It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFOs or mirages?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Many years ago Harvard astronomer Donald Menzel claimed that many classic UFOs were in fact mirages. James McDonald, superlative atmospheric physicist, refuted most of Menzel's claims and even the notorious Edward Condon thought that Menzel was mad.

But some classic UFOs may in fact have been mirages or reflections. For example the famous 1990 (not 1994) Montreal 'aerial phenomenon' was almost certainly a reflection of hotel swimming pool lights - see link in my last post in the thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And, again on ATS, Arbitrageur has presented convincing evidence that Tim Edwards' classic 1995 film of a cigar-shaped UFO near Salida, Colorado:

www.youtube.com...

was in fact of a superior atmospheric reflection of a solar reflection on the river to the southwest of Salida. A temperature inversion above Salida may have created a thin, invisible cloud layer that reflected the solar reflection on the river, creating the shimmering UFO image:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Arbi also suggested that some night-time Salida UFOs might have been similar reflections of lunar reflections on the river.

If UFO researchers want to be taken seriously by scientists, they need to publicise these mirage explanations for certain cases, just as Jim McDonald would have done. As far as I know, neither Richard Haines nor Bruce Maccabee have acknowledged that there are good prosaic explanations in these two important instances.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Lowneck

How does this theory account for UFO seen from planes ? It seems to me that mirages dont occur at 32,000 feet , so how do we use this theory to slam the cigar shapes seen at those altitudes, or the things that fighter pilots have attempted to shoot down?

new topics

join