It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy Arrested for Drawing Inappropriate Stick Figures by Police in Colorado, Taken Away in Handcuffs

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

You know so little about human development and boy, please don't keep saying this stuff, because its not informed, not child friendly, not even at basic entry level services in a community, including the police themselves.

That kind of lack of training or understanding wouldn't even qualify most for volunteering.
edit on 22-2-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
The American society has boxed itself in with so much legal bull crap .. and so many laws .. it's riduculous ..!
In the end .. as people or even schools have no option but to take the legal route to protect themselves over the simplest of issues .. as a 'just incase' ... the next phase (cops) does what it has to to protect itself 'just incase' ... and so on down the chain .. the whole picture then looks like a stupid over-reaction .. but this is now things are in the US .. people are too sensitive over things .. and scared to even scold a kid .. it's ridiculous ..
In other countries .. the kid would have received a few slaps from the teacher .. and that would be the end of it ..
The kid would never draw that crap in class ... no cops .. no parents ... kids grow up with discipine .. not this .. fashion and lipstick culture thats kids are into these days ...

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
While the kid likely needs counseling, I fail to see what law or even school regulation was broken. In addition, difficult to see the justification for cuffing.... I'd say the parents may have a good case for improper arrest, etc.

Who didn't draw comedy pictures of bad things happening to those who upset them? Can't be arrested for art (even if it may point to other problems)...that is a VERY slippery slope.

Arresting the kid for drawing that is like arresting someone for rape because they drew stick figures with boobs.

It's ridiculous.
edit on 22-2-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

So are you an advocate of juvenile hall, and the penal system as a means of "rehabilitating" an 11 year old that has concerned parents at home? I hope you are being sarcastic!

No way is this kid better off "in the system" than he is at home with his parents. And, despite your experiences, the juvenile justice systems breeds more criminals than reformed kids. It might be a last resort for a violent kid, or an orphan, but it serves no purpose for an 11 year old with concerned parents.

So, while my post may have been a little sarcastic to begin with, your response has cemented my mind even further that if he needs help, he needs help, but not juvenile hall or jail, and those things can only make it worse. My opinion is that there is absolutely ZERO chance of a kid like this being "reformed" in the system, and on a worst-case scenario, while he would probably naturally grow and mature out of this phase at home, it will probably be reinforced and enraged in the system, so an otherwise fairly normal kid will certainly become a criminal in the system.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
reply to post by Whereweheaded

You know so little about human development and boy, please don't keep saying this stuff, because its not informed, not child friendly, not even at basic entry level services in a community, including the police themselves.

That kind of lack of training or understanding wouldn't even qualify most for volunteering.
edit on 22-2-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

And you know me? With your attempt to portray yourself with vast knowledge of the ways of things, you actually have the audacity to suggest you know mine, much less anyone's elses thought process? You understand everyone's psyche? you must be God!
And yet, you judge me, based on what factual evidence you know my thoughts?
The only thing I see with your comment, is a blatant attempt of trolling.....and I give you 2

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
reply to post by TheSparrowSings

Hmmm... grasping at typo straws to defends your views... well done

Was making a point, but the other poster already brought on his own undoing, with his most recent response. Nice attempt at trolling as well....2

Not trolling. I never write replies like that but it seemed to be a ridiculous statement for you to make in regards to everything the poster had typed. If I disagreed with them I would have tried to find something to pick out of their thread besides their typo. Seemed like a childish statement to make, that is all.

So, I lost the point you where trying to make in your "typo-bash" statement. Was it that what you posted below, that children in the age group of 11-13 years could be considered threats? Was it that behavior like this should not be considered normal? It seem the poster you where replying to took more time to articulate their thoughts than you did so as to how they brought around their own undoing is beyond me.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

reply to post by filosophia

About 40% of boys have some degree of learning disability from what I read. So this is your Normal kid. .

