It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multiple fatalities reported in N.Z. quake: police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Multiple fatalities reported in N.Z. quake: police

news.yahoo.com

WELLINGTON (AFP) – Multiple fatalities have been reported in New Zealand's Christchurch following a major 6.3 magnitude earthquake, including in two buses that were crushed by falling debris, police said.
"Multiple fatalities have been reported at several locations in the central city, including two buses crushed by falling buildings. A doctor and emergency services are attending," police said in a statement.
"Other reports include multiple building collapses, fires in buildings in the central (city) and persons reported trapped in buildings."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I feel sorry for these guys lot of people have died in Australia we sent out our search and rescue squad to help them find people its a big thing not long ago they had the big mine explosion i send my prays and thoughts to the family's over there as i have worked with some of the kiwis and know some of there family

news.yahoo.com

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

#CHCH Quake Update 4 A magnitude 6.3 earthquake has occurred 10km south-east of Christchurch at 12:51, February 22, 2011. Depth (focal depth): 5km. This has been followed by a number of aftershocks, the largest a magnitude 5.7 which was 6km deep and centred 10km east of Canterbury. There are areas of liquefaction in the central city, as well as telecommunications and power outages and reports of water in the streets. Damage assessment (1620hrs): The Ministry of Civil Defence & Emergency Management (MCDEM) is assessing information with the assistance of scientific advisors and Civil Defence Emergency Management (CDEM) Groups. The National Crisis Management Centre has been activated. To minimise loading on the telecommunications network, people should use txt messaging to check if friends and family are safe There are reports of fatalities and injuries and widespread building collapse (especially in the central city). The earthquake was felt widely across the South Island. Christchurch City declared a state of emergency at 1445 hrs. National agencies have been activated and are being coordinated via the National Crisis Management Centre. There are Fire Service and Police reports of serious injuries and fatalities. The National Crisis Management Centre is anticipating a need for temporary accommodation due to the extensive building damage.

souce

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
The christchurch region was hit by an earthquake a couple of months ago, thankfully it was relatively deep, and in the middle of the night, where most were sleeping - there were no casualties. Watching the news now, there are flattened buildings in the CBD. Reports of 'multiple fatalities'. who knows what that means, when it hits at 12.51pm

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by xmetalgear

Amen. Thoughts and prayers for all our friends in Christchurch.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
hope you the best NZ's!

our thoughts are with you!

god bless

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Also the dollar fell following the earthquake.

The New Zealand dollar was hammered Tuesday after Christchurch, the country's second largest city, was hit by a 6.3 earthquake, that is expected to take the wind out of the economy's recovery and take interest rate hikes off the agenda until well into 2012. Economists said the rebuilding of Christchurch after a 7.1 earthquake in September was expected to give the economy some extra oomph through 2011, but that process has been brought to a standstill.

online.wsj.com...

So now in addition to the earthquake the economy is crushed... again.

www.nzherald.co.nz
Do wathch the following vids, describing them is impossible.

its unbelievable that a 6.3 can cause so much damage.
edit on 2/21/2011 by kaleshchand because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/21/2011 by kaleshchand because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Man the Down unders can't catch a break this year. Sorry Kiwi's you included with the Ozzies live with it. But I hope everybody stays safe over there.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Im trying to get hold of sound lad's i use to bounce with other there nuffin as yet i will find out more when i go back to work

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
there have been 65 confirmed dead so far and many more under rubble yet to be found,

thoughts and prayers go out to all who have lost loved ones or family in this time of crisis.
edit on 21-2-2011 by redgy because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-2-2011 by redgy because: toll changed

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by redgy

We know there's alot more dead but casualties go in to the hundreds so far.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Whats up with all the videos not working. Does anyone have another link?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by marklancedance
Whats up with all the videos not working. Does anyone have another link?

The first 2 are working, (one must be watched on youtube), last one has been removed by user, I will edit after this post. More should be coming up shortly or in a few days.
I would guess shooting and uploading videos wont be on the peoples high priority list right now.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Prayers to my friends down there. I really hope you all are safe. What the hell is going on down there? I'm sending a donation tomorrow.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
The webcams in the city is not working at the moment.The others are o.k. but you can't see visible damage.
Spend a few minutes and visualize yourself project green healing vibration and energy to Christchurch.You can look at the map of the city while you do that. Thank you for you good hearted gesture

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Remember, search is your friend.

Mods have been closing these threads and pointing to this one:

ATS Thread

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by UtahRosebud
Remember, search is your friend.

Mods have been closing these threads and pointing to this one:

ATS Thread

But that is in Fragile Earth, and this in breaking news, from what I know that is allowed.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Golithion

Between the Aussies and the Kiwis, they just can't catch a damned break. Heard about the second quake - thoughts are with you guys in NZ.

new topics

top topics

join