It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egyptians Order Pizza for Wisconsin Protesters

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I dont think about the politics behind this post..

This i see people supporting each other when it is needed.. exp people who called from Egypt considering what is going on there now.. I agree with the one guy above..

We are Chinese, American, Russian, Turkish, but in the end we are all we the people.. not them the outsiders.. This post shows we are looking out for one another, no matter color, background, or religion.. This is actually a good thing to see considering how everyone wants to tell us how divided we are towards one another.. This proves the exact opposite.. This is cool as hell.. Thanks MA for showing us this..

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
As always, this thread is now anti corporate blah blah. The union organizations and their leaders are in the same big boat has the corporations that you all despise. That's a reality that I see very clearly.

Let's focus on Wisconsin rather than the plight of laborers in the developing parts of the world. That's a problem that will have to eventually be addressed in those nations. Not my problem. We now have federal and state laws and agencies that protect the working conditions in the US. If you have a gripe over working conditions call OSHA or the ACLU.

This is what Gov. Walker is trying to achieve:

To help close this budget gap, Gov. Walker, a Republican, has proposed legislation that would make state employees, including teachers, pay 5.8 percent of their salary in contributions to their pension plan and 12.6 percent of what the state pays for their insurance premiums.

The governor’s proposal would also prevent state employees’unions from engaging in collective bargaining over state workers’ benefit packages, allowing them only to bargain over wages. Also, state employees’ wages would not be allowed to increase faster than the rate of inflation (the Consumer Price Index) unless voters approved the increase in a referendum.

Not too bad really. It is more in line with what those of us not in a union have grown accustomed to. We still don't get to bargain over wages. Don't remember when I last received got a cost of living bump. Only meager MERIT raises and an occasional year end bonus that is tied directly to the overall performance/profit of the company. I'm happy and work for a great company in a great environment. No need to walk off the job. If I did, I wouldn't have a job to come back to.

The federal govt. gave Wisconsin public schools $670 million in 2008. Here is some perspective.

The $669.6 million in federal tax dollars that was directed to Wisconsin public schools in fiscal 2008 is more than 22 times as much as the $30 million that Wisconsin would save in this fiscal year from the changes proposed by Gov. Walker and more than twice as much as the $300 million the governor’s plan would save the state over the next two fiscal years.

Wisconsin spent $10,791 per pupil in its public elementary and secondary schools in fiscal year 2008, according to the NCES. That amount includes salaries and benefits for teachers, school administrators and support staff as well as other school expenses.

Wisconsin’s $10,791 per-pupil spending in its public schools was more than the $10,353 that neighboring Illinois spent; or the $10,048 that neighboring Minnesota spent; or the $9,520 that neighand Iowa spent.

In fact, the $10,791 Wisconsin spent per pupil in its public schools in fiscal 2008 was more than was spent on public schooling by any other Midwest state, according to the NCES.

Wisconsin’s closest Midwest competitor was Nebraska, which spent $10,565 per public in its public elementary and secondary schools in fiscal 2008.

www.cnsnews.com...
edit on 21-2-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
We made a billionaire out of Mubarak, rather than confiscate some of that money Hillary has promised $150 million to Egypt (to whom ?) for transition. And people are impressed by a few pizzas!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by nocents

You dont get the point of this post.. we are not talking about politicians in this post.. we are talking about people of other nations, faiths, issues. coming together and helping the people.

Ask I said.. Shows We The People of this planet, not us vs them like we are led to believe... I dont care about the politics behind it, I think its awesome.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Maybe they could send the pizzas to the poor kids missing out on their free lunches because protesting teachers shut the schools down so they could march to keep their 9 month a year +$100K jobs in tact
edit on 21-2-2011 by SirMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by nocents

If those teachers had huge influence over the Suez ..thyd get their perks and bargaining ability...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike
Maybe they could send the poor pizzas to the kids missing out on their free lunches because protesting teachers shut the schools down so they could march to keep their 9 month a year +$100K jobs in tact

Well firstly I don't think that kids should get free lunches in the first place, I think parents should make them food in the mornings.
But in any case that's not the point at all

The point is that people from all walks of life are starting the unite and are finally waking up to see who the real enemy is.
And the powers that be are very worried about this!
Something will happen to the internet very soon i'm sure of it

link   
I think everyone on the planet should take a look at Earth from space and take note of what they do not see. What they will not see are borders. Borders create nationalities. Nationalities create differences. Differences create division.

We may all be different in our own personal, unique ways, but what we share with everyone around us regardless of nationality is the desire to live, love, and laugh in freedom and prosperity.

Borders are imaginary. The differences they create should be imaginary as well. I hope one day for a global awakening where we see that and stop fighting one another and start fighting those who wish to deprive us of our desire to live, love, and laugh in freedom and prosperity.

Stories like these are just one small step towards achieving that. I believe we are heading in the right direction and people are beginning to realize that there are powerful, evil people trying to control the lives of billions and that we all need to stand together as one to combat it. But there is still more work that can be done.

I have been saying it for a few weeks now since these protests in the Middle East and Africa began - if nothing else, at least show your moral support to the causes of the people who are taking to the streets in protest of the oppression they face on a daily basis. We all face the same problems. We all need to speak the same voice.

It may be a cliché phrase, but it still rings true: United we stand. Divided we fall.

link   
Did this make it to the Main Stream Media?

Somehow I'm not sure they would want this getting on the air...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by PETROLCOIN

You are awesome.. So you know.. Your post is cool as hell..

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
My God how could such a beautiful gesture of good will and love be tainted with such talk of division and hate.

Brother and Sisters on the other side of the globe shed blood, sweat, and tears for the sacred calling of freedom from their oppressors, and in their joy they shared their good will and love for what they won with family they do not even know during their own struggles. Family that was their oppressors! This gets politicised and labeled and twisted into an evil act?

