It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ability to delete own threads.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
There should be an ability to delete ones own created threads, or at least remove the 15 minute window to be able to edit it to being to able to edit it at any time.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Nah, IMO you should remember that the post you write will be part of your permanent record here on ATS and, that means you should really be sure if what you write is what you want other people to read.

If it was up to me they should remove the 15 min edit limit too, except it is really good for grammar correction

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SkurkNilsen

if you were a whislteblower in a dangerrous community, then were ousted on here then it wold be usefull to be able to do a quick delete of everything, it could save your life...
edit on 21-2-2011 by MR BOB because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TinFoilHatMan55

IMHO - 99.99% of people who want to delete thier threads found they didnt get the reaction they wanted

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I have to agree, I think the ability to delete ones own thread should be available. especially if the thread sucked and didn't get any response, who wants to see that on their profile everyday?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I agree thread deletion should be available. So what if someone didn't like the reaction or got little or no response, it would save a hell of a lot of bandwidth by allowing folks to delete thier own threads. I also think an OP should have at least longer then responders to edit his OP if not always,

edit on 21-2-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
i am for it, when there is more than one of the same thread related info in fact i see this at least daily but as far as poor lack of response or some other reason posted like before thinking well that is life, we can not undo our thoughts.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB

if you were a whislteblower in a dangerrous community, then were ousted on here then it wold be usefull to be able to do a quick delete of everything, it could save your life...

If that was the case I'm sure the mods would be able to help if the problem arises.
However it has never happened, and IMO propably never will as ATS is more of an entertainment/discussion site than a whistleblower site.

I have to agree with ignorant_ape on this one.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkurkNilsen

Originally posted by MR BOB

If that was the case I'm sure the mods would be able to help if the problem arises.
However it has never happened, and IMO propably never will as ATS is more of an entertainment/discussion site than a whistleblower site.

I have to agree with ignorant_ape on this one.

If it's just entertainment seriuosly who cares of the thread gets deleted? If a thread doesn't get a response or very little it means the ATS community wasn't interested so why would anyone care if it gets deleted? If you did not post on it cause of no interest why would you care of the OP deleted it? it makes no sense.

Also Ignorant Ape is dead wrong. I have posted several threads the got little or no response. That doesn't make them bad threads, or change my mind on the topic being important or worthy of posting, it just means ATS was not that interested. So why not allow me to delete them since they are just taking up bandwidth unnecessarily?

I have also had trolls muddy up threads so bad I would just as soon delete them also. At the very least you should be able to delete threads of little interest if they have under a certain number of posts for the bandwidth alone.
edit on 22-2-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

As it stands now ATS deals with near daily accusations of censoring information because a few threads 404. Every time Bernard Shnitzel gets bored and wants to spam his plejaren ministry - half a dozen threads pop-up saying that ATS is disinfo/cointelpro/CIA etc. And all we are trying to do is stop spam from a known and high profile Internet troll who is prolific enough to have his own ED page.

And that is with the staff only deleting the threads that heinously break T&C or are duplicate threads. And, even then, we often decide to leave up threads that should be deleted just so the community can get an idea of why we get rid of certain types of threads.

Imagine the confusion and accusations if members could 404 threads? Imagine the abuse that would occur. Let's say you make the best post you have ever made and you are unbelievably proud of it. Only the OP gets jealous that your post is better than his OP... Would you want your work to be censored by a jealous peer?

Oh, and trust me, if people could delete their own threads, there are people who would delete all their own threads, and then post a new thread entitled "ZOMG ATS IS DELETING MY THREADS!!!! PROOF THAT THIS IS A GOVERNMENT WEBSITE!!!!".

In a perfect world, where everyone had perfect integrity... A self delete feature would work. In the imperfect world that we live in? It would be total chaos.

~Heff

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Heff,
You are speaking of a small minority not the majority of ATS. Should a small minority dictate the policy of ATS? We are all adults if everyone knows this is the policy and knows they risk having their great post deleted on a thread I think we can handle it. Nothing would be perfect but the bandwidth saved would be worth it and as a known policy I bet it would cut down on those claming ATS is censoring them etc. and you could even have a note that the OP deleted his/her own thread on the 404 page if you are worried about it.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Like I said earlier, what you post is part of your permanent record on ATS and should be viewable for everyone, I think that makes you think a bit before posting.
Even if a post doesn't get many replies it might make interesting reading.
And for troll ridden threads, that's entirely up to the mods to take care of, use the alert button if you think it's a violation of t&c.

And just for the record, I think the words troll, shill and paid disinfo agent is loosing it's meaning on ATS as it is thrown around waaaay too much by people who can't handle that peoples views differ from their own.

Hefficide is also spot on with his views on the subject imo.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Hawkiye,

Those were my opinions as a member, not a mod!

So, in that regard, if my opinion is in the minority, so be it. I take comfort in knowing that I participate in a forum where a minority or unpopular opinion can be aired without fear of reprisal, banning, or undo censorship. I believe in democratic process and would happily accept the change if a majority of ATS membership (Which includes all mods) sought to make this feature available.

I'd make the same argument as I have here, behind the scenes as well. All debates need contradictory viewpoints as a means of exploring the subject matter.

~Heff

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 2/22/11 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I agree with you over all Heff,However would you also object to a slightly longer edit time.Sometimes even a proof read misses something and a later check turns up a missed grammer mistake or mispelling.

top topics

join