It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boycott the UK census over links to Lockheed Martin, protesters say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

People are being urged to boycott next month's UK's census because the US arms manufacturer responsible for Trident is involved in gathering the information.

Protesters say they are willing to break the law and face a £1,000 fine and a criminal record by refusing to fill in the 32-page questionnaire.

The company, which makes Trident nuclear missiles, cluster bombs and F-16 fighter jets, won the £150m contract to run the census on behalf of the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

A spokesman for the Stop the War Coalition said: "We will certainly be calling for a boycott and telling people not co-operate with the warmongers."

"The really worrying thing is the fact that the information being collected in the next census – including new questions on sources of income and place of birth [to help monitor immigration] – would be ideal fodder for the kind of anti-terror analyses being carried out by Lockheed, and could lead to a faraway database identifying thousands of us as potential 'threats'."

And as always, the reassurances come swiftly:

"No personal census data will be handled or seen by any American-owned company".

Except...actions speak louder than words, don't they.
What's suddely changed that would stop the MIC simply collecting the data regardless (how would you know?), as they already do?
Tell me - if your job was to compile data on the population in order to weed out potential activists, dissenters and terrorists...would you 'close your eyes' to the massive amounts of highly relevent data in the census??

According to Geoff Meaden, a peace campaigner and former Green party parliamentary candidate:

"we have no legal precedence as to whether, under the pretext of national security, this census information can be acquired by the US government. The Office for National Statistics claims that our data will be safe but the UK government has demonstrated on several occasions that it cannot be trusted with managing digital data containing personal records."

I find it more than coincidental that Lockheed have been given the right to host this census, especially in light of the news that the MIC (Military Industrial Complex) are actively engaged in cyber monitoring, posing as fake people to infiltrate social networks, their datamining of social networks and their incessant need to consider everyone a terrorist until they've proven otherwise to themselves.

I for one, will be boycotting this particular census, simply because I don't trust Lockheed Martin to do the right thing.

I urge others to do so too, so as to give a clear message that we will not tolerate known warmongerers and mass murderers organising and collecting detailed, personal and potentially damning information from each member of the UK public.

Source
edit on 21-2-2011 by OptimisticPessimist because: to add source

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Do you have any links to this info?

Never liked the idea of census' anyway.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Sorry!

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by OptimisticPessimist

That's alright.

I honestly wonder how many people would get the fine for not doing the census.
I seriously doubt many would.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat

That's alright.

I honestly wonder how many people would get the fine for not doing the census.
I seriously doubt many would.

I've failed to fill and return them before now and am still awating the punishment.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
i wont be filling it in thats for sure.....theres no law saying you have to...just an act which needs consent...which i refuse to give, given the circumstances!!

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
The Harper (Progressive Conservatives) government sold Canadians' privacy to Lockheed-Martin with our national census.

Some have fought it, including one Saskatchewan activist, Sandra Finley.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Apparently, the UK will be accommodating one of pm Harper's colleagues, the premier of the province of Saskatchewan, from Feb. 23 - 27.
Mr. Wall will be expounding his reported successes in "saving" the potash industry... to brag up the natural resources we are ripping from our foundations.

He'll tell you how we have progressed. Some beg to differ. Like the ones without blinders on.

Have you heard of the Alberta tar sands? Massive death and destruction have only begun.
Don't believe everything you read, or what the politicians tell you.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
i wont be filling it in thats for sure.....theres no law saying you have to...just an act which needs consent...which i refuse to give, given the circumstances!!

Are you referring to Legal Fiction?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ItsEvolutionBaby

Have you heard of the Alberta tar sands?

No I've not. What is that about then?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

This video is from 2007, but includes a speech that could very well have come from the Saskatchewan leaders in the past 2 years.
Shameful.
Our First Nations people are ingesting poisonous water and polluted fish, dying from all kinds of cancers, while their home land is being ripped from under them.

Thanks for asking.

Alberta Tar Sands:
www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by OptimisticPessimist

Are you referring to Legal Fiction?

haha hmmmmm......they all do it to scare you...nothing will come of it if its not returned.
I had a letter from DVLA telling me i had to pay them £20 to have the pic on my license changed before 11-01-11 or i would face a £1000 fine...i never did it for a couple of reasons...1 being that i could send a pic of you to be put on my license..whats the point of changing a pic if theres no proof its you>?? And secondly it doesnt affect my entitlement to drive...my license is valid until 2049.

Scare tactics to make you do something you dont want to lol....ive had 3-5 traffic police cars behind me the last 2 weeks...none have pulled me over so obvioulsy my license is valid or it would show as a non license holder on the ANPR....stealth tax!!

So na...im not filling the form in...what they going to do...lock me up haha yea right

£1000 fine....good luck getting that too haha

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
an idea for all who have reservations about supplying information.
when the forms come, type out on a4, date and address.
then allow several lines before typing:

Information Retrieval
Please submit form Information Retrieval Form 27B-6.

paper clip this to the form and video-document sealing contents into envelope.
send off.
as there is a lack of precedence to who can acquire this information, form simply asks the interested party to request form 27b-6 with a view to accessing information from recipient. recipient then sends form 27b-6 which includes the statement

Information exchange will be granted by the recipient upon interested party producing access passwords for the mainframe.

that may just be enough to jump the queue on the watchlist.

since i watched 'brazil' it has always been in my head. since then anyone cold-calling,phoning or generally asking for too much information gets this in an instant. a number of sniffers actually asked for the form to which i usually reply 'you need to request the form by registered post'.
f
edit on 21-2-2011 by fakedirt because: confusing grammar

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsEvolutionBaby

Our First Nations people are ingesting poisonous water and polluted fish, dying from all kinds of cancers, while their home land is being ripped from under them.

The overt callous abuses of life, land and liberty are an all too common theme for mankind. It makes me ashamed to be a 'human'. It's our current nature to exploit, sadly.
I can't watch the vid yet as I'm running on fumes at the mo (PAYG internet) but I will as soon as I can, I promise.

I had a letter from DVLA telling me i had to pay them £20 to have the pic on my license changed before 11-01-11 or i would face a £1000 fine...

Same here. That was around 10 years ago - I didn't respond and I'm still waiting for the repercussions too.
Makes for a laugh when I use my drivers licence for photo ID if anything.

Originally posted by fakedirt
an idea for all who have reservations about this.

I can't say I fully understand what you mean, but it certainly sounds like a plan that would work to limit access to ones info...I'd use a stapler instead of a paperclip though!

I'm going to have to re-read that a few more times and get my poor brain around it!
Much obliged for the advice, Thank You.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
How is it an aircraft manufacturer like Lockheed Martin, a company with it's tentacles deep in the US "military-industrial-complex" has the provision to go after contracts involving census-data collecting? That's not exactly something aircraft or industries deal with.

One can't help but feel there is some goal on this companies part to acquire detailed information about every UK citizen.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

cheerz op i see what you mean.
edited for clarity
f

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
This article explains some of what Lockheed Martin does -www.cbsnews.com...
Personally I cannot support a company responsible (via Cluster Bombs) for the deaths of millions of people worldwide - so I shall not be filling in the census.
I have also 'liked' this page "Census UK 2011 Boycott - What you should know about Lockheed Martin"
on facebook; You may wish to do the same.
edit on 22-2-2011 by eyeswide1234 because: you wouldn't let me use the full url for the facebook page in question

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Meh. I am 36 years old and every census form I have ever received has gone in the trash.

top topics

join