It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Welcome to the Wild Wild West in TX ???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Well many of you remember the wild west and how
gunslingers use to carry guns everywhere strapped
to their hips. This idea of being able to carry guns
freely was what started a fierce gun battle between
Wyatt Earp and the Clancies at the OK Corral as could
be seen in the movie Tombstone.

Well it seems that Texas may be going back to
open carry state.

Texas to pass bill allowing guns on college campuses

WASHINGTON – Texas is poised to approve a measure allowing college students and professors to carry guns on campus, an initiative with strong support in the state legislature that critics concede they probably can't stop.

The legislation has been championed by Gov. Rick Perry, co-sponsored by over half the lawmakers in the state House, and approved two years ago in the Senate. Texas would follow Utah, the only state in the nation to have a similar law.

"It's strictly a matter of self-defense," state Sen. Jeff Wentworth, a Republican, told The Associated Press. "I don't ever want to see repeated on a Texas college campus what happened at Virginia Tech, where some deranged, suicidal madman goes into a building and is able to pick off totally defenseless kids like sitting ducks."

www.rawstory.com...

well I suppose both sides of the aisle will
get to speak their mind on this.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Good for them. I never have understood why it should be a bad thing for an individual to carry or open carry out in the public.
Of course a personally owned business can restrict this, and the person can take their business else where. Carrying into a court room is also somewhere that is and should be restricted.
Criminals will carry firearms/weapons no matter what the law states.
Laws are just rules for the lawful to abide by, but at the end of the day most laws are feel good ideas.
A lock will only keep an honest man out.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The west wasn't as wild as Hollywood would want you to believe. The crime rate back then was pretty low.

Deebo

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Well.... If you knew people were allowed to carry guns at a campus on one end of town, but not at the campus at the other end of town.....
If I was a criminal, I know where I would go.

I say good for them.
And for the people who say, well, if he can carry the gun and goes crazy.. Well he will be stopped a hell of a lot faster.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
This has already been posted the other day

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Frankly, I think this is a moot point. Anyone that is going to shoot up a place and attempt to kill crowds of people is not going to advertise it by waving around an AK-47, open carry legislation or not.

I would imagine the theory is that if a would-be criminal walked into a store to rob it, and noticed that many of the patrons were all carrying weapons, perhaps he/she would think twice before continuing with the robbery. In a lot of ways, I agree with this although I'm not sure whether or not there are actual statistics to back it up. For me, it's simply logical. One robber versus 8 armed men doesn't bode well for the robber.

One concern I would have is the possibility of more and more people trying to steal the weapons people are carrying. Seeing a gun strapped to a belt may be tempting for someone unable to obtain or purchase one for himself. However, I do not believe these types of thieves are the hard-core criminals anyway. Let's face it, criminals that want guns get guns. No matter how much legislation we pass trying to prevent it.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon
This has already been posted the other day

sorry, didn't see it when I searched
plus the fact that the article's date is:

Monday, February 21st, 2011 -- 9:44 am

that is less than 6 hrs ago.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

Its easier to steal when confrontation is at its lowest percentage. I can't see a large amount of people, open carrying having their guns stolen from their waist.

Good points though.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

The old saying goes that God made men, but Sam Colt made them equal. Col. Samuel Colt's revolver continues to serve as an equalizer. Being bigger, tougher and meaner than the next guy may not mean jack spit if the next guy carries a .357 in his waistband.

Bad attitude and big muscles make a poor match for a 200-grain lead slug

the poit is that guns make all men and women equal.

Read more: Guns: The great equalizer www.wnd.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
This is not open carry legislation.
This is to remove the prohibition for registered concealed weapons licensees to be able to carry on a college campus. Hospitals, sports arenas, courts and a number of other establishments are not legal carry venues for anyone except law enforcement in Texas.

ganjoa

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
also, it is legal to carry a handgun in most places...as long as it's not concealed....where you would need a concealed carry permit.

in most towns across the country, a firearm on your hip may draw some looks, but thats about it

TPTB want you to think that there is something wrong with carrying....they want you to think guns are scary and evil

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I'm all for it, my friend. My wife was attacked twice at two different college campuses when she was a student. Unfortunately they lived to see another day.

I am a returning student to my local community college. Some of the students there are thugs and have become a concern for the campus. I have my CCW license and would really like to be able to take my sidearm with me.

/TOA

new topics

top topics

join