It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another large quake hits Christchurch New Zealand

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
First of all....I send love, prayers and good thoughts to all those in ChCh and their families and friends.

If you have time, please read this article written by a journalist who had been trapped for a while in her workplace. She couldnt sleep last night and wrote this piece. It is poignant, sad, courageous and heartwrenching.

Earthquake Experience

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
One thing I noticed was one building was ok but the stairwells collapsed and another the building collapsed and the stairwells were ok. This dosn't give you much security in deciding what to do if your in another quake does it!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Not sure if this has been posted:

A mother died with her baby in her arms in Christchurch's Cashel St Mall in yesterday's earthquake. Passersby went to her assistance, but she was already dead.

The helpers took the child away. It was not known how badly it was hurt when the pair were hit by falling debris.

Source

Very sad

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I'm starting to wonder about the whales thing, there is quite a number of quakes round the world where sea creatures have beached themselves just before a big one, I wonder what part the magnetic field plays in their navigation just prior to the quake itself as there is supposed to be a small change. If there is any scientific studies to be had they should, it could help as an early warning system, granted a horrid one.

After looking at the pics its such a shame so many nice buildings have been destroyed, and I send my thoughts and prayers to the families who have lost loved ones, I hope my fellow ATS'ers don't have any bad news over the coming days.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

I thought this was fact, I have even seen a member on ATS in the past that predicted a stranding and it's location a couple of days before it happened - I will go for a search and see if I can find the original threads.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Yahweh's message there, was that they are not teaching the TRUTH about Him or Christ. In other past earthquakes elsewhere, idols have been knocked over, and people buried alive for practicing Voodoo and other false religious rites. Yahweh is speaking through Her Powerful Right Arm via His natural arsenal.

All any nation needs to do is accept Christ's Ruler-ship and be shielded from any further bowls of punishment and not be subjected to the coming wrath.

It is because hearts are not directed to Yahweh that He must destroy those resisting, but that is not what He desires. He wants all to gain Salvation. It is possible to alter this world of peoples date with extermination if each person wakes up to what is just ahead if they do not. As Yahweh once spared a city in ancient times from His wrath because they relented and turned their hearts to His, it can happen on a worldwide scale in these end times.

If the people worldwide turn to Christ in TRUTH, you can alter the punishment phase to be meted out - only to the remaining few human resisters and Satan's spiritual allies.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by byteshertz

this just brings tears to my eyes this is a terrible tragedy i hope the baby is ok :'(

second

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

I think a member said (or pointed to someone who had said) there was going to be a quake right after a beaching and they were right, but I'm not sure if the scientific community is taking it seriously yet, I could be wrong.

I'll have google around and see how many beachings there has been recorded before big(ish) quakes.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReginaAdonnaAaron
Yahweh's message there, was that they are not teaching the TRUTH about Him or Christ. In other past earthquakes elsewhere, idols have been knocked over, and people buried alive for practicing Voodoo and other false religious rites. Yahweh is speaking through Her Powerful Right Arm via His natural arsenal.

All any nation needs to do is accept Christ's Ruler-ship and be shielded from any further bowls of punishment and not be subjected to the coming wrath.

It is because hearts are not directed to Yahweh that He must destroy those resisting, but that is not what He desires. He wants all to gain Salvation. It is possible to alter this world of peoples date with extermination if each person wakes up to what is just ahead if they do not. As Yahweh once spared a city in ancient times from His wrath because they relented and turned their hearts to His, it can happen on a worldwide scale in these end times.

If the people worldwide turn to Christ in TRUTH, you can alter the punishment phase to be meted out - only to the remaining few human resisters and Satan's spiritual allies.

Dude i cannot believe you are saying this crap at a time like this for these poor families and human beings, your Yahweh sounds more like a psychotic dictator more than anything, "All any nation needs to do is accept Christ's Ruler-ship and be shielded from any further bowls of punishment " Please!! we have had enough of the suppression and control.. wake up man...
edit on 22/2/11 by free_spirit_earth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReginaAdonnaAaron

Really? If everyone believes in your particular imaginary friend he'll stop plate tectonics and the tidal pull of the moon on the earth's core?

