It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leader Of Egyptian Unions To Wisconsin Protesters: ‘We Stand With You As You Stood With Us’

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Poignant. Makes me a bit sad to look around and see other Americans cannot even begin to see the importance here.

One of the most underreported stories about the pro-democracy movement in Egypt was the role of labor unions in the demonstrations, many of which were protesting against neoliberal right-wing economic policies just as much as they were protesting against the Mubarak dictatorship. During the uprising in that country, AFL-CIO president Richard Trumka praised the role of organized labor, saying, “The people’s movement for democracy in Egypt and the role unions are playing for freedom and worker rights inspires us and will not be forgotten.”

thinkprogress.org...

Just another perspective on the issue. And maybe some things to think about.

The poster in the background shows photographs of some of the recent young victims of the Mubarak government. The writing says they are among the martyrs of the 25 January Revolution.

KAMAL ABBAS: I am speaking to you from a place very close to Tahrir Square in Cairo, "Liberation Square", which was the heart of the Revolution in Egypt. This is the place were many of our youth paid with their lives and blood in the struggle for our just rights.

From this place, I want you to know that we stand with you as you stood with us.

I want you to know that no power can challenge the will of the people when they believe in their rights. When they raise their voices loud and clear and struggle against exploitation.

No one believed that our revolution could succeed against the strongest dictatorship in the region. But in 18 days the revolution achieved the victory of the people. When the working class of Egypt joined the revolution on 9 and 10 February, the dictatorship was doomed and the victory of the people became inevitable.

We want you to know that we stand on your side. Stand firm and don't waiver. Don't give up on your rights. Victory always belongs to the people who stand firm and demand their just rights.

We and all the people of the world stand on your side and give you our full support.

As our just struggle for freedom, democracy and justice succeeded, your struggle will succeed. Victory belongs to you when you stand firm and remain steadfast in demanding your just rights.

We support you. we support the struggle of the peoples of Libya, Bahrain and Algeria, who are fighting for their just rights and falling martyrs in the face of the autocratic regimes. The peoples are determined to succeed no matter the sacrifices and they will be victorious.

Today is the day of the American workers. We salute you American workers! You will be victorious. Victory belongs to all the people of the world, who are fighting against exploitation, and for their just rights.

Translation from www.michaelmoore.com...

And if you haven't seen this thread, Egyptians Order Pizza for Wisconsin Protesters, it's a must read.

edit on 2/21/2011 by ~Lucidity because: typo...as usual.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
This is something that is the start of world wide awakening, and should be shared by everyone everywhere, right now I feel that all of this will bring out the best in humanity at a world wide level,,remember family is everything, and in the end we are all family earth united..

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
This truly is a beautiful thing. It's refreshing to see people standing up for what they believe in and actually being recognized and applauded by people all around the world. The whole pizza effort with so many countries and almost all of the states involved almost brought a tear to my eye. If this whole thing comes out as a victory for the unions in Wisconsin, just think of how people will feel about it nationwide. Hopefully this is the beginning to something much bigger in America. Stay strong, Wisconsin. We're with you.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by fessor

I really can't compare the two as being the same...one has to do with balancing a budget that is too far gone and the other wanted to do away with their president......Lets not mash together every rally or strike as being equal...too many people are dying in other countries and the union members in Wisconsin know that tanks aren't going to roll in and start opening fire on them. I would agree if millions of people start rallying against Obama but seeing he is pro union and they all voted for him it will never happen.

Some of you may say that assault vehicles could roll in and start firing but you have read to many conspiracy stuff...worst case scenario tear gas, national guards and then curfews...as I said before if they do not negotiate and start talking to the media what they the union may end up giving up as a compromise there will end up being a ton of layoffs and there is nothing the union can do about layoffs...other than protest nothing...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

Perhaps this man and the Egyptians see it differently and see the bigger picture here? This is far beyond unions and budgets and is no conspiracy. There is a deeper backstory here that some Americans seem unaware of or for some reason are refusing to acknowledge.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

I do think that this stuff is contagious just like the students striking in the UK...one could say it started to take root there and I'm not refusing to see anything, it's very difficult to miss different views as a member of this site. I guess you can make an argument for both sides that this is either for the good of man kind or the decline of man kind...Remember that place called Rome and it's decline...funny thing about governments they really never go away they just reinvent themselves..just look at the democrats and the republicans..

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

There is a deeper backstory here that some Americans seem unaware of or for some reason are refusing to acknowledge.

