It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libyan pilots defect to Malta

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Libyan pilots defect to Malta

www.di-ve.com

Two Libyan Air Force Mirage jet fighters have arrived in Malta and landed at Malta International Airport this afternoon.
Sources said that the pilots had initially asked for refuelling, however sources said their arrival was unexpected. The pilots are being held by the AFM.

Another 2 French registered Super Puma civilian helicopters landed at Malta International Airport this afternoon carrying 7 people on board. The passengers claimed they are French.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.vancouversun.com

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline
edit on 2/22/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Apprently to Lybian pilots took off from Lybia in there fighter jets and when they arrived into Malta's airspace they asked for asylum.
It was just reported on the BBC but the only news story I could find is the link provided.
This really is beginning to look like the end of the plastic mans reign.

www.di-ve.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Yes, just listened to this on Al-Jazeera, as well. Apparently, it was because they were asked to fire upon protestors, in Benghazi, and they were not willing to do that. There has been reports that some planes have been firing upon protestors, in Tripoli, so obviously some of the pilots have gone down the opposite route. Those pilots who defected, deserve a pat on the back, in my eyes. It's pretty shameless that any military would turn on the general public, so easily.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Wow that's pretty huge if it's true!

I gotta guess those jets were not on a training mission either! - Probably live weapons?

Wow - Proper suspense drama stuff

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
The two aircraft are Dassault Mirage F.1s.

www.airliners.net...

Not the first time that Libyan Pilots have defected or tried to defect.

Libyan MiG-23 defected to Greece in 1981 and 1989. The aircraft were returned to Libya.

In 1980 the wreckage of a Libyan MiG-23 was found in southern Italy. It was assessed that the Pilot was trying to defect and crashed into high ground.

TJ

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Its true, been following it

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by tommyjo

Obviously they hve seeked asylumfor some reason. Have they fired on protestors and thought. Lets get out of here.

Or have they been ordered to fire on protestors and said no way. Lets get out of here.

Either way Gadaffe is not going to go out without taking alot of innocent people with him.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ScepticalBeliever
Yes, just listened to this on Al-Jazeera, as well. Apparently, it was because they were asked to fire upon protestors, in Benghazi, and they were not willing to do that. There has been reports that some planes have been firing upon protestors, in Tripoli, so obviously some of the pilots have gone down the opposite route. Those pilots who defected, deserve a pat on the back, in my eyes. It's pretty shameless that any military would turn on the general public, so easily.

No fighter pilot should be ordered to fire
on protesters.

And I bet if they refused and landed back
at their home base, they would have been
shot for treason.

So I applaud these pilots as well for
having a conscious. And I should hope
US Pilots would refuse that very same order
if given by an American Commander.

There may be a lot of defections of military
personnel from lots of countries in the near future.
Hope they are granted their asylum. Cuz if not,
they will face a firing squad when they get home.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
just a lil update:
over 200 dead in Libya

Gadaffi's son warns:
we will fight to the last man, woman
and the last bullet.

www.ndtv.com...

after reading that statement, it seems more
plausible why those Mig Pilots defected.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

UN Lybian Ambassadors to the UN calls for Gadaffe to step, down, 160 people dead today in clashed in Lybian capital, reportslive on sky news.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Wait... it is confirmed that the Libyan air force was given orders to fire upon the protesters, or it is confirmed that pilots for the airforce landed in Malta in their jets seeking asylum, or both?

Umm, sorry i have nothing intellectual to add. That just blows my mind. How does a fighter pilot ever fire upon their own citizens-unarmed citizens i might add- jsut because they are peacefully protesting?

Fire upon the person who told you to do so, then we might begin to move in the right direction.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by asperetty

Just reports honey sorry. But Pictures have supposingly been shown. Until Anyone else can verify these claims. I will claim ignorance.

Pictures were shown but no videofootage as proof.
edit on 21-2-2011 by Laurauk because: Fixing spelling

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
UN Lybian Ambassadors to the UN calls for Gadaffi to step, down, 160 people dead today in clashed in Libyan capital, reports live on sky news.

ousting a dictator is like trying to remove a tick.
No matter what you try,
somebody is gonna bleed.

and some reports say 160
some say 200.
whatever the number,
it's too many

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I agree any loss off innocent life is shocking and horryfying to say the least.

It really boggles ones mind. If this sort of rising happenned here in the UK, would the government do this.

I for one this ends before there is any moreinnocent people dying that is for sure.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
What Moammar is doing should be no surprise. Remember, many of his personal security force are past members of Idi Amin Da Da's personal guard! His Generals are ruthless veterans of the Chad rebellion. He also has a history of hiring some of the worst dregs of society in the mercenary's world since Reagan bombed him in '86! It isn't like Quadaffi has a history of caring about his 'subjects' welfare or any other countries citizens!

Zindo
edit on 2/21/2011 by ZindoDoone because: spelling

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I am at Luqa airport now, the two pilots are hear to seek asylum as they refused an order or orders so are the whispers around here.
The Libyian ambassador based here in Malta is not too happy apparently.

air traffic seems quite but there are suggestions that the authorities are expecting 'more', I am assuming more means army detectors, refugees and Maltese residents.

I'll update if anything significant unfolds.

Peace

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Good for those pilots, if this is indeed true.

Shows humanity!

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Damn right good for those pilots-I hope many follow them.
First thing they should do is sell their Mirage planes to Malta for top dollar.
That should see them get enough money to help get their families/friends outta Libya.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

The aircraft are still sovereign property and they belong to the Libyan people. When a new administration is governing Libya the aircraft will be returned. Cuban MiGs have defected to the US and their pilots offered asylum. The aircraft are still the property of Cuba and were returned. In the past other Libyan Pilots have defected to Greece and the aircraft were returned to Libya. The same with the MiG-25 that defected to Japan was returned to Russia. In most cases the aircraft is returned to the Government that owns them. The Maltese will simply impound the aircraft until Gadaffi is removed and an internationally recognised administration takes over.

TJ

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
reply to post by tommyjo

Obviously they hve seeked asylumfor some reason. Have they fired on protestors and thought. Lets get out of here.

Or have they been ordered to fire on protestors and said no way. Lets get out of here.

Either way Gadaffe is not going to go out without taking alot of innocent people with him.

I would assume that the pilots had the briefing of the bombing run and decided together that they should proceed, already knowing that they were going to defect.
This is a scary thought already, and i would love to know what the USA has planned to deal with the death of protesters and the massacre that has been happening.
how easily does a country except people seeking asylum, is there an interrogation process

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join