Impressive!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk

I think a member said (or pointed to someone who had said) there was going to be a quake right after a beaching and they were right, but I'm not sure if the scientific community is taking it seriously yet, I could be wrong.

I'll have google around and see how many beachings there has been recorded before big(ish) quakes.

See if you can - because NZ has 15,000 earthquakes a year, "several" of which are 6 MM...pretty much year in and year out.

We also have whale strandings - dozens of them every year.....it is no great surprise that anything that causes sound underwater would affect animals that use sonar - eg see www.projectjonah.org.nz...

So unless someone comes up with something VERY specific any "prediction" of an earthquake after a stranding is about as clever as predicting rain in winter!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
My friends are all okay, thank goodness. There is major house damage, to be expected, but they are all fine. I just wish there was something I could do to help besides sending positive thoughts their way.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
According to the ticker on TV3's coverage at the moment, its currently 55 identified bodies, 20 unidentified and 300 missing.

edit on 22-2-2011 by BigfootNZ because: was 20 unidentified not 22

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Prime Minister John Key is talking live right now.

New Zealand is now in a state of National Emergency.

the Prime Minister is touched by the sheer number of help offers from other countries

Death toll is now 75 but is expected to rise sharply

15 people still alive inside the burning CTV building

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
First I want to express my feelings to the New Zealand people. It hit you hard over there! my thoughts are with you , When I saw It on the news I thought It maybe a matter of time before this kind of catastrophe will hit us all!

Some thing's up I can feel it but I can't pinpoint when and who is going to be next!

I hope the casualties stay low peace!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Noinden

I just saw videos of the devatation, including videos which were taken by people as the earthquake occurred. It was pretty bad for only being a 6.3... I feel for the victims, and their families. Let's hope there are no aftershocks.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

There have been consistent aftershocks since yesterdays quake, but in the last 3hrs its been quiet. Im certain the shocks will continue for months after this quake as they have been since last Sep quake.

80% of the city is still without water and few shops are open.

Some suburbs are badly hit, although most emergency efforts are focussed on the CBd as thats where the trapped people are.

The rebuilding and moving on from this will take years and a monstrous amount of $$$.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Oh there will be hundreds of aftershocks - the fault lines that geneated these were unknown before September 4 last year, and this one is probably an "aftershock" of the one that occured then.

IIRC it has been suggested they weer last active 16,000 years ago.

There's going to be a lot of settling down to be done, and a lot of aftershocks.

Why did they become active again now? I have no idea of course - if I was to guess at any man-made activity that might have contributed my first thought is the drawing of water from the artesian sources under the Canterbury Plains for city and agriculture literally changing the weight sitting on top of the faults.

But lacking any actual evidence or technical knowledge that is a pure guess.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Gotta remember that the South Island is effectively split down the middle by the Australian and Pacific plates. The Southern Alps that runs the length of the South Island is where the two plates are grinding past each other, its basically one giant fault line really.

There must be hundreds of unknown smaller fault lines branching off from it and its only a matter of time before one or two of em take a jolt... unfortunately it was the ones under Christchurch that seem to have done so recently.

Southern Alps

Its funny in a way, the South Islands got the earthquakes, the North Island has the volcanoes... pick your poison, heck I live within 15 minutes drive from an old volcano, and used to live in Auckland which is basically littered with dormant volcanoes, and old scars of ones long since dead... thats Earth i guess

Id say the capacity for man to effect things like Earthquakes is very very small, might not be, but id just say it happens because it just does. Kinda why I get miffed when people like John Key say things like '"Ruthless" Earthquake'... it aint ruthless at all, theres no emotion behind it, its an amoral, pure force of nature that can happen anywhere and at anytime simply because it was ready to go.

edit on 22-2-2011 by BigfootNZ because: hmmm

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by 88solarman88
Just thought id tell you that about 24 hours before this happend around 107 whales washed up on a shore in NZ dead, scientists couldnt find a reason for the deaths. Does the whale die off have something to do with the latest earthquake? Hmmm....

Well they should have been warned, you know a vent opened up in the sea floor and killed them with leathal gas fumes. What a shame. God be with these Kiwis.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join