It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another large quake hits Christchurch New Zealand

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I've just got home from work in Auckland, but we have been following the news since the original reports. There is definitely a more sombre atmosphere around compared to last years quake. With no deaths last year, there was a real sense of defiance among us Kiwis, which is not as prevalent this time round. The official death toll is currently 65 but that is expected to rise, with many still trapped or missing. Although this quake was of smaller magnitude (hence why some are calling it an aftershock), it was far shallower and closer to the Christchurch CBD, causing far more violent tremors and more devestation there.

I am glad that a family member who was in the CBD is fine, although we haven't had word from her personally. As they evacuated the building they were not able to re-enter the premises to retrieve belongings, such as mobile phones. But we have had confirmation that her and her colleagues are on their way to Dunedin to fly back home tomorrow morning, thankfully.

My thoughts go out to all Cantabrians, including our fellow ATS'ers such as AorAki and MoorfNZ. I hope that they, and their loved ones are safe. Stay strong in these difficult times guys.

Kia Kaha!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I just can't change the channel from Sky News. It's just so horrible. We thought the floods in QLD were bad, but at least they got warning. We heard the news over the radio today at work (NSW AUS) and one of my co-workers family live in CRCH, and she, like so many others could not get through to her daughters, to see if they, and the grandkids were alright. All my thoughts are with the Kiwi's tonight.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Terrible that this has now happened again, I really feel for all those affected and i remember the last time very well as i had the pleasure of being able to interview a few members "Grant breed and moderator xpert11" after the 7.1. that hit for the CC show.

My thoughts are with you all and i hope that all our NZ members can let us know they are safe and well,

You just feel so helpless sitting here at the end of a computer, Stay safe guys xx

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by BigfootNZ

Thanks for that, last I heard some 10 mins or so ago there was 150 emergency services personnel in the city - 9 1/2 hours later; I would had expected that to grow to at least 300 within afew hours but they say 250 will arrive in the morning.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by just_julie
I just can't change the channel from Sky News. It's just so horrible. We thought the floods in QLD were bad, but at least they got warning. We heard the news over the radio today at work (NSW AUS) and one of my co-workers family live in CRCH, and she, like so many others could not get through to her daughters, to see if they, and the grandkids were alright. All my thoughts are with the Kiwi's tonight.

I can imagine that that there are many people around who may not be able to contact friends and family. There is a website set up to report or find information on people in the city. For those interested, this is it here: Christchurch Person Finder.

I must urge people to respect this site for what it is and not abuse it, as I have already seen blatant fake "joke" reports posted to the site. I was utterly appalled to see these crude "jokes", if that's what you call them, and I'm generally not easily offended.

On a positive note, I saw that MoorfNZ has posted on the Quake Watch thread, and that she is very shaken up, but still alive and well
. This is certainly a terrible experience for those affected, and words fail to provide any real solace. But know that many peoples thoughts are with you and your friends.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by matthewm
I think the fact that this time there has been deaths is even more reason to turn to God. It's like the first quake was a wake up call for Christchurch,

Exodus 33:19 I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.

I hope these events wake up some sleeping Christians
edit on 22-2-2011 by matthewm because: (no reason given)

Your god makes me sick.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
I found this site listing recent NZ quakes, just how many aftershocks have there been? It looks like dozens if this site is accurate.

www.geonet.org.nz...

My thoughts go out to everyone in NZ and anyone with friends and family there. I knew a girl that moved to ChCh to marry someone she met online about 10 years ago. I haven't heard from her in years but I hope they're alright if they still live there.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Graybeard

tv one reported around an hour ago that there had been 20 aftershocks, but I earlier they had said that aftershocks were occuring every ten mins or so, so I dinno. I will go look at your link now, thanks for that.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Originally posted by 88solarman88
Just thought id tell you that about 24 hours before this happend around 107 whales washed up on a shore in NZ dead, scientists couldnt find a reason for the deaths. Does the whale die off have something to do with the latest earthquake? Hmmm....

no it doesn't - take you stupid conspiracy "connect the dots" drivel somewhere where it belongs......bloody ghouls!

