It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the UK go the same way as Germany before World War 2

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkofmimir
First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Classic quote. I love that one. Speaks volumes about society at large.

But, again, modern UK in no way equates to inter-war germany. Can we not compare ourselves to Germany any time there's a domestic tiff?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
So if other members, can tell me. What happens if there is no agreement of the Eurpean Convention of Human Rights.

Does the UK pull out of it. How would UK Members feel about it, as well as European Members,

Where would it lead to?

That is my questions.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Nothing will happen.

We wont lose our membership and they wont come after us.
They raised this question on Question Time last Thursday and said we wouldn't be the first to reject or go against some European legislation and we wont be the last and that effectively nothing would happen to us.

I think we should have our own Human Rights act and sort it out ourselves, we're not animals and we don't need Europe to tell us how to treat people, we're pretty capable of determining that ourselves.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

And how much is it going to be censored?

That is why I referred to Germany before WW2.

The Population fell for it.

If we have a Bill of rights whom does it, benefit, oh the crap, with it will benefit those whom are vunreabe, is misleading. Not It wll benefit the rich, before it benefits the poor in UK Society.

And once it is introduced how much control will the courts have over the Government, if the courts ruling does, not go their way. They wil be able to change legislations without our the peoples consent.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Laura UK

From your 'tone' i get the impression that you doubt and fear that the current coalition government might try and 'sway' the population into believeing some radical ideolistic thinking....similar to the 1930's when Germany was on it's knees and a mad man called Hitler took advantage.............. I do not believe for one second that this would happen in the UK because over-whelmingly the population ''thinks'' left of centre.......OK..... you get right wing and left wing and current mixed governments BUT on the whole the population of this country are TOO wishey washey currently to go with an extremist view, like you suggest in your opening.....

I actually think there are other countries whom present a much more immeadiate threat in the way you suggest..

On the subject of the european bill of human rights........ I think it has been abused by the legal eagles of here and europe and actually Common Sense has been overtaken by point scoring and technicalities......... do you really think that this bill / law ?? is actually working well now ?

It needs reforming and a BIG injection of common sense.....for all our sakes..

Regards

PDUK

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

The british people are held to account by our court system, which is answerable to our goverment!

As far as human rights go, I am sure we can manage without the interference of the EU. After all, few of the countries who belong have good human rights records historically. (past 100 years?)

The moment someone is sentenced for a crime serious enough to get a custodial sentence, they loose most of their human rights.

Murderers pedophiles, rapists bankers (:-) ) etc should be able to expect warm and dry shelter, edible food, medical care and to be safe. Prisoners should not be entitled to anything more, in my view.

As for nazi germany, well I have pondered on your question but for very different reasons. Immigration, inflation, unemployment, etc etc. I guess it depends how far this goverment goes in attempting to sort out the mess. If they talk alot but ignore the wishes of those who put them in power AND our financial situation deterioratates AND the wrong type of leader came to the fore, then is is just possible we could have a disaster on our hands. It would need a very specific set of circumstances, happening at the "perfect" moment for this to become reality.

Right now, our goverment is picking on the disabled, wanting to cut their benefit. Our goverment give far more to 3 world countries than they give in fraudulent claims. Professional mothers get far more in total than the disabled, as do immigrants.

So pick on the disabled, or the jews, there is a connection there, but will our goverment stop at benefits? How much further will they go?

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
The UK was not as "innocent" as you think in WW II.

And neither was the US especially.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join