Unions are people fighting for equality. You begrudge the teachers of our future generations for demanding equality while the snakes who rape our natural wealth and enslave you sit high in their towers and watch the struggles with sadistic delight? Is it envy to see a group try to fight for more of what this world has to offer when so much is hoarded away? Is it laziness to not support them even join them that You too might find equality?

Oh but the budget cannot sustain it! Oh but the finances are a wreck! Oh but, oh but, oh but...

Open your eyes people. You are divided over the illusion of wealth called MONEY. It does not exist. It is merely a piece of paper with shoddy art work on it. It is the illusion which enslaves you. It is in your hand to live, it is on your mind to feel your own self worth. It is a mark upon you that keeps you divided, one from the other. How long will you adore the mark?

It has been said that it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Well know this, the Kingdom of Heaven is upon us. The gates are opening wide and the masses are rushing in. Now that camel may not like it, it may bawl and wail against what is about to occur, but before my last breath is taken that Camel will have been pulled through that needle kicking and screaming by his tail!

We are all equal in this world. We all come into this world with talents and desires that can benefit the human race. Whether it be a street sweeper or a rocket scientist, all contribute according to what they have been given. This illusion, this mark upon us is the only division between one man's worth and another's. Cast it out it is the evil upon us. We have much work to do in this world. We have polluted our oceans, our soils, and our air. We have built temples to the false idols of our own self glory. All the while raping our neighbors of their self worth and natural resources, turning a blind eye to the suffering of our own country men, imprisoning, enslaving, and castigating those who would rebel against this inequitable system, and debasing the future of our youth. America is a whore of inequality and we seem to rejoice in it. Come out of it my Brothers and Sisters.

The age of Nations and division are over...

Rejoice in it.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
wow, this is totally symbolic.

it shows that people support people, regardless of situation and borders.

should we buy them a beer?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
It's reading stuff like this that helps me keep some faith in humanity.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Egyptians Order Pizza for Wisconsin Protesters

slatest.slate.com

In an act of intercontinental solidarity, an Egyptian has ordered a pizza for Wisconsin protesters,

The call from Africa is just one of many streaming into the Madison, Wisc., pizza parlor Ian's from all over the world. So far, people from 12 countries and 38 states have rung up looking to help get free pizza to the Wisconsin protesters

staff member fielded calls from as far away as Turkey, Korea, Finland, China, and Australia. The trend began when a mother of a University of Wisconsin st
(visit the link for the full news article)

this reminds me greatly of the idea of a loaf of bread, give a loaf to a man and all will follow you, this is smart strategy by egyptians and wisconsins

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by SirMike
Maybe they could send the poor pizzas to the kids missing out on their free lunches because protesting teachers shut the schools down so they could march to keep their 9 month a year +$100K jobs in tact

Well firstly I don't think that kids should get free lunches in the first place, I think parents should make them food in the mornings.
But in any case that's not the point at all

The point is that people from all walks of life are starting the unite and are finally waking up to see who the real enemy is.
And the powers that be are very worried about this!
Something will happen to the internet very soon i'm sure of it

I'm sorry, but wasn’t there an election last November in which the voters of Wisconsin told the unions to go suck an egg because they were broke?

Its easy to get 50,000 people out to protest if they don’t have to go to work.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by locololo
this reminds me greatly of the idea of a loaf of bread, give a loaf to a man and all will follow you, this is smart strategy by egyptians and wisconsins

Only it was no strategy, but a spontaneous act by strangers seperated by thousands of miles, and yet could understand the trying times others are going through, enough to care to offer what they could. It came from the heart, proving only that we humans are not strangers or need to be strangers after all....

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
This is what Gov. Walker is trying to achieve:

To help close this budget gap, Gov. Walker, a Republican, has proposed legislation that would make state employees, including teachers, pay 5.8 percent of their salary in contributions to their pension plan and 12.6 percent of what the state pays for their insurance premiums.

The governor’s proposal would also prevent state employees’unions from engaging in collective bargaining over state workers’ benefit packages, allowing them only to bargain over wages. Also, state employees’ wages would not be allowed to increase faster than the rate of inflation (the Consumer Price Index) unless voters approved the increase in a referendum.

You're right, that doesn't sound too bad. Unfortunately, that's not what the protest is about. The protesters and union reps have all said that if Walker would drop the part that takes away their collective bargaining rights, everything else would be fine. They're willing to make sacrifices, they are not willing to give up their rights. Personally, I think the protesters are being incredibly reasonable, considering that Walker created the state budget deficit. He gives $137 million in tax cuts to the rich and there is suddenly a $137 million budget deficit. Weird how that works, isn't it?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101

Originally posted by locololo

Only it was no strategy, but a spontaneous act by strangers seperated by thousands of miles, and yet could understand the trying times others are going through, enough to care to offer what they could. It came from the heart, proving only that we humans are not strangers or need to be strangers after all....

I think this could be the beginning of something great. One world, one people.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Here is a more complete article from Politico on this story: From Cairo to Madison, some pizza

Here are the links to the pizza store's Facebook and Twitter accounts: Ian's Pizza (Facebook), Ian's Pizza (Twitter)

According to their chalkboard, updated as of last night, they have received donations from Korea, Finland, New Zealand, Denmark, Australia, Canada, Germany, China, United Kingdom, Netherlands, Turkey, Switzerland, Italy, and every U.S. state except Idaho, Mississippi, and Wyoming.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I love this story. It just goes to show that despite the fact that we all have different beliefs, and as much as our governments and the MSM portrays the other as evil, we are all a part of the human race, and regardless of where we live or which God we pray to, as human beings all we ask is that our basic rights be honored.
edit on 21-2-2011 by IamAbeliever because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join