It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Must Take Space Storm Threat Seriously, Experts Warn

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Ms. Jane Lubchenco (NOAA) stated serious concern on what is shaping as the true menace the Earth is going to face really soon. It was at the AAAS annual meeting www.aaas.org... held in Washington last week.

WASHINGTON — Space weather could pose serious problems here on Earth in the coming years, the chief of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) said Saturday (Feb. 19).

A severe solar storm has the potential to take down telecommunications and power grids, and the country needs to work on being better prepared, said NOAA administrator. Lubchenco is also the U.S. Under Secretary of Commerce for Oceans and Atmosphere.

"This is not a matter of if, it's simply a matter of when and how big," Lubchenco said of the potential for a dangerous solar flare. "We have every reason to expect we're going to be seeing more space weather in the coming years, and it behooves us to be smart and be prepared."

The space weather threat is becoming more dire as our sun ramps up toward its period of solar maximum, predicted for around 2013. Activity on the sun fluctuates on a roughly 11-year cycle, and our star has been relatively dormant for a while. That's clearly starting to change, though, as evidenced by a class X solar flare – the strongest kind – that erupted from the sun Feb. 14.

However, experts say we got off fairly lucky with this recent solar storm, and that future eruptions could cause worse damage, particularly to the sensitive transformers and capacitors in power grids. If some of these were harmed, there could be power outages for days, weeks, months, or even, in the case of severe damage, years, experts warned.

Now, we have been officially warned. And it's time for us to imagine what a several-year-long powercut/outage could produce on Earth. I think we would literally jump back to a strange stone age, full of dead equipments, blind again.

Thanks www.space.com
Source www.space.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
oh i think they are well prepared...us commoners however will feel the blunt of it all...u can be sure that if that was the case were power outtage hits us then people will attack you for whatever resources u have cause their will be no policing so if u do prepare with wind radios etc. best keep it to yourself cause a situation like that will most definately bring out the wild animals in us all.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I look forward to disruptions. It might be what we need to "refine" our way of life. Sure there will be people killing people, cause people are animals, but I think that there will be many that will band together to try and ride out the storm, together.

When TSHTF, those that band together their supplies and lives, will have evolved. Those that kill, steal and rape, are the animals that they represent, and in a food shortage, will become my supper

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I would say we have been warned quite a while ago, it's not a recent thing.
If people didn't pay enough attention in the past then that's their own fault.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat

Agree. Maybe the distinctive point is we're entering now the "high risk zone" of it.
Thanks everyone for posting

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I still don't see how bad a world without electricity is. I know I'd be fine either way, maybe even better off without it.
Is the 16 and 17th century considered the stone ages now? That was like the pinnacle of humanity before the industrial revolution. I don't mind reaching another pinnacle of consciousness if it means sacrificing this lifestyle. I'll farm and fish and harvest enough rainwater until next year. Maybe even desalinate some ocean water and sell it to my community. Maybe build a boat and start shipping it along the western coast of the US, if it still exists. Build a wagon and transport the water into San Joaquin Valley, Palm Springs, Nevada...

All that it means is that there will be higher levels of radiation, which means we will have to produce more sun screen, and there are natural agents which provide protection from that if we cant still produce it inside glass bottles, so there you have a potential source of income, or at least barter power. A solar storm might help solve our "man made" global warming issues for some time...Idk about naturally made though. Definitely will move back the estimated time frame for our global water shortages since we won't be wasting it while we shower, brush our teeth, over water our gardens, supply our fountains...It seems there are a lot of benefits if we lose electricity, and it might even be the solution to our biggest problems when we look at the bigger picture.

If solar storms really have so much influence as to cause earthquakes and volcanic activity, then yeah, we've got a problem. But its not the first time we've sailed through solar storms, and history shows we've done fine during and after. I think we'll all be ok if we just pluck some berries, eat the flesh, pick up a shovel, and plant the seeds, rather than spit them into our bowls and wash them down our sinks. You'll still have your home, just without any utilities. If you have your base of operations, all you need to do is begin to operate and not expect other things to operate for you.

Then again, that's only if these solar storms are solely due to activity on the Sun, and not something else...

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
You've got me thinking op, considering the amount of everyday objects which rely on electricity we'd be pretty screwed, I for one hope this doesn't happen as almost everything we do in our lives needs electricity I'm thinking : No petrol, so no driving, no phone (land or mobile), no TV, no internet, no radio, no microwave, cooker or fridge, no chance of withdrawing money from banks or buying supplies...basically everything will shut down because of the reliance of electricity, and I still haven't mastered the art of fire lighting or catching and killing animals for food or getting clean water.....man !! I so wish I joined the scouts instead of the Boys Brigade

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by chupa-chups
You've got me thinking op, considering the amount of everyday objects which rely on electricity we'd be pretty screwed, I for one hope this doesn't happen as almost everything we do in our lives needs electricity I'm thinking : No petrol, so no driving, no phone (land or mobile), no TV, no internet, no radio, no microwave, cooker or fridge, no chance of withdrawing money from banks or buying supplies...basically everything will shut down because of the reliance of electricity, and I still haven't mastered the art of fire lighting or catching and killing animals for food or getting clean water.....man !! I so wish I joined the scouts instead of the Boys Brigade

Ha-ha exactly! I guess our civilization would fall down, on a grinding halt, general shut-down.