I'm not being a wise guy but can you fill me in on what that backstory for us Americans...ten years ago things were going well for most of the united states and probably for a large of amount of ATS members and their parents..we didn't worry about things then so much because we were also taking part in the spoils of America and now look at us...we foolishly pick sides as republicans and democrats and assume that one is better than the other...so as with the unions squeezing as much as they can out of the states now it's time to place blame elsewhere?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Well said Lucidity...There is a bigger picture,,and it does not matter if the two events compare or not,,we as a world are standing up for each other, and that is something that you end everyone should be proud of. There is strength in numbers and if any ATS members are national guard and get called to Wisconsin ,,,Call in sick,,don't go
lets not harm our Brothers and Sisters..Mothers and Fathers...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I applaud the Egyptians for throwing off the tyranny and wish them well in building a new country and I hope they can hold on to the Liberty they have earned.

I applaud also the protesters in Wisconsin for their passion and for standing up for what they believe in. They should be able to voice their opinion and have.

I have issue with the elected officials that have fled their duties. They have abandoned their constituents in a time of need. They should return to their post and fulfill their civic duties they have sworn to do.

We are very fortunate to live in a country that has due process. If these people and officials feel so passionate about the proposed law, they should come back and argue against it and then cast their vote against it.

If the measure passes and is signed into law they can take it to the next level and challenge it in the courts.

If they fail to win in the courts, they can then have the people petition the state for an amendment to make the law unconstitutional.

If that fails they can then elect officials that will pass the laws they want during the next election.

This is how our process works.

The main difference between our country and those countries who are rioting, is we have a governmental system designed so the people have peaceful recourse, we don't have to riot and protest.

Thank you.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by EssenceOfSilence

That was smooth...well said

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Link to Egyptian Pollreply to post by chrismarco

You may be interested in this poll and all others especially those that think that we share the same values as the Egyptians on strike...please look at the poll they are not asking for freedom for everyone and certainly not baseball and apple pie...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Ugh, the bill doesn't kill unions as they were orginally. The bill prevents bureaucracy from forming upon government systems. The workers can still form unions, but the unions will now only be able to hold their hand in the process not represent them. The Egyptians are reading too much into the Wisconsin protests. This is simply a protest not a full blown revolution. Don't let things get that riled up just because some people don't want to lose some of their government benefits.

Unions don't need government in order to exist, they tend to come about naturally if things get too bad for workers. If this was about ending unions from representing workers in the private market then I would be pissed like everyone else, but this isn't the private market... its government institutions.

On a semi related note, in the public education system another good step would be to apply a voucher system to the individual students so as to allow for competition both on the school system as a whole as well as internal school courses and resource allocation. Perhaps something like that would help balance schools out a little more. With this schools would have to use the resources on things the students actually need and minimize waste. It may open other oportunities students previously would not have had like perhaps being able to shadow someone in the industry you are interested in working in

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

The backstory is that this isn't about a budget crisis caused by the American people. This is a systematic dismantling that has been going on slowly, over 30 years now and is not going to stop until they've killed every union and "reformed" every remaining pension (both union and non-union, both public sector and private sector) in this nation. The public sector probably holds most of the pensions that haven't been "reformed" yet.

The real reason "reform" is needed is because someone mismanaged, stole, borrowed, or spent the pensions these people worked for and paid into. And now that's on their balance sheets as a big red number and they can't pay, so "reforms" are needed. Wall Street, the bankers, big business, and our corrupt government made and let it happen, but now it's "our" problem. Everything is our problem, isn't it? And then once these pensions are "reformed" Wall Street will rob them again too. The market will "crash" again. That's the pattern, people.

So they're going after the public sector pensions now just as they went after and decimated the private sector ones. When the private sector went, nobody stood by those people or even cared. Because they made this happen slowly, dribbled it our over time...first the employees getting close to retirement got mysteriously fired, other had the "reforms" applied partially, and still others got converted. New people just started out on the new "plans." Many in the private sector either didn't have unions or their unions had been busted, so they were SO, and because this was so carefully planned and executed, everyone just thought, "Oh this can never happen to me." Well guess what. If it hasn't already, it's going to.

Wisconsin is a huge wakeup call, finally. And people in all the remaining unions with pensions better sit up and watch and listen and learn. It's a shame the people in other states this has already happened too (NJ and I believe FL) didn't stand up when they could. For them it might be too late because once it happens you spin down into an abyss of surviving, and you have no time for protests, and no one cares.

