It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Zealand EQ caused 30 million tons of ice from Glacier

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I don't know much about Glaciers either, but I am wondering if anyone is planning on taking core samples of it. I love reading about things that are found in them as they melt.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
I don't know much about Glaciers either, but I am wondering if anyone is planning on taking core samples of it. I love reading about things that are found in them as they melt.

"mom", its odd that you would bring that up, because everytime I look at the first photo in this thread, there is a black "layer", running through the iceburg (on the left). It is much different in color than the rest of the 'burg. Almost like a thick layer of "ash" or "dirt", but I only see one of these "stripes", making me want to subscribe to the thought that, whatever is responsible for it, only occurred once, or over a relatively "short" amount of time. A core sample, would tell us basically what it is and "roughly", when it was deposited. In all likelyhood scientists probably took core samples "before" this occurence, and its a matter of accessing the data...hopefully.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by G.A.G.

Originally posted by chiefsmom

"mom", its odd that you would bring that up, because everytime I look at the first photo in this thread, there is a black "layer", running through the iceburg (on the left). It is much different in color than the rest of the 'burg. Almost like a thick layer of "ash" or "dirt", but I only see one of these "stripes", making me want to subscribe to the thought that, whatever is responsible for it, only occurred once, or over a relatively "short" amount of time. A core sample, would tell us basically what it is and "roughly", when it was deposited. In all likelyhood scientists probably took core samples "before" this occurence, and its a matter of accessing the data...hopefully.

Actually it appears there is two darker stripes. I wonder if the timing of these anomolies, coincides with a couple of the "mass extinctions", that have taken place?

new topics

<< 1   >>

join