It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another large quake hits Christchurch New Zealand

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Another large quake hits Christchurch New Zealand

tvnz.co.nz

1.10pm: According to Christchurch police, the Cathedral has taken a big hit. There are no further details yet.

1.08pm: 'Swiggs' has posted to Twitter saying "biggest quake yet ever. Christchurch will be shut down now."

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.geonet.org.nz

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
According to various news sources a 6.3 quake hit at around 12:51 pm today. It was felt all over the south and north Islands of New Zealand.

Until the quake last year, Christchurch was one of the only cities in NZ which did not suffer earthquakes.

I felt this quake in the University Library in Dunedin New Zealand which is 360 km away. Apparently despite being "only 6.3" it was a long quake and has damaged the already devastated CBD. Power and phones are out (or overloaded).

Twitter once again is getting good updates

tvnz.co.nz
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Wow this is crazy! im in auckland but didnt feel anything (obviously)

I dont watch the TV or listen to radio so thanks for the update!

Poor CHCH

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by grindhouzer
Wow this is crazy! im in auckland but didnt feel anything (obviously)

I dont watch the TV or listen to radio so thanks for the update!

Poor CHCH

I felt it, and had an inkling it was CHCH again. I've got an Uncle and two cousins up there, and a LOT of friends. On a more selfish note, what sort of omen and auspice is this for an exam I have in about an hour (joke)?

For a city which was supposed not to be near any major faults.... it's making up for lost time. I hear the Cathedral and other stone buildings lost a lot of stone in this one :/ Christchurch was a beautiful city, and I visited it 3 weeks after that 7.1 in September, and it looked like a war zone, gods knows what it looks like this time?

I just hope this was the media over reacting?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Certainly felt it on the 15th floor in Wellington - the Cathedral spire is down - there's some photos on hte TV3 website - www.3news.co.nz...

& the Geonet interactive give a good view (for the next 50 minutes or so until they disappear from the 1 hr time frame) - www.geonet.org.nz...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Just spoke to dad who's down there at the moment with rest of family, he was playing a game of tennis and said he was just about to kick my brothers ass, when all of a sudden he couldn't hit the ball hahaha!

Said newstalk zb (big talkback radio) is offline, evacuated from central city. Also said grand chancellor hotel is evacuated which is on cashell st. And added that from what he's heard the whole cbd is evacuated.. My mum was in cbd at the time she said she's fine, so damage may not be as bad as initially reported. Apparently a shelf nearly fell on my sister and her newborn.

When I was down there recently I saw many manhole covers that were raised nearly half a meter out of the road through subsidence and many bridges out of alignment.

Havn't felt anything in Auckland, did a few weeks back though.

edit: just heard something like a large 4 engined freight train that approached and departed swiftly and shook a similar amount. train tracks are too far away to be that loud (used to live close enough to have similar effect). Perhaps an aftershock?? I don't know. Activity on geonet matches up with chch measurements though at 0 minutes currently, but nothing showing in Auckland.

edit2: quake i felt in akl confirmed by TOZ station.. wow!
edit on 21/2/11 by GhostR1der because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Ouch, a city of stone and bricks really is screwed when the earth shakes :/ I really hope that this is not the straw that breaks the camels (economies) back!!!
edit on 21-2-2011 by Noinden because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Tried to ring my parents there - dialed OK, but went straight to a nasty high-pitched tone. No txt response eitehr - they are in Bexley which suffered considerably with hte1st one, although they aer in "old" Bexley & their house only had minor damage....a bit worried now....not too much....but their tile roof weighs several tonnes....

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Just thought id tell you that about 24 hours before this happend around 107 whales washed up on a shore in NZ dead, scientists couldnt find a reason for the deaths. Does the whale die off have something to do with the latest earthquake? Hmmm....

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Originally posted by 88solarman88
Just thought id tell you that about 24 hours before this happend around 107 whales washed up on a shore in NZ dead, scientists couldnt find a reason for the deaths. Does the whale die off have something to do with the latest earthquake? Hmmm....

no it doesn't - take you stupid conspiracy "connect the dots" drivel somewhere where it belongs......bloody ghouls!

Stuff has some good pics of the Cathedral - www.stuff.co.nz...

I just ignore those ghouls. As for the pictures... they are BAD pictures, and hells I am a pagan, but that was a nice building... was.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I have quite a few buddies down there. It was bad enough after the first quake, I really hope everyone is okay. There does seem to be more and more going on by way of natural disasters down there recently, correct me if I'm wrong.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Apparently my parents are OK - shaken - and my sister's "technical" description of the roof of their house is "munted", mum says it is "crashed" - bugger - in lieu of anynoe being killed or injured i'll miss knowing the palce i was bought up is seiously damaged

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
www.google.com...

My thoughts are with all of our friends in Christchurch NZ, peace all.
edit on 21-2-2011 by alien because: ...just keeping the drama-bait down to a minimum...cheers...

link   
I live in Auckland and we are getting reports of fatalities in Christchurch. So sad. Major damage down there this time around. Far worse than last time.

They say its an aftershock. But these so called aftershocks have been going on for months and months. Sounds like its a whole new Earthquake to me!

link   
radio live New Zealand

www.radionz.co.nz...

click on ear phones upper left

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by serenecalamityz

- www.teara.govt.nz...

edit on 21-2-2011 by alien because: ...personal attack removed...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Light soul

Its not as big as the last one from all accounts, but alot more shallower... hence its destructive capabilities. Dont think Christchurch and the surrounding area will be recovering anytime soon from this one. Hope they get as few casualties as possible, wont hold my breath this time however...

And on a fine sunny midday like today, not a good mix

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Here's the Twitter link:

twitter.com...?q=earthquake%20OR%20christchurch%20OR%20NZ%20OR%20New%20Zealand

Updates:

www.heraldsun.com.au...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join