It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pilots, boaters adjust to shift in magnetic north

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I just ran across this and searched and didn't see it posted.

Magnetic north, the point at the top of the Earth that determines compass headings, is shifting its position at a rate of about 40 miles per year. In geologic terms, it's racing from the Arctic Ocean near Canada toward Russia. As a result, everyone who uses a compass, even as a backup to modern GPS navigation systems, needs to be aware of the shift, make adjustments or obtain updated charts to ensure they get where they intend to go, authorities say. That includes pilots, boaters and even hikers. "You could end up a few miles off or a couple hundred miles off, depending how far you're going," said Matthew Brock, a technician with Lauderdale Speedometer and Compass, a Fort Lauderdale company that repairs compasses. Although the magnetic shift has little impact on the average person and presents no danger to the Earth overall, it is costing the aviation and marine industries millions of dollars to upgrade navigational systems and charts.

Source

--Off Topic, One Liners and General Back Scratching Posts--
edit on Mon Feb 21 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: ex tags AND Mod Note: Starting A New Thread ?... Look Here First.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Good info, thanks. I had participated in a group of contact back in the 90's. We were prevented in those days about it, I remember wasn't easy to share that information, now I am amazed how much people confirms it.

About navigation, we've been told there will be a time where no airplane will be able to fly.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
If you ever want to know how much the pole has moved, try this site:

NOAA's GEOMAGNETISM

Just enter Zip code, Elevation Feet. Meters, etc..., and then the years you want to look with step value.

For my location the change is 8°+ since the 1900's

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I seen this with my compass this weekend during a little sailing trip to a remote island. I passed it up a few times and had to use a GPS to find it.

top topics

join