It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libya's Gaddafi: 'I Will Die A Martyr'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
A post-Gadaffi Libya MAY be just as divided and bloody as Iraq turned out to be.

I am no admirer of Gadaffi but it is worth noting that prior to his coup Libya was riddled with internecine tribal conflict.
The majority of the population were illiterate and homelessness was a very big problem.

Gadaffi's regime had sought to resolve age old tribal differences whilst illiteracy and homelessness have both almost been eradicated.
Libya also has a relatively high life expectancy, around 70 years old, and a reasonably high standard of living for the region.

It is also worth noting that women play almost an equal role in Libyan society, unlike in many Islamic / Arab countries.

Obviously this has been at the expense of certain civil liberties and it seem's apparent that tribal resentment may have been bubbling under the surface.
In fact Gadaffi has been using tribal differences over the last few years to maintain his control as his popularity has waned.

Towns and cities where people have different tribal affiliation to that of Gadaffi were amongst the first to support the uprising.

www.bbc.co.uk...

If Gadaffi does 'die a marty' then there is a distinct possibility that many other Libyans will be joining him and who knows exactly what type of regime will end up gaining control?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Many ATS members are relatively young (at least compared to me) and I would urge them to very thoroughly review what we know of history when it comes to the man.

He has been the villain, and then the darling, and then the villain again of many western nations (which is to say he has - on and off again - both supported, and thwarted many transnational corporate activities key to the interests of the leadership of those nations.)

It is necessary to take this into context, because he has been cast in a "role" for the international stage at this point. I suspect it was not according to his plan or desire; and as such he will migrate increasingly to the "out there" world of the shunned leader... making him dangerous (especially considering the idea of "martyrdom.")

Our "news" agencies and their editorial and contextual masters may not let us formulate a measured idea of what is happening here... simply because they are conditioned to assume it's theirs right to 'tell us what to think.'

Years ago.... (many) ..... he was slated for 'removal' due to his posturing against the west.... somehow - he managed to end up as the president of the African union..... such political international currency comes only with the usual back room deals.....

Now we have this.

History seems to indicate that as much media grandstanding as there will be over this man's "evil" regime.... for reasons beyond my understanding it is only NOW that we are hearing of the heroic plight of his people.... sort of the same as Egypt.... are we learning yet?

edit on 22-2-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Gaddafi sounds defiant and a little mad .... however, he seems to acknowledge it could end in his own so-called martyrdom. Whether his army are now just following orders through fear of death or just following orders remains to be seen. The air strikes on civilians could be the tip of the iceberg - I suspect at the first signs of defeat and truly being overthrown the oil wells will be targeted by the military...

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by hillynilly

Think about what? That the idea of good riddance for Khadafi is a bad thing? I'm confused.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
May he be allowed his last wish, as any convicted murderer is allowed by all societies....just die.

And probably many more thousands will be saved and spared his beastly instincts of murdering his own kind.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
To add to this discussion I found this article concerning Obama's take on the revolt or the White House if you will. After reading I find it strange that they were quick to tell Mubarek to resign but yet here is a man that has American blood on his hands and nothing to say? Just who's side are we on?

www.politico.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I've been following Al Jazeera and Twitter. Together these forums have painted a pretty good picture of the events as they unfold.

#Gadaffi #Libya

english.aljazeera.net...

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

Here you go.
This thread got overlooked...

Will Gaddafi's female bodyguards protect him till the death?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
What a fool he is... you can't be a martyr when you ARE THE OPPRESSOR!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
What a fool he is... you can't be a martyr when you ARE THE OPPRESSOR!

simple and straight to the point
exactly

...and to me the "martyr" card is the west's version to something we do over here.... like the US government saying we are fighting for "freedom"

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
It seems Qaddafi is having the "Fuhrer bunker mentality?" "If I go down, everything goes down with me!" He is no friend to Libya or the world for that matter. The man is showing his true colors as these demonstrations continue. There are allegations of his sabotaging his countries oil infrastructure, hiring foreign mercenaries for Sub-Saharan Africa as shock troops to commit atrocities, and other affronts to Libya and its people.

Gaddafi's Next Move: Sabotage Oil and Sow Chaos?

The sabotage, according to the insider, is meant to serve as a message to Libya's rebellious tribes: It's either me or chaos.

Moammar Gadhafi's Private Mercenary Army 'Knows One Thing: To Kill'

Moammar Gadhafi is using foreign mercenaries from Africa who don't speak Arabic, as a private army to protect his regime and they have shown no hesitancy to fire on civilian protesters, witnesses have said.

He ought to leave, but that seems to be out of the question. They are going to have forcefully remove him from power, because he has vowed to burn the nation to the ground before giving up. The man is delusional and is living in a fairytale land. His stubborn defiance is doing no good, and it is only going lead to more deaths and destruction. Now, he is threatening to cut-off oil to Mediterranean countries which could lead to possible unrest there as well? Most recently there is a emergency UN Security Council meeting set to take place over this issue.

Security Council meets on Libya, as UN officials urge end to violence against protesters

Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the United Nations human rights chief have both called on the Libyan authorities to immediately end their violent crackdown on protesters, and the Security Council is meeting today to discuss the situation in the North African nation.

The cheese has slid off of the man's cracker, and he is nuttier than a Snicker's bar. When there was mention about going after the oil, that is when the international community really took notice over this. It seems this ruthless despot's reign is drawing to a close, but his kicking and screaming is going to drag the country to hell before it is done.

edit on 22-2-2011 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join