It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baby dolphins are washing up dead on the gulf

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mutantgenius

Maybe, just maybe dolphins don't appreciate their 'air supply" as in their living environment (sea) being totally poisoned by Corexit 9500?? Are people really surprised that this is happening?? What did they envision would happen to the sea-life once their water had been poisoned by BP?? Did people think that the sea-life would continue to swim around happily breathing in poisons and it would have no affect?? Hello, wake up people...

If our whole atmosphere (air) was suddenly poisoned with Corexit 9500, how do you think we would fare as a species?? would we be happily running around breathing in poison and would it have no affect on us??

This is so obvious it's not even funny. Why was the Corexit 9500 dispersed in that particular area of sea? apart from the orchestrated oil spill?? because the global tides travel through this very area and are therefore able to spread the poison around the world in the global tides and wreak as much havoc and decimation of sea-life in as short a time as possible. I'm not being bitchy or anything, just pointing out the obvious.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwitina948

Yeah. I think we are all kinda feeling like that towards this topic at the moment. (Bitchy) It is fairly obvious to all of us- the rest of the world doesn't seem to care/want to know. This is why we have to make an effort to keep the topic fresh and make sure people keep hearing about this.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
www.miamiherald.com...

NOAA is now in charge of figuring out what happened to these Dolphins, I guess we'll never know the truth now..
www.mcclatchydc.com...
www.floridaoilspilllaw.com...

And this which states: Veteran toxicologist Dr. William Sawyer, a member of my research team, says the dolphin deaths are an outcome that could very well be linked to BP’s spill. He explains: “Toluene and aromatic hydrocarbons are known to cause spontaneous abortions and severe birth defects in humans and other mammals.”
www.floridaoilspilllaw.com... gined

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I went out yesterday to catch some redfish outside the ship island channel. Took a spin round Cat, Ship, and Horn island just to see if I could find anything, I seen something ashore but It was just a dead salt water catfish and then i seen a horseshoe crab perished.

My boat is not that big, I just fitted it and built it unsinkable with marine foam, but still I have to be careful in a 16 foot boat 14 miles from mainland, but my boat is built like a stud, and I know how to ride the big waves in a bad situ.....

So good for the Mississippi islands as far as I know this weekend!

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Came across this article www.wlox.com... local main stream news in regards to the dying dolphins and the proverbial canary in the coal mine.

Their final conclusions could take weeks. But Solangi said if you're not really interested in dolphins and wonder why this matters so much, the next link on the chain of life, is humans "These animals are top of the food chain. They're mammals like you and I. They give birth to babies and are given milk, so they are good biological indicators of the environment. So ultimately, what happens to them will happen to us. So basically, they are the canary in the mine."

Scary stuff.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
www.earth-issues.com...

"They point to an apparent correlation between large pulses of chilly water that flowed into Mobile Bay during January and February and the subsequent discovery of dozens of stillborn dolphin calves in area waters.

Data on water temperature and river flows show periods in each month when bay waters dipped into the 40s for days at a time. Shortly after bay temperatures dropped precipitously, dead stillborn dolphins began washing ashore in Alabama."

^^^^^^^^^^^^Yeah Right...and lerprecauns live in my shoes^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
edit on 3-3-2011 by mutantgenius because: add some text from article.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Well, it is about time that pregnant women who lived near the Gulf, breathed the air, swam in the waters, and ate the seafood should be starting to have effects. The chemicals become concentrated in the filter fish like shrimp, oysters, crabs, and then the game fish eat those and take in concentrated amounts of chemicals, and then we eat the game fish, so the whole process takes a little while to work through the chain to us.

I wonder if the news will have the cahones to report any spikes in premature births, miscarriages, or defects?

If the science is right, we should start seeing the spikes any time now.

By the way, Gestation Period for dolpins is 11 to 17 months, and for humans it is only 9 months. I think that also means that if we are going to see birth-related effects, we will start seeing them any day now.
edit on 3-3-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

news.sciencemag.org...

I just saw this on Rense the other day. It's a day late and a dollar short and will probably be biased as all heck, but may shed some light on the trouble at hand. I agree with you getreadyalready the repercussions are just starting to take effect and time will bring all of this out for everyone to see. Saying that, look at DU and the birth defects that it has caused, it's still being used and the majority hasn't seen the results of it. I can't blame the media anymore, people need to open their eyes!
edit on 3-3-2011 by mutantgenius because: spelling

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by mutantgenius

People do need to wake up, but I still blame the press for just trusting the government releases instead of doing their own unbiased investigations. My parents and brother are living in Missouri now, but I am on the Gulf Coast. People down here are not eating the Oysters and Shrimp the way we are used to. The hardcore fishermen are still eating the game fish, but us novices are waiting it out. I know some seafood exporters that cannot sell Gulf Shrimp to save their lives (or businesses), so instead, it is all going to the Midwest. My Mom says every restaurant is advertising "Gulf Shrimp" and has great buys on it and great deals. The stuff that used to get exported is now being sold at a discount in places that are less familiar with seafood and the whole situation on the Gulf Coast.

