It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can ATS make sure that 1 user don't have more then one account

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

It's easy to apply some rules here but in the forum 9/11 conspiracy theories.
i see people that flag and give stars to there account by login to an other account how do you control that
if there is no rule for that me to i gonna make my self another account to flag and support my Thread THX

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
you cant, and it is a big problem on some websites, where people basicly downvote things into oblivion like on reddit.

even if you ban an ip, you can be back in five minutes with 20 new accounts.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
by checking your IP address once in a while would be my guess and if you actively use both or all of them at the same time ...

not a good idea to have more then one account

besides why would anyone need more then one account anyway .

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

some unscrupulous ats members create them to validate themselve on here, or to attack people multiple times. also flagging themselves to get to the front page

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
The problem with checking IP's is that sometimes many users are behind 1 IP - like at a corporation, or a school, or a public library. It's impossible to tell if that IP is being used by 1 or a 100 people.

You could do research - but it's not really worth the effort - and if you ban a college's or a public library's IP address (or a block of them) then you are potentially shutting out a lot of innocent people.
edit on 21-2-2011 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by knowneedtoknow

It's easy to apply some rules here but in the forum 9/11 conspiracy theories.
i see people that flag and give stars to there account by login to an other account how do you control that
if there is no rule for that me to i gonna make my self another account to flag and support my Thread THX

A properly written query on the database will output any ip that shares email addys or usernames. Just sayin it's simple phpmyadmin type database management. got skillz?

edit on 21-2-2011 by Emptiness Dancing because: *

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

To make me look like a fool in the 9/11 forum. ok let say i have evidence of 9/11 was an inside job and start a thread and then someone come in the thread in whitin second and gets like 20 stars that can only happen if you have like multiple accounts ok. people will be more attracted to what he tells even is its the same thing that FOX news said but in text, just because he has 20 stars because he has like 20 accounts on ATS to apply stars to his post

edit on 21-2-2011 by knowneedtoknow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

........... ok. people will be more attracted to what he tells even is its the same thing that FOX news said but in text, just because he has 20 stars because he has like 20 accounts .......]

This only applies if you think people perceive added credibility to the number of stars rather than what has been said.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

To make me look like a fool in the 9/11 forum. ok let say i have evidence of 9/11 was an inside job and start a thread and then someone come in the thread in whitin second and gets like 20 stars that can only happen if you have like multiple accounts ok. people will be more attracted to what he tells even is its the same thing that FOX news said but in text, just because he has 20 stars because he has like 20 accounts on ATS to apply stars to his post

edit on 21-2-2011 by knowneedtoknow because: (no reason given)

I'd like to think ATS members read the post, not merely look at the stars..
I see many silly posts (IMO) with multiple stars..
It doesn't affect my view on the thread..

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I have long felt that there are consortium's and perhaps even, mods and/or site owners, that have more than one account.
Now that's what I call a conspiracy.

edit on 21-2-2011 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
"How can ATS make sure that 1 user don't have more then one account?"

It's impossible to prevent if the member is smart enough.

Unfortunately, unique posting styles often gives them away. They post in the same areas and challenge the same members with the same arguments as their other user-names.

A few members and mods are good at spotting them.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
TBH i pay no attention to stars when choosing what to read

for example im here reading this post

edit on 21-2-2011 by tokzik because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
In regards to IP's, its also very easy to hide ones IP or appear to use one from a different country altogether, by using programs like Tor, in conjunction with Mozilla. Tor allows its users to roam freely on the net undetected. Through Tor, you are invisible. Best part is, is that is doesnt even tie to your REAL IP !

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
ATS Terms And Conditions Of Use:
16c.) Multiple Accounts: You will not create multiple user accounts and "talk to yourself."

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I remember a while back there was a heated debate going on in one of the forums. These two individuals were basically on the same side with similar opinions and what not. As the conversation continued, one of these posters replied to himself as if he was the other individual. That was a riot because everyone started asking him if he was schizophrenic or something.
edit on 21-2-2011 by jackflap because: Grammer

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
The problem with checking IP's is that sometimes many users are behind 1 IP - like at a corporation, or a school, or a public library. It's impossible to tell if that IP is being used by 1 or a 100 people.

Agreed.

Now against someone who knows what they're doing, we can't really stop them from using separate accounts. But I think it would make sense to make it difficult for as many people as possible. One way that could be used to identify users is Flash cookies. Most users don't even know they exist or how to clean them.

If two accounts have the same flash cookie, measures can be taken against them. Some sites will make it so their posts and everything still show up on their end, so they don't know they are compromised.. but hide them from everybody else.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
If I were in charge I wouldn't worry about multiple accounts too much as anyone so sad to need to pump themselves with a different account will eventually be banned for T&C violations or it would just be harmless.

For example if someone was inclined to create another account just to post a specific point of view they didn't want attached to their main account, or as a sort of intellectual exercise it would be harmless.

If someone is rampaging about with multiple user IDs it wouldn't be long until they were caught and banned with a little investigation and critical thinking.

Also just to point out the amount of time it would take to give one account 20 stars with 20 accounts is really quite sad. If anyone wants it bad enough I say give it to the poor soul.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by knowneedtoknow

NO ! the real problem are those as holes that get banned from here...
go to that 'bs' site >'unreal...something.
After they go on that site ,they feel they can get another account on here,under some other name,and think the f they go use my pm,to talk smack to me,let alone send there ' exotic, master trolling ,flame baiter posters' to execute there tactics at tearing this site apart.

So my question is, how can ats stop banned members or members from that other 'bs' site to leave us alone.

'keep your friends close and your enemies closer' REALLY !

I swear theres about 10 of them over here just flagging the hell out of posters and bringing nothing worth listening to in topics.

but as some one wrote to me when asked .

'You better becareful because some of the mods keep in contact with them over there,so the odds are way against you'

I personelly dont want to believe that,but the history of this situation is far beneath my ears of knowing.
i just want to be left alone,if it has gotton out of hand like that.
moles ,spys ,infiltration ,OH MY !

edit on 21-2-2011 by Immortalgemini527 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Immortalgemini527

If you are being harassed I'm sure the team here will investigate and stop it from happening.

I don't know what this 'unreal' site is but it's best not to start flame wars with another board.

Ignore those who'd try and mess with your mojo and report them to the appropriate channels.

-m0r

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Yeah, you can't really ban people on the internet or stop them from abusing information systems. Big shocker, let's all get over it shall we?

But if anybody really messes with you, just call the FBI on em. Send some cops and firemen right to their door, that'll scare some sense into em!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join