Stuff has some good pics of the Cathedral - www.stuff.co.nz...

I think you need to chill i don't think they ment anything by it...... I think they were referring to animals having a 6th sence about these things just like all the animals headed for the mountains/hills/high ground 2-3 hours before the tsunami in 2004

Watching ACA (TV) now it is Shocking

Thoughts go out to all the people and there family's I think alot of people are lucky with the time it happen (lunch break)
edit on 22-2-2011 by Bossdog82 because: Update

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I was talking to a friend of mine in Ashburton and she has never been so scared, she was saying that her house was rattled but ok, her sister is in new brighton and shes not sure how she is

she also said that the local news was reporting a large chunk fell off one of the glaciers but she was unsure which one.

also i noticed that yesterday (21st Feb) there was 107 whales beeched on Stewart Island
www.dailymail.co.uk...

now i think i remember a mass beaching just before the september quake as well, surely this is no co-incidence and the whales somehow picked up on the seismic activity

EDIT: i was beaten to it

also it cant be a coincidence that a large number of churches/cathedrals were distroyed... coincidence?
edit on 22-2-2011 by Scrambled_Eggs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
The devastation was caused by the depth of the quake, it was only 5 km deep as opposed to the other one at 33km deep.

The whales don't gravitate to the seismic acvitity, they were killed likely trying to escape it. It's unlikely it was volcanics that killed them, but more likely gases from an underwater range.
edit on 22-2-2011 by Tephra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
i found a link for the glacier, it was on Aoraki Mt Cook

www.nzherald.co.nz...

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Tephra

Or they could get the wrong reading off their sonar and hit the beach

Just seen the footage of the mudslide too CRAZY!!!!!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Quake Kills At Least 65

A strong earthquake killed at least 65 people in New Zealands second-biggest city of Christchurch on Tuesday, with more casualties expected as rescuers worked into the night to find scores of people trapped inside collapsed buildings

[spam link removed]

edit on 2/22/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone

Hm, confirms what I have always said about Jesus Christ and churches.

Do us a favour and leave it out, please!
Preaching anti-Godness may be appropriate in some places, this is not one of them.
Vicky

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by usanews
Quake Kills At Least 65

A strong earthquake killed at least 65 people in New Zealands second-biggest city of Christchurch on Tuesday, with more casualties expected as rescuers worked into the night to find scores of people trapped inside collapsed buildings

from source new zealand news

Yeah I think I read it in this thread, thanks for letting us know..

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by paine

really hope to see more life pulled from the rubble!

120 people rescued was the figure I had heard at about 22.30...
Vicky

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Excuse me ?
Do a quick google search on how Whales use the magnetic field DAILY to survive.
Then do a google search on how geomagnetic fields change around earthquake areas.
Very very logical, Whales have been becoming beached from geomagnetic disturbances for YEARS.

www.oceania.org.au...
www.pbs.org...

"Increased solar activity causing disturbances in the Earth's magnetic
field may cause whales to run aground in the North Sea, say researchers. "

"We believe that our research showing that more whales are beached
during times when the Sun disrupts the Earth's magnetic field makes
it a strong possibility that they do."

edit on 22-2-2011 by Draken because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Just found this on rsoe

The earthquake that struck Christchurch has caused some 30 million tons of ice to break off from New Zealand's biggest glacier. Tour guides at the Tasman Glacier in the Southern Alps say the quake caused the ice to "calve" from the glacier, forming icebergs in the terminal lake. Tourists of Glacier Explorer boats say the icefall caused waves of up to 3.5 meters in height which swept up and down the lake for 30 minutes. The glacier is about 120 miles (200 kilometers) from Christchurch on the west coast. The powerful earthquake struck Christchurch on Tuesday, toppling tall buildings and churches, crushing buses and killing at least 65 people.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Wow what a wild day in NZ, im thinkin its gona be worse tomorrow when they get more into the buildings that are down.

in relation to the quake check this out

Quake rumbles 30 million tonnes of ice off glacier

www.3news.co.nz...

cheers bigkevNZ

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join