It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Beer ready for Taste Testing: (someone's always thinking!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

It's probably no surprise that today's astronauts are discouraged from drinking on the job. Space tourists, however, may have different expectations. According to ABC Melbourne, the brewery has made its first batch of suds designed to be drunk on commercial space flights.

One of the enduring problems with eating or drinking in space is related to what's called space adaptation syndrome. In orbit, the fluids in your body are no longer being pushed by gravity into your lower half. But your body is still trying to pump things around as if you were standing on Earth. This leads to excess fluids in the upper body and head, which in turn causes nausea, vomiting, and swelling.

Aside from the nausea, eating becomes less enjoyable, because the swelling also applies to your taste buds, and this dampens down flavor in a very noticeable way. "Astronauts have been known for years to throw handfuls of salt and bottles on Tabasco sauce on their meals," 4 Pines brewer Jaron Mitchell told ABC Melbourne.

Source: blogs.nationalgeographic.com...

Well, I guess if you are going to drink, may as well get some positive effects out of it-(other than the normal desired effect)

This is going to be very interesting, when and if it gets going. I am sure there will be no shortage of people wanting to try it-a lot of it-especially if they are going up for the first time!!

So, in Japan you can get some. Any of our ATSer from Japan, or a frequent vistor, want to get some (invest in some-more like it) and let us know what you think?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Ah...nothing like a nice gimmick.

So they brewed a stout. Nothing big about that. It's undercarbonated, which again, isn't a deal. To call this beer "space ready" is lame.

While I appreciate their tactic, maybe they should try making world class beer and not "space class" beer to gain notoriety.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I wonder if space beer is delivered down the drinkers throat with force, to overcome the upper chest liquids problem. shot-gun that sucker right down your throat.

it may be that astronaut drinks are not carbonated so they flow more easily. if so, space beer would be flat even when fresh.

of course, the health-conscious astronauts will demand Lite beer

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
why bother with beer when you can drink Tequila

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fb13432aef94.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Yep they thought this trip threw with the wife in a small space....were gonna need beer
edit on 21-2-2011 by RANDOMguess because: too busy playing xbox

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by RANDOMguess

LOL that's what I was thinking.

If you got the wife along.....

Star for making me laugh.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Yeah, because going into space isn't a great enough experience as it is, you have to be under the influence of alcohol to fully enjoy it.
If I had a chance to go into space, I want to be as clear headed as possible so I can take in how awesome that experience is and cherish every second of it!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Nice, get some Levitation up there from Stone, after all everyone will be floating around anyway.

Nice post!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Not as soothing as a Martian Martini but.................

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/79c6b6d2f312.jpg[/atsimg]

Interesting story anon72.

top topics

join