It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US consumer confidence hits three year high

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

US consumer confidence hits three year high

www.rawstory.com

WASHINGTON — US consumer confidence hit a three year high in February as Americans became more optimistic that their finances would soon improve, according to a widely-watched indicator.

"Consumers are more positive about the economy and their income prospects, but feel somewhat mixed about employment conditions," said Lynn Franco, director of the Conference Board's consumer research center.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
And in today's absolute BS, propaganda news:

Consumers are upbeat, ready to spend, spend spend! Listen to the message repeated by the "experts"---You are confident, all is going hunky dory, spend, spend, spend sheeples...

Nevermind gas prices are nearing the $4.00 mark and climbing! Never mind EVERYTHING is rising in price, while those who still HAVE a job's wages remain stagnant!

Listen to the spin-masters continue to skew the numbers and convince the populace that unemployment is a mere NINE PERCENT of the population...Ignore those tent cities and shops with the "for lease" signs on them...Go back to robotic, consumerist sleep...

Ah, another fine day in the brainwashing sector of the propaganda matrix...

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

LOL!!!
But walmart is posting epic lows.
They are the single largest retailer in America i think.
Sounds like more D.C. propaganda.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
With the perception being what it is, consumers are less likely to change/reduce their driving/spending habits. If the uprisings that are occurring around the world right now have indeed been "orchestrated"/"perpetrated" by TPTB, than timing is everything. What a better time to start or escalate the skirmishes over near the suez canal, than after the S&P500 has doubled off its lows, tax refund money is coming in and will be spent immediately by the needy and news stories like this one, to keep the unwary consumers on their spending spree's. They sense that people have some money, and they want it...in fact they are fighting over whos gonna get your/our "money".
I hope this makes a little sense, cause stuff like this just tee's me off, to the point where I may not have conveyed my thoughts very well! Star and flag D.D. you always bring pertinent material to the table, thankyou.
edit on 22-2-2011 by G.A.G. because: sp.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
That in my opinion, appears to be complete BS.

Ours is currently -29...and I think we're doing better than the USA..
It's our lowest since 1994 for Balingo's sake.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Maybe it's a ploy for people to start spending and thereby boost the economy?
The economy is purely driven by consumers...it's all about speculation and confidence..
edit on 22-2-2011 by BlackPoison94 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
funny that case schiller housing report came out today and it doesn't look good with prices still dropping...

But the government swears there is no inflation and the recovery is all but in the bag.

... Things are going well and truly pear shaped, but you wouldn't know it based on what the news is telling us!

The revolution will not be televised people.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
they've been touting this "recovery" just about once a week since the stimulus. maybe they think if they wish on it hard enough it will come true.

what this report should of said is "gas and food prices will explode within the coming months, unemployment will get worse, and forget the housing market ever turning around".

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I don't really see the problem here. I give all my money to TPTB like a good little prole every month, and I'm sure most of you here do too. Gotta live and pay taxes, so we don't hoard it like the corporate elite do.
Propaganda is soooooooo right. But then, economics is really just a theory and in very large part pure propaganda to herd the masses and self-fulfilling prophecy anyway.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

If high is the new low I guess that makes sense??
Nice post! Most of the people I'm around are waiting for the whole thing to break down because the finacial black hole just seems to get bigger and bigger, but yea three year high, I think our govenments has been high for at least the last three years
Their confidence must be soaring, picking our pockets while they vacation away in paradise.

S&F
edit on 22-2-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Funny in the run up to Christmas all I heard in the UK was that it was going to be a bumper Christmas, the best ever, and everyone was confident and going to spend more... and look how that worked out.. (even ignoring the weather)

I suspect the same spin is happening to you guys... guess it shows the level of desperation being put out to attempt to prop up the failing confidence in the system.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
In my neck of the North East it sure isn't looking too good. I presently drive a concrete mixer and after the initial ground prep we are the next people to be on a building site. In the last 18 months very few projects other than additions or improvements to existing structures are seen here. Most of my brother drivers from other companies here are working 1-2 days a week if we are lucky. Doesn't sound too promising for the future either!