Haha, what? Source?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
It is the goal of "The System" to produce criminals...much like the medical system will only treat symptoms...not produce a cure...there is NO MONEY in the process of healing. The MONEY is in the dumbing down of society and creating a gereration of "zombies" that are willing to agree to anything that they are told to do.

The child is in therapy. The therapist advised this child to draw pictures to help relieve any anger and confusion. This can not be allowed in "The System". This may be a breakthrough to help the walking wounded heal. I see a teacher and school system that is afraid of what they and society are producing in our schools. I've said it before and will again, our children are NOT ours. The government does own them from the day they are born to the day they die, just like the rest of the sheep.

I'm not saying ALL teachers are bad and should *___* like the kid said, then again he also said that music sucks. LOL...out of the mouths of babes...ya know? Instead of freaking out, why didn't the school have a Parent/Teacher/Student conference? Keep the LEO's out of it. (unless drawings of guns can commit murder)

Nah...too easy to communicate through discussion. Too easy to empathize and really attempt to understand young people today and for that manner one another.

The kid's arrest was not for his actions...he was arrested to send a message...anyone with eyes should see it.

edit on 22-2-2011 by Holly N.R.A. because: because

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
So a child who had the judgement enough to realize he was actively dealing with his disorders and stress levels in a highly sensible, respectable way is deemed a danger?

If this child had been documented having anger issues, lashing out against other students, being physical at home or anything some intervention MAY have been deemed. But the child was conditioned into understanding his issue, and how to cope with it. He was going to throw it away!!! He realized he got his point out, he probably even felt guilt. He wasn't plotting a murder, he wasn't enacting a massacre in his mind, he was coping.

And he's 11 years old. Whoever is afraid of an 11 year old kid, wow, I'm sorry for you. Sounds like this isn't the kind of kid who grew up in a bad neighborhood, whose parents are lazy drug dealers who leave guns around the house. Rather, a kid who was already receiving help through tough times in life, he was obviously taken care of.

I respect the kid for actually learning something in life. He learned how to personally deal with an inner conflict, learned that others can teach you something (through therapy) to control your life, and also learned to not respect the system long before it should have caught up to him. Good job police, creating a better revolution tomorrow by ruining today.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I'd probably also hate to be those cops now, too!!!

Bet they're a joke at the station.

"Oh there goes Officer Hero, arrested and processed the psychopathic 11 year old boy for drawing a stick-man picture"

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
In dealing with the certain trauma that would be associated with this childs arrest, I would recommend as therapy that this child and his parents read this entire thread.

Finding people who did the same things as children, hearing their stories (and those FUNNY songs) would be "music" to his ears. (Even tho music sucks), and a great validation.

I have been laughing my arse off! And some of the avatars are really funny too!

God speed to this child and his family and his lawyer.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Maybe the kid is angry at being imprisoned every day from 9 till 3 and missing his childhood? As far as he can deduce the teachers are enabling his captivity so has come to resent them.

After having some thugs come to his home and kidnap him (using the threat of violence) I'm sure they will be starring in his next angry picture.

edit on 22-2-2011 by Azp420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

medicating normal things instead of guiding is ABUSE.

This is absolutely true. Our society is so screwed up, kids are being taught that normal feelings are wrong, and that negative actions are perfectly acceptable. What kids need is proper guidance from adults who actually have good intentions, not strictly enforced behavior and "feeling control". If anything, this arrest probably greatly enhanced any anger or frustration this child has and made him more likely to act out, even if he originally had no intention of doing so. If the school would have sat down with him and his parents and politely discussed with them that the drawing of a teacher being shot was not appropriate, I'm sure this kid would have been able to grow emotionally and socially rather than revert backwards.
Society is crazy and the school systems are A RIDICULOUS SHAME. This world is going to hell because of ignorance like this.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
you must be kidding me! omg this kid has issues? every little boy draws pictures of him shooting people they don't like, and seeing as he IS in therapy and doing as the therapist says; i don't see why he would be arrested. arrested for a drawing!!!! how PC and butt-hurt p-whipped sensetive is america these days? good lord you cant even spank your child without some self-righteous ass-clown calling CPS and having your child taken away. american culture and society is a god damn joke

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
and so begins the age of Preemptive arrest...

