It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar storms could create $2tn 'global Katrina', warns chief scientist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Solar storms could create $2tn 'global Katrina', warns chief scientist

www.guardian.co.uk

A solar storm starts with a solar flare that is accompanied by a burst of electromagnetic radiation that, when it arrives at Earth, ionises the outer atmosphere. On the ground, we would be safe but GPS satellites and others would be affected.

"GPS is a critical part of almost everything we do," said Thomas Bogdan, director of the Space Weather Prediction Centre in Colorado. "The ubiquitous need for an uninterrupted power supply, satellite-delivered services – every time you go to a gas station and purchase a gallon of gas with your credit card, that's a satellite transaction taking place
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 21-2-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I normally take a lot of these science stories with a grain of salt, as they often times seem to shift dramatically literally day to day in the "what if" scenarios, but this IS one that I have thought about, especially in recent times, and as our society seems to become more and more technology based.

This to me is a possibility, and one we should take precautions for and have a back-up plan in place for, as much as possible.

What happens IF there is a massive solar storm which disables virtually ALL technology? How will you survive? Communicate?

Things to think about, and have a plan in place imho.

Discuss please...

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Like you say a grain of salt is a good idea. But saying that there are increasing numbers of stories about this subject recently. So...

I hope nothing comes of it. Just in case I've always got my Go Bag which includes plenty of candles, a windup/ solar powered radio/torch/siren combo. Water purification tablets foil blankets etc. Should be OK for a short while!

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
If a big enough one came and there was not time to take the necessary steps to minimize the damage, I would assume that most people wouldn’t survive.

With the power grid crippled oil doesn’t get pumped or refined, trains truck and barges don’t move, store shelves aren’t replenished, clean fresh drinking water isnt pumped, sewage doesn’t get treated, pharmaceuticals don’t get made, and furnaces turn off.

Starvation, exposure and water borne diseases would kill many and violence over the scraps would do a good portion of the rest in.

Your best bet is a small tight knit community.
edit on 21-2-2011 by SirMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
They have been warning about this from the 90's in Nature and other scientific journals...

The government has REFUSED to act and do several things that have been published over and over to keep this from getting out of hand. They know it's going to happen in the future as it has happened in the past (we only had telegraph wires last time this happened and so not much was knocked out). All the recent news articles has pushed the past info on this off the search engines... but here is one example. 100m is a drop in the bucket to fix this problem, but I would bet all of it that it won't get done. link.

This will be another planned event. Watch what they spin because of it. They will push more globalist agenda.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
If this were to last for a while, it would be not good. On a lighter note, Families with children should lay in the Valium for both the parents and the kids. Also Gen X, as living without the constant connection and gizmoes will cause some to melt down completely. Imho

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Funny how America built concentration camps and have plastic coffins for families but take no preventance against solar activity possiblities which has likely to occur. As they upgrade and install new infactures for government?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze

This will be another planned event. Watch what they spin because of it. They will push more globalist agenda.

I completely agree with you there, they want the system to fail.

Why spend a small amount of money to prevent a known problem when you can bankrupt the planet trying to fix the aftermath.

There is of course the more sinister view as well...what could a prepared military accomplish during a naturally caused global blackout?

Can't twitter plans when there are no functioning electronics.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by CIGGSofWAR

Not funny at all....

It shows their eugenic depopulation agenda clearly.
See my thread on this here: ats thread.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
A thread on this has already been started. Here www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I've pondered this.
What has got me thinking is the two comets this year.
March and then again (which just may be the one to cause a solar storm) around September and October.

I've read Elenin mentioned once so far at ATS, the 2000 PN9 may get close enough to see, around 1 to 10 mil miles during the middle of March.
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

As for Elenin
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

The jury is still out... But one thing is for sure, these two comets will line up and may cause some issues with that alignment. And earth may pass through the tail and debris trail; then add the possibility of a solar storm.

I hope to get pictures, best to use 35 mm camera though.
I'd like to know the makeup of these two comets, if ice, probably not much will happen. If iron, Houston we have a problem.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
OK. I'll ask the question. Who cares? If it's going to happen, then guess what? It's going to happen. What difference does it make in the whole scheme of things if we have any advance knowledge of a hypothesis like these?

Prediction = guess.
Hypothesis = guess + a dash of scientific jargon

Huhm? Anyone?

I'm not going to curl into a ball waiting and looking over my shoulder every second for this next prediction to happen. Give me life and I'm going to live it.

Oh and here's my hypothesis:

"Solar storms are going to add up to a whole lot of nothing. Your daily life will not change at all. DON'T MAX OUT YOUR CREDIT CARDS! Life is not going to change".

Sad that people are such followers.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I've got the grab bag, knowledge of wild food. Hunting equipment ( RecurveBow, slingshot) The grab bag should contain a magnifying glass,for fire starting. Foil sheets. knife,sanitizing gel,string, rope,iodine,a couple of cooking pots. If anyone can think of anything else please say. Hopefully in such a scenario i could stay in my home and gather my own food and make my own heat- depends though, on how desperate other people would get! Might have to head for the wilderness!

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
With the recent thread here on ATS found here about earths near miss dodging the 'solar bullet' was that just the shot over our bow before the real one hits?

Also something i found very interesting in a recent episode in the new series of history channels 'The Universe' which talks about the very real danger that such a CME could knock out energy transformers accross the world, and would take years to repair, such a thing would be total loss of power, most importantly to water pump stations. Without these we could see a massive loss of population of the earth due to starvation and drought in a very short period of time. Ive gone from being slightly sceptical to being quite concerned!

The full episode is now on youtube, a must see if you havnt allready.

new topics

top topics

join