Zindo

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackPoison94
Maybe it's a ploy for people to start spending and thereby boost the economy?
The economy is purely driven by consumers...it's all about speculation and confidence..
edit on 22-2-2011 by BlackPoison94 because: (no reason given)

I'm sure it is, but the reality of it is we could all give them all of our money, every cent, and we would still not break the debt barrier, and we would all be pennyless in a broke nation.
This and the unemployment numbers lie, what next - a millions dollars will be the new penny.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Holy crap, what the hell are they smoking?

Whatever it is I want some, it'd be nice to be able to believe that for awhile.

How can we avoid disaster when our so-called leaders all seem to be living and making policy in a fantasy world?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
its nice to know that the UK isn't the only place thats not being honest.

I can't speak for the whole country but where I live (one of the worst hit parts of of the UK) its pretty obvious that even if food and petrol prices don't rocket, that things are going to get worse.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Doesn't seem the stock market got the memo. The Dow is down 176.45 as of this posting time.

ON ^DJI
Dow Jones Industrial Average
(DJI: ^DJI )
Index Value: 12,214.80
Trade Time: 1:53PM EST
Change: Down 176.45 (1.42%)
Prev Close: 12,391.25
Open: 12,389.74
Day's Range: 12,198.30 - 12,389.82
52wk Range: 9,596.04 - 12,418.00
Quotes delayed, except where indicated otherwise. Currency in USD.
Tech Ticker

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Wow. If its so good now then why are jobs still rare to find and food expensive to buy? Even the poorest regions of the U.S get a raw deal when it comes to buying what is needed for survivability. Who are they fooling really?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Consumer Confidence is a Lagging Economic Indicator.
A stock market sell off and higher gas prices will change it.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

There is a distinct difference between what is fact and what we are to tell each other while waiting at the food pantry, or the unemployment line.....

As usual... I questioned who could be the bearers of such good news? How might it serve them to be so unrealistically optimistic.... and based upon what 'expertise' where they providing us with this joyous rose-colered dose of their reality......

Though you might find this interesting.....

The source of this good news...... The Conference Board
www.conference-board.org...

The Conference Board is a global, independent business membership and research association working in the public interest. Our mission is unique: To provide the world's leading organizations with the practical knowledge they need to improve their performance and better serve society.

Chairman
Alan M. Dachs
President and CEO
Fremont Group

Vice Chairman
Dr. Josef Ackermann
Chairman of the Management Board and the Group Executive Committee
Deutsche Bank AG

Harry M. Jansen Kraemer, Jr.
Executive Partner
Madison Dearborn Partners

Ronald A. Williams
Chairman
Aetna Inc.

Trustees:
George S. Barrett
Chairman and CEO
Cardinal Health, Inc.

Douglas R. Conant
President and CEO
Campbell Soup Company

Samuel A. Di Piazza, Jr.
Retired CEO
PricewaterhouseCoopers

Jeffrey E. Garten
Juan Trippe Professor of International Trade and Business
Yale University School of Management

Anne Golden
President and CEO
The Conference Board of Canada

Francisco González
Chairman and CEO
BBVA

Ilene S. Gordon
Chairman, President, and CEO
Corn Products International Inc.

Raj L. Gupta
Retired Chairman and CEO
Rohm and Haas Company

Klaus Kleinfeld
Chairman and CEO
Alcoa Inc.

Chee Onn Lim
Chairman
Singbridge International Pte Ltd.

Padraig McManus
Chief Executive Officer
Electricity Supply Board

Vikram Malhotra
Chairman of the Americas
McKinsey & Company

Michael E. Roach
President and CEO
CGI Group Inc.

Edward B. Rust Jr.
Chairman and CEO
State Farm®

Jonathan Spector
President and CEO
The Conference Board

Hans Wijers
Chairman Board of Management
AkzoNobel NV

edit on 22-2-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join