We as was stated above once knew how to manage such situation, but now everything has been delivered to power-fed machines. Even packed chicken-wings or fish we get at the supermarket are there thanks to those electrical devices. I see it exactly as you expose it.

thanks for posting

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat
I agree fully
I have been mostly ready for a few years now,.
I just ordered my last component for survival,.
An well adapter to pump water by hand from my well

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
How should I protect myself some sun tan lotion, radiation suit, gas mask? If the sun blows up we are all dead anyways.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Cycle 24 has been on the fence as far as intensity goes as it is just a bit too early to know. There are at least 3 methods of prediction and all yield somewhat different results. The past week has just seen its first real surge in solar activity and flares, none of which were anywhere NEAR as geoeffective as flares in the past, even recent past. So, just because a flare is X-class does not necessarily make it a huge disaster to life on earth.

SWPC Current Solar Cycle Progression shows there are a lot of preliminary reports and short term observations/predictions. This is the current most recent link the SWPC has to offer.

This just makes a "good" news story. Sensationalist "what if" situtations. They are putting fear into the publics hearts that our sun is going to unleash holy terror on us like never before, but its really just another solar cycle. We have had 23 full cycles so far. It seems we are still here. If our electricity were to go out due to a flare, we would make it. We would just have to live differently and learn a LOT. It would be indeed interesting to see how many people would be willing to give up their cellphones for ham radios?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Sun Doom is right up there on the doom scale, near the top- It's cheap, easy, and always ready to strike!

Does anyone know how old a car needs to be to survive such an event?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by r129s215
How should I protect myself some sun tan lotion, radiation suit, gas mask? If the sun blows up we are all dead anyways.

nah. I would recommend having a good bit of actual cash money on hand. and perhaps a few beers and a lawn chair to laugh at all the morons flipping out in the streets when thier precious facebook and twitter goes offline.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by chupa-chups

As I see it, there are a number of people who should take this into consideration to be grateful for what we have instead of what we do NOT have. Life does not end because you do not have a phone with a 4.5 inch touchscreen 1ghz processor and thousands of MB in RAM so you can upload and play youtube videos in HD while running bluetooth headphones listening to Pandora and playing Angry Birds on an HSDPA+ so called 4G connection.

I seriously know people that are so dependant on the internet and connectivity that totally take it for granted. Fits are thrown over not having access to the web and such. I love my gadgets and computers too but I DO realise it could be gone in a matter of seconds. Of course I get frustrated when networks slow down because of solar influences and the like, however, its not something I can control. I just find something else to do in the meantime. Books are good, face to face conversation is good, excercise and enjoying nature is good... so much is being missed out on because we have our faces in front of screens and our butts in chairs.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
Does anyone know how old a car needs to be to survive such an event?

From the small amount of dirt under my fingernails tinkering with old cars, I'm guessing if it has a mechanical rotary points/condensor under distributor cap, it would still fire up and run.
Still needs a battery for initial start though.
edit on 22-2-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
What in my opinion makes the issue relevant -as ever- is that this time it has been reported by AAAS and NOAA chief as a "real threat" to be faced in the truly near future...

And... it's not the first time we see something that was formerly spawned on dark conspiracy waters hits the public eye lights.

Since this is my first thread Im giving stars to every post!
Well I think I'll do it from now on while the Internet stands operative !
And it will.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
There's a big blind spot in a lot of people's notions of this, and it stems from fear. There's talk in the article of it taking 10 years to fully recover. There's other people talking about going back to wagons, etc.

How do you get from here to there? Most people out there wouldn't even know how to bake a loaf of bread, never mind find something to make it with and know how to get yeast. 95% of westerners now adays refuse to deal with anything that doesn't come ready to be ripped out of it's plastic and popped in the microwave. For most people, cooking dinner involves punching several sets of holes in a plastic film with a fork.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by AboveTheTrees
I think we would literally jump back to a strange stone age, full of dead equipments, blind again.

Why? Would the "space storm" cause everyone to suffer from amnesia and forget everything?

Would all libraries and books suddenly disappear?

Would all our metal tools disintegrate?

A severe solar storm might cripple our major power grids, but people would still be able to generate electricity... cars would still work, and so would pretty much everything else.

So why would we be flung back into the stone age?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

I assume it's a worst-case scenario. Certainly knowledge would be still there. Magnets and coils too. So, electricity could be brought back once the "solar interferences" were extint.

Severe "damage in capacitators" sounds quite vague to me too, or even not reason enough..., but (playing the worst-case) I imagine if we were hit by a solar storm that could effectively "burn" all our equipments down, it would take some time to restore them all back.

The main reason for posting was in fact the NOAA chief warning - The word "threat" involving solar storms from a so renowned person made me share. I used the "stone-age of dead equipment" as some kind of literary bait..?
May be a bit exagerated

Thanks for posting

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I hope we don't get set back to the stone age. That would suck-arse for me since it has been my lifelong dream to climb into an astronaut suit and go to Mars.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join