And pity there are Americans actually against these brave people, Americans who are still buying the pigs' lies. It's all going right according to plan. And they WILL come for all remaining pensions. Teamsters. AFL-CIO. Police. They're leaving the tough and the strong ones for last. But it will happen. The new pensions, come "pre-reformed." People newer to the workforce or who have been "reformed" are in charge of their own money and pension planning (or at least until Wall Street robs them too a few times or a few times more...then we'll see how that works out for them). Our kids when they take new jobs will be under the new plans. It's us caught in the middle who are and will be the big fat losers.

Yes, funny how no one cares and no one listens until it happens to them, though, isn't it? And funny how people won't stand up for others and half the mislead people in this country get fooled to even standing against them. They'll keep chipping away at all the pensions, all the jobs, and all the unions as they raise prices until the middle class is gone. And then they'll start on SSI, and then guess what? You will be broken.

Sorry this was quick...if anything is unclear, holler at me in a U2U because this is really WAY off topic, but I didn't want to not answer you. And whoever said, divide and conquer? Bingo.

Originally posted by EssenceOfSilence
I have issue with the elected officials that have fled their duties. They have abandoned their constituents in a time of need. They should return to their post and fulfill their civic duties they have sworn to do.

Wisconsin legislators aren't the first to walk out, leave town

(CNN) -- This week's bitter budget showdown in Wisconsin isn't the first time state legislators have fled a state, left a building or refused to show when votes were called.

The "Killer Ds" and the "Texas 11," for example, skedaddled from Texas in 2003 to prevent consideration of a redistricting bill.

In 1839, a young Abraham Lincoln, serving as a Whig in the Illinois House, jumped out of the building in a futile bid to prevent Democrats from getting a quorum to vote on a banks bill.

Members of the 1891 Florida Senate went to Georgia in a bid to prevent a quorum for the election of a U.S. senator.

And in 1994, Republican members of the California Assembly refused to show up for floor sessions in an effort to prevent Democrats from electing Willie Brown as speaker with less than a majority vote.

Nothing all that new here And not much different than a filibuster or people avoiding key votes in Congress. It's politics.

edit on 2/21/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Sorry. Back to the topic now.
edit on 2/21/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
The world is watching Wisconsin.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaanny

Probably as much as the U.S. is. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by EssenceOfSilence
I applaud the Egyptians for throwing off the tyranny and wish them well in building a new country and I hope they can hold on to the Liberty they have earned.

I applaud also the protesters in Wisconsin for their passion and for standing up for what they believe in. They should be able to voice their opinion and have.

We are very fortunate to live in a country that has due process. If these people and officials feel so passionate about the proposed law, they should come back and argue against it and then cast their vote against it.

If the measure passes and is signed into law they can take it to the next level and challenge it in the courts.

If they fail to win in the courts, they can then have the people petition the state for an amendment to make the law unconstitutional.

If that fails they can then elect officials that will pass the laws they want during the next election.

This is how our process works.

The main difference between our country and those countries who are rioting, is we have a governmental system designed so the people have peaceful recourse, we don't have to riot and protest.

Thank you.

ya...but there is one huge problem with the peachy "system"....IT DOESN'T WORK FOR THE PEOPLE!

on paper you are right...in practical real life I beg to differ...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaanny

I love that the world is supporting each other and all but don’t the teachers understand that the reason why the government is cutting back is because the state is running out of money and our country is broke.

To get more benefits and wage increases the funding indirectly comes from china and our other foreign lenders. This comes at a cost to our country and not a good one in my opinion. It will only hasten our path to bankruptcy and the devaluation of our dollar.

In the years ahead you will see massive austerity measures and the people will protest for more and get less. The government will tax more, to borrow more, in an attempt to avoid austerity measures.

They will have to tax small businesses more as well as the individuals that own them. The small businesses will have to raise prices and lay off workers to adjust for this to stay in business. As the economy worsens and the businesses close down unemployment will skyrocket. This will only act as a force multiplier on the economy’s decline. Our current path is unsustainable and by the time a solution is found it may be too late. Prepare now the best you can.

The only game changers I see that can help slow down the collapse is…

1. A new internet type of invention is created
2. Ron Paul gets elected as president and cuts the size of government in half, reversing the debt/war machine and reinstating the dream that was America, a government ruled by the people.
3. If Every American buys American recharging the economy

There is so much more that needs to be done to help our country and the world, I fear it may be to late.

Godspeed…

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Nice!

Power to the people for the people !

The capitalist minded greedy people don't like that way of thinking

edit on 21-2-2011 by St-Patrick because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I guess the point here is that the Egyptian people who sent this message see a connection. Are the two situations different on the surface? Maybe. But they're also similar enough to bring out a spirit of unity and solidarity. To me, not a bad thing.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join