It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another large quake hits Christchurch New Zealand

page: 23
<< 20  21  22   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Another aftershock - 4.2.

Christchurch will never be the same.

And the people who are going through all these quakes will never be the same.

So many people have left - I don't blame them.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

They have aftershocks every couple of hours - www.geonet.org.nz...

apaprently about 70,000 ppl have left the city - that's about 2-% of the pop'n.

and saying the city will never be the same again gets you 10/10 for stating the obvious

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I find it very sad that people have to leave their past
and homes behind. May they find peace of heart
and mind.

Is Christchurch grouping back together at all, I hope so.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
They are now dragging out corpses.

God bless those people, and God bless those brave rescuers.

Bit late for that don't you think?

Personally, I find the mention of 'god' in a thread such as this offensive and not at all in touch with the reality here.
This is my foxhole and I'm an atheist.
The dust is horrid, the streets are covered in silt, or slick with water and mud after the trucks have sprayed water to keep the dust down.
There are portaloos along my street and many undulations and potholes.
I knew some people who have died (one was an old school friend), some who have lost everything apart from the clothes on their backs (it took a good mate almost two hours to crawl out from under the rubble on the /third floor of his building.
We still have to boil our water or go to a water station, but we are resilient and will not substitute the mumbo-jumbo of faith for the harsh reality of living on a geologically-active planet.

My street the day of the quake:

Removing the piles of liquefaction material eight days later:

View down the street today, towards a portaloo:

Dust in the distance from a car travelling along the road:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by anumohi
My girlfriends parents live in Christs Church and when the earthquake hit her father was trapped in the university while it was burning. they did get him out,

Um, the University wasn't burning. I should know, I was there.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

What a mess eh

Have you seen this

BBC News reader Gillian Needham took this image of central Christchurch moments after the quake struck

www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 8-3-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Parts of Christchurch may be abandoned:

www.nzherald.co.nz...

www.nzherald.co.nz...

www.nzherald.co.nz...

*NOTE: I don't blame so many people are leaving CHCH, if there are no jobs, homes & businesses in ruins....whats there to stay for?

It would take 5-10 years to rebuild and even then it won't be on a large scale.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Thats all pretty negative, is this some kind of "post quake depression" setting in.

The suburbs may shift north and south more, but the city will rebuild thats for sure

We have given up on getting our $1.5billion Transmission Gully Highway NW of Wellington, not in my working lifetime anyway, these two quakes in Christchurch will cost the country dearly.

There will be plenty of work there if the rebuild doesn't get bogged down in Red Tape.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

Wow, I read your post and was just left thinking, "Now what do you say to a post like that?"

And the answer is "I certainly understand your convictions, despite the fact that they don't involve a God."

Really sorry for the pain and suffering endured in Christchurch.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Have been doing water runs around the Dallington area for elderly people who can't walk to the water tanks dumped on the sides of roads. The old I'm finding aren't asking for help, more likely just trying to tough it out. Also been emptying there chemical toilets for them (not the best job) but I'm just trying to help where I can.

As to Christchurch rebuilding yes we will do it. Just like Kobe (Japan) did after there quake. A lot of people left Kobe but there was a a lot of new people coming in as well.

If only we could only harness the moaning that some people are doing right now we would be rebuilt already?

I can honestly say what the Power and water guys have done in the last 2 weeks has been an amazing job.

Also a big thank you to all those here and overseas that have shown support to us here in Christchurch.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki

Originally posted by anumohi
My girlfriends parents live in Christs Church and when the earthquake hit her father was trapped in the university while it was burning. they did get him out,

Um, the University wasn't burning. I should know, I was there.

Have to agree pretty sure the CTV building as the only building to catch fire (Maybe some other minor electrical fires). You can see the elevator structure still standing with fire damage.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by greenfruit

Much respect to you!

As a NZer my heart is full of pain witnessing the suffering and the loss and those effected...but my heart is also full of pride witnessing this country (and so many others) uniting to do whatever we all can.

Tena ra koe e te Tuakana.
Acknowledgements to you, my superior.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Noinden

Nope i didn't feel it in the north Island. But then iam further up. lol

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22   >>

join