The press could be warning people to at least be wary. At least stay away from it if you are pregnant. The press could be contacting folks like That are doing research like our ATSers, or they could be doing their own research. I still blame the press.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

When are you going to get the hell out of there? Not saying your old home town is any safer........At least seafood is not a staple food for the Mid-West ..........I remember a video I found last summer………I hate to be a party pooper but Getready is right........Anyday now we should start seeing spikes..............Due to the HIPAA law.......you will never know if its affecting your community until its tooooo late …………..Click on the link to see the video......

Bottom-feeding fish used as hog feed

Meanwhile, despite these concerns, bottom-feeding fish like mullet are currently being caught and eaten all over the Gulf, with the potential risk not being limited to direct human consumption of the fish, but indirectly by mullet being fed to hogs, as Dr. Norma Bowe of Kean University in New Jersey observed a few weeks ago. Striking up a conversation with some fishermen who were hauling in nets full of mullet from a pier in Long Beach, Mississippi, Dr. Bowe found out that one of the men was also a hog farmer who was catching the mullet to feed to his hogs. The hog farmer, who said he fishes from this pier every day, proudly told Bowe to just ask anybody and they'd tell her that his bacon, pork chops, ham hocks, and ribs are the best around, attributing the high quality of the meat from his hogs to their high protein fish diet. And, according to the fishermen that Bowe spoke to, these fish are also used in a variety of other products for both human and pet consumption -- from Omega-3 fish oil supplements to cat food. Part of this conversation was caught on video by one of Bowe's students.

www.citizensforaconstitutionalrepublic.com...
edit on 3-3-2011 by Cloudsinthesky because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

By no means am I saying media doesn't shoulder some of the blame. I have almost 100 friends on Facebook and when this disaster first hit and months afterwards I would put up a report daily on some of the things that were going on down there, remember the picture of the lady with the sores all over her body? Not one person commented on any of these news articles. I did this daily for months.

People don't care, obviously there is a minority of us that are watching with horror as this unfolds, the majority DO NOT CARE. They chose to turn their eyes away, there is plenty of alternative media out there. Go to Google and type in Gulf Oil Spill, there is so much. People do not want to know.

My daughter did a really good article for her school newsletter (she is 11, its a K-6 school) and the student council watered it down to a BP advert. You should see some of the scholastic newsletters they send home! (If you don't have kids, scholastic is the company that sells books which you order from school, they also send home a mini-mag with current events...I could start a whole thread on those!) Half of her friends don't even know what happened out there, I would expect families to be talking about this, but they aren't.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

LOL! Ya, my old home town is on the edge of a Tarcreek Superfund Cleanup Site, it is heading into Tornado season, and now you guys are on the edge of Earthquake activity in Arkansas! it seems nowhere is safe.

I have given up on Oysters for the time being though. And my house is on well water. We just got word a couple of weeks ago that Tallahassee, FL city water has one of the worst contaminations of Chromium-6 in the entire nation. I think it has something to do with Rocket Fuel? Anyway, I am now only drinking my well water, and distilled bottled water. I'm still going to the beach this summer, and I don't care if it does kill me!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

I don't care if it does kill me!

I am gong to check back in a few months and hold you to your comments......

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Wetpaint72

I know what you mean. It made my heart ache as well. I am afraid that nature has nothing to do with the recent animal deaths. I fear not just the fact that man is responsible for these deaths but that it is just a matter of time before the full extent of our actions will come knocking on our front door.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
www.earth-issues.com...

Near-record numbers of manatees have died in Florida waters in early 2011, the second straight year of above-average deaths, alarming officials who are also puzzled by a surge in dolphin fatalities along the US Gulf Coast.

Of the 163 manatee deaths recorded from January 1 to February 25, 91 of them have been blamed on cold water temperatures off the southern US state, where normally temperate weather draws the protected sea creatures during winter months, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

Manatees live near the coastline, and when weather turns cold they often shelter near springs or in warmer discharge canals at power plants to avoid the condition known as “cold stress,” which can weaken and eventually kill the aquatic mammals.

A record 185 manatees died in Florida during the same period last year, according to the commission.

Authorities at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration are also investigating the huge increase in baby dolphins found washed up dead along the US Gulf Coast, in the first birthing season since the BP oil spill disaster.

Eighty-three bottle-nosed dolphins, more than half of them newborns, were found dead in January and February along the coasts of Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida, where millions of barrels of oil from a leaking undersea well poured into the Gulf of Mexico over three months.

“Direct or indirect effects of the BP/Deepwater Horizon spill event are… among the potential reasons for this increase in NOAA spokeswoman Kim Amendola said Wednesday.

“We have not found an indicator on what could be causing these deaths,” but said several factors could have contributed to the deaths including biotoxins, “red tide” algal blooms, or infectious disease, she said.

“We are following the situation closely,” she added.

The oil from the spill spread through the water column in massive underwater plumes and also worked its way into the bays and shallows where dolphins breed and give birth.

Dolphins breed in the spring — around the time of the April 20 explosion that brought down the BP-leased drilling rig — and carry their young for 11 to 12 months.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
www.floridaoilspilllaw.com...
100's dead animals as far as the eye can see, dispersed oil washing up ashore. Pensacola Florida.

Couple that with millions of dead fish in Cali, there are threads here on ATS...

Just wanted to update you all in case you aren't checking at FloridaOilSpillLaw

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join