I knew this was coming and the paranoid fearful American populace would beg and plead for crimes to be prevented.

And there in lies the problem, the paradigm shift in law enforcement from arresting criminals to preventing crimes by arresting before people become criminals.

sigh...

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SamTGonzalez

Boy Arrested for Drawing Inappropriate Stick Figures by Police in Colorado, Taken Away in Handcuffs

b eforeitsnews.com

The boy's parents say they understand what he did was inappropriate, but are outraged by the way Arvada Police handled the case.
The parents said "Tim" is being treated for Attention Deficit Disorder and his therapist told him to draw pictures when he got upset, rather than disrupt the class. So that’s what he did.
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 22-2-2011 by SamTGonzalez because: (no reason given)

Whats funny is i bet the officers that took him away have drawn violent pictures at some point or another. i think everyone has.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
in 99% of cases anyone under the age of 12 or in some states 10 cannot be charged with a crime at all. the most that could happen to this kid is he gets expelled from the school and child services can have him evaluated for a potential 5150 (danger to himself or others) in my state that's 72 hours in a psychiatric facility. then the docs report to the court and the court weighs the findings... arresting the child at his home is 100% illegal ....

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
They got him for a stupid picture like that?
Boy...they should have seen what I used to draw..mostly detailed gore and dismemberment as I was somewhat familiar with the human anatomy. I also played really violent games when I was just around 4 or 5 (actually I still do) if you think most of the video games today are violent, try playing Duke Nukem 3D, Rise of the Triad, Quake, and Postal. Those weren't only violent, but they're also really gory. But I turned out fine since I wasn't stupid and didn't act out on any of it...but I'm not sure if I can say that about today's kids...I think it's because they're disciplined less.

But anyway, none of the things I drew were directed at anyone, they were my own creations, my characters. As for "music sucks" I don't blame him, he's most likely talking about today's music. He needs a little dose of Zeppelin, Floyd, Beatles, and music like that.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
ATS has let me down here, your comments are sick, oh he drew a picture of sticks killing people, he's crazy. # you, when i was a kid, that was my hobby, i like drawing people shooting stuff and spaceships shooting stuff. Just because someones interests aren't what "meets the norm" Doesn't mean they are crazy, it means they are themselves, saying because someone drew something means they are phyco, how does an artist get away with drawing a civil war reenactment?

Deny ignorance?

Not in this thread.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Holly N.R.A.
It is the goal of "The System" to produce criminals...much like the medical system will only treat symptoms...not produce a cure...there is NO MONEY in the process of healing. The MONEY is in the dumbing down of society and creating a gereration of "zombies" that are willing to agree to anything that they are told to do.

The kid's arrest was not for his actions...he was arrested to send a message...anyone with eyes should see it.

edit on 22-2-2011 by Holly N.R.A. because: because

I agree with your statements, wholeheartedly. My second born boy was a "handful" as a toddler....near genius IQ, and later diagnosed as ADHD. The "cure?" Ritalin, "of course!" I rarely ever gave it to him, preferring instead to physically restrain him. But the days he was a "danger" to others and I was exhausted, he got Ritalin. I would feel sooooo guilty afterwards. His actions and problems were not environmentally induced, but he sure learned how to act out at an early age! Thank God he's a grown, responsible adult now. I would hate to think of the legal problems I'd have now with some of his actions. For instance, I got called in to the daycare director's office once because my son had "exposed" himself out of anger at the teacher, for taking a favorite toy away. Age? FOUR. Future sex offender? NOPE. But I could almost envision him being arrested and charged with a sex crime in THIS day and age for that performance!
edit on 22-2-2011 by Toots because: grammar correction

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join