It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global fund to fight AIDS, TB and Malaria corrupt!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
This global fund to fight the three big killers in (mainly tropical/African countries) was founded to navigate UN bureaucratic methods, which already caused long-winded splits between "donors" and the people actually affected.
In West African countries much of the money vanished through fraud. Nevertheless, the fund did manage to provide treatment for several million TB/Aids patients, and chemical mosquito nets against malaria.
It is associated with celebrities like Bill Gates and Bono, as well as several countries - notably Switzerland.
The question now is whether this fund can regain some face and reputation, or whether charity fatigue will set in and poor patients who did benefit will be cut-off.
Increasingly it seems that such funds are a means of distributing money to corrupt politicians friendly to Western policies and politics. (This allegation was also made against George W. Bush's Presidential Emergency Relief Plan for Aids, which focused on treatment solutions friendly to Christian Evangelicals by funding abstinence rather than proven condom campaigns, and refusals to fund any group advocating the decriminalization of prostitution.)
Of course they do provide some relief for affected communities, which allows some justification for donors.
What is really sad is that medication is stolen and sold on the black market in poorer nations.
In South Africa some ARVs are stolen from patients outside clinics, and smoked with rat poison and cannabis as a new street-drug called "Whoonga".
How could this change in a way that could make everybody happy?
Is this just the reality of a "corrupted Africa", or is it the deliberate unspoken policy?

One of many articles:
slinkingtowardretirement.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Government funded ARVs go up in smoke in SA - the Whoonga epidemic:

This makes me so angry.
Well, the community is standing up too, but it's a rising problem.
I wonder- do people in the US also smoke Whoonga?
Is it unique to SA?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Research Bonos' AIDs fund registered in Britian . About 6 months ago outside auditors found that of the millions raised about 3% actually went to AIDs and the rest went for administration . A huge staff and the managers are walking in tall cotton on donated money . He's been dieing for a Nobel Peace Prize and sooner or later he'll get one . Yassar Arafat the terrorist got one as did Al Gore the global warming carbon taxer hoaxer so you don't have to be honest and in fact in Arafats case you can be an evil mass murderer .

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
The following summary was written by Catherine Pagett on the 60 Percent HIV/Aids/gender resource group's updates.
See: [email protected] or lists.hst.org.za...
Unfortunately The Economist source article will no longer open, let alone paste.
I quote Catherine Pagett:

"Can the Global Fund to fight Aids, Tuberculosis and Malaria restore its reputation as the best and cleanest in the aid business? BEING attacked on Fox News was probably the worst, but all the past month has been horrid for the Global Fund to fight Aids, Tuberculosis and Malaria, backed by $20 billion and one of the world's biggest do-gooding outfits. Set up in 2002, it is used to appreciative coverage of its efforts to stamp out three of the deadliest diseases. The unexpected woes started with an Associated Press story entitled "Fraud plagues global health fund" on January 23rd. It claimed that up to two-thirds of some grants went astray, with "astonishing" corruption in some cases. It cited faked invoices, phoney training events and other abuses, chiefly involving health ministries in some African countries. For Fund insiders, that was nothing new: evidence of the misuse of $34m paid out in Mali, Mauritania, Djibouti and Zambia became public knowledge in October.
edit on 22-2-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Such a funny video.
I'm sure the lady means very well, but isn't this The Fund blowing smoke up its own butt?
Teacher tells the many benefits of the Fund to the tropical "kindergarten" (we're all a bit slow, you see).

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

This is strange:
"The Global Fund has given out 100 million bed-nets.
These nets are treated with a poison ..."
Huh?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Told you guys Bono is a jerk.

As for all the corruption in these funds.... well that's the way Africa is. It's how things have been done here for years.

It's all rotten. Don't know how these people can go to sleep at night.

Whoonga is far as I understand is unique to South Africa. Saw it on SkyNews. They were talking about how some of these addicts wait outside clinics so they can steal the meds off people.
edit on 11/09/2010 by SlovenlyGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Only saw now you posted the video. That the one I watched. I'm glad the community isn't tolerating it.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Africa has been the piggy bank for the UN and nearly all the charities founded to 'Help the Poor Souls In Need"! It started with the old 'Care Packages' back in the 50's-60's! Then 'Trick or Treat for UNICEF'! They are ALL scams with a return rate of less than 5% to the actual deserving in the countries it was raised for. Shameful, just shameful!

Zindo

Edit to note that these programs were in EVERY school system through out the US. I'm not sure about Europe but I would not be surprised!
edit on 2/22/2011 by ZindoDoone because: additional info

new topics

top topics

join