It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can ATS make sure that 1 user don't have more then one account

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

not only that you also have people that use 3G/4G internet connections and they share IP addy's with 100's if not 1000's of users

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by knowneedtoknow

I think they need to come up with a way to make this happen. It's blatantly obvious that alot of people are doing this. ATS boasts having:

Total Members: 218,444

I think that's a pile of manure. I think it might have about 11'000 members. I don't know. The point is that it's irritating as all hell to know that there are people cheating the 'system' when I have only one account. They go onto threads and posts they created under their other account(s) and star and flag the hell out of it. Then they repeat the process over and over....

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I noticed a poster was banned last December for trying to liven up his thread (on religion,) by logging on in another account and arguing with himself. When called out by other posters who guessed both accounts were his, he admitted to it. That was the last post that account made before being banned.

Of course forum management like having a busy board with lots of posters, so they're not going to ban people if they can help it.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
People in the same household who share an Internet connection will have the same external IP and there's no rule against having multiple accounts in the same household or even sharing the same computer for ATS and logging in as different users. Whether or not ATS uses those methods to monitor, such usage is for them to reveal, but I doubt that alone would get you banned as they know there are some husband and wife partners here who prefer to post under their own user names rather than the same one as their spouse.

What reveals those who talk to themselves is their inability to change their writing style, positions on issues and general personality. Even those who are banned and come back to create new accounts will get banned again once recognized. The only way around it is to behave or lurk which lessons the need to manage their behavior..
edit on 22-2-2011 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by knowneedtoknow

stars and flags..cant eat then...cant sell them on ebay or the antique show...cant plant them...cant put them in the gas tank....let me see if I get 5k of them do I get to be a bigshot Mod...proly not....If I write something interesting with a catchy headline will people enjoy it...maybe!!!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Sadly you can't, I play medal of honor airborne in a clan and one guy who calls himself Hoodwink causes grief, his IP gets banned and he is back within ten minutes, it's called DHCP, and its a pain. It's only big companys and educational establishments these days that have static IP, your average home user just has to unplug his router / modem and he/she has a new IP (unless specifically asked for, and payed for static)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

People in the same household who share an Internet connection will have the same external IP and there's no rule against having multiple accounts in the same household or even sharing the same computer for ATS and logging in as different users.

What is more.....from what I understand, based on seeing an ATS member who posted this very same thing.....she mentioned that she and husband share the one computer, and IP address, each with own username.

BUT.....they cannot star, nor flag, the other's posts or threads. The ATS system seems to recognize the IP (or the computer itself??) to allow only once per incident.

Therefore, seems to me, OP (and others who make this claim) are incorrect in their suspicions. Unless a person were so intent as to have more than one computer, and possibly ALSO a "spoof" IP, etc.

How many, do you really think, would go to that sort of effort, just to add "stars" and "flags"???

I say when you see a post with what appear (to you) an inordinate amount of "stars"....think about it as a bunch of lurkers (who are members signed on) who just troll through, and "star" people that they have happened to agree with, in other forums and threads....they may not have actually read that post, for its merit.

Finally, you specifically mentioned your suspicions re: the 9/11 Forum....and I have witnessed threads started that point out serious flaws in the "conspiracy" theories....and, lo and behold, the "conspiracy pushers" jump in, and get loads of stars, and supporters of the OP?? Hardly any.

SO, you might re-evaluate your impressions......

top topics

<< 1   >>

join