It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Down the rabbit hole we go...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Everyone at ATS may be in an Alternate Reality Game (ARG). I feel as if I entered into some type of game world here. So I got to thinking about the whole rabbit hole thing and I jumped. Thing is...I don't want to go down any longer because it gets in the way of my real reality, called life. It's been a fun ride though.

Just some food for thought...
Wiki - Alternate reality game

Unique terminology Among the terms essential to understand discussions about ARGs are:

Puppetmaster - A puppetmaster or "PM" is an individual involved in designing and/or running an ARG. Puppetmasters are simultaneously allies and adversaries to the player base, creating obstacles and providing resources for overcoming them in the course of telling the game's story. Puppetmasters generally remain behind the curtain while a game is running. The real identity of puppet masters may or may not be known ahead of time.

The Curtain - The curtain is generally a metaphor for the separation between the puppetmasters and the players. This can take the traditional form of absolute secrecy regarding the puppetmasters' identities and involvement with the production, or refer merely to the convention that puppetmasters do not communicate directly with players through the game, interacting instead through the characters and the game's design.

Rabbithole - Also known as a Trailhead. A Rabbithole marks the first website, contact, or puzzle that starts off the ARG.

Trailhead - A deliberate clue which enables a player to discover a way into the game. Most ARGs employ a number of trailheads in several media, to maximise the probability of people discovering the game. Some trailheads may be covert, others may be thinly-disguised adverts.

This Is Not A Game (TINAG) - Setting the ARG form apart from other games is the This Is Not A Game aesthetic, which dictates that the game not behave like a game: phone numbers mentioned in the ARG, for example, should actually work, and the game should not provide an overtly-designated playspace or ruleset to the players.

edit on 21-2-2011 by flyingviolet because: forgot link

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by flyingviolet

Fractals. Patterns within the same pattern repeating itself to infinity. When even a small aspect of the repeating fractal pattern is changed, the entire fractal design eventually changes. IE - one person can make a difference.

I think of it more like a movie, but it definitely resembles a Role Player Game reality.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Freaking fractals!!!

I love the concept and believe the implications, but what always got me is that the fractal looks like a fat lady bending over!!!

But yeah, alternate reality is just another door of your reality, and I agree with your fractal corelation.

I raise my glass to you good fractals, may you confuse and awe us for eternity!

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
If you quit now, you won't see the End Game Content.

Just sayin'

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
reply to post by flyingviolet

Fractals. Patterns within the same pattern repeating itself to infinity. When even a small aspect of the repeating fractal pattern is changed, the entire fractal design eventually changes. IE - one person can make a difference.

I think of it more like a movie, but it definitely resembles a Role Player Game reality.

Yes, fractals, indeed. Thank you!

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by WickettheRabbit
If you quit now, you won't see the End Game Content.

Just sayin'

And isn't that the point? That of course is the enticement right? Very clever. Jedi mind tricks clever...and very appealing as well.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mikemp44
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Freaking fractals!!!

I love the concept and believe the implications, but what always got me is that the fractal looks like a fat lady bending over!!!

Have you been to a Walmart on a weekend? Fractals!!

top topics

join