in the union busting bill. It was the koch brothers that funded the crackpot governor in Wi.

Love it when people say the media is liberal. That's laughable right there, they don't report the real reasons for union busting. Unions aren't the problem, paying off the wall street banksters, and the likes of the Koch brothers is breaking the states, not union pensions.

When the unions are gone, so is the protections that EVERYONE has enjoyed since the concept of unions. Gone, will be safe work conditions, 40 hour work weeks, vacation time, sick time, pto time, overtime and countless other protections. Enjoy it while you can, the party is nearly over. 70-80 hour work weeks? Looking forward to it. NOT.

Thanks for repeating the union bosses' talking points.

The real truth is that the unions don't want to lose the right to FORCE people to join them and pay dues in order to just get a job in that state. Dues that are then spent for political purposes many of the union members do not agree with.

If Wisconsin (and other states) return to being "right to work" states, then the workers can take the union dues they would have been forced to pay and apply them to their increased health care and pension costs. In other words, it would be a wash for the workers, and they would get to apply their money for something that does them some good instead for funding things like union political activities.

Sounds like a win-win situation for the workers.

Oh, and fear-mongering much on this turning into another Egypt?

This NY Times article says support for the union's position is starting to fade away as people understand the situation better.

And this article points out that even with the highest per-pupil education costs in the Midwest - and those $100,000/year teacher salaries - two thirds that's two thirds of Wisconsin 8th grade students can't read proficiently.

The problem and the solution are quite obvious ...

edit on 2/22/2011 by centurion1211 because: added more text

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join