It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space weather could wreak havoc in gadget-driven world

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Space weather could wreak havoc in gadget-driven world

news.theage.com.au...

A potent solar storm could disrupt these technologies, scorch satellites, crash stock markets and cause power outages that last weeks or months, experts said Saturday at the American Association for the Advancement of Science's annual meeting.
The situation will only get more dire because the solar cycle is heading into a period of more intense activity in the coming 11 years.
"This is not a matter of if, it is simply a matter of when and how big," said National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration administrator Jane Lubchenco.
"The last time we had a maximum in the solar cycle, about
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.space.com...

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
The 1859 super solar storm
Dodged a solar bullet.

edit on 21/2/11 by Chadwickus because: Fixed link...again

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Thought I would post up this article, it gives us a good indication on what's going through the mind of those at NOAA and the like.

It' been clear to me for a while now that we really aren't that prepared for solar storms, I mean a large, damaging storm has been inevitable for a long time and it will happen one day.

news.theage.com.au...
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 21/2/11 by Chadwickus because: Fixed link...again

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

easy to agree...

humans will not do as well as ,, say,, the koala bear..

but humans ARE animals.. and no matter how bad it becomes,,
(have you seen MAD MAX)??

we will as a species, will make it through it,,

and one day we will rebuild ,, and protect for the next one..

edit on 2/21/11 by darrman because: wife says to tell people we love,, "love you" and let our faith quell any fears....

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by darrman

People will survive for sure, we can survive without GPS, mobile phones and electricity, although if the entire North American grid goes down, things will get messy.

edit on 21/2/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Well, there's not much to say about it, except that we can only be prepared to a certain extent. No one alive, in America at least, has any clue how to survive without electricity and gadgets that make life easy.

I am VERY glad that I was taken camping throughout my life and also take my children. We never stay in parks, only in the primitive areas. We have spent weeks at a time with no electricity, running water or gadgets of any kind. It is not only educational, it is the most fun, relaxing times of our lives!

My only suggestion for folks would be to brush up on your camping skills and supplies!

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I tried this topic last year and MR TRANNY and PHAGE says nothing to worry about. Seems like mainstream is talking about this more often these days. Solar event or EMP event...HMMMM. Had a 14 hour power outage last week, not fun, wonder what 14 days would be like???

Anyhow my research here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

Some good advice.

I just recently (shame on me) put together a 'survival' bag for the family. In addition to the typical solar blankets/compas/knife/water I have also included wind-up flashlights and radio, complete with components to make it a charger.

I am also going to be looking into making a solar generator in addition to a big home garden/fruit trees/chickens/fishing and hunting gear.

Some people may see this as paranoid, I see it as basic common sense. I would say over 90% of our population is grossly un-prepared for something as benign as a power outage that lasts for more than a day or two. Could you imagine the mass panic if everything were fried? We now have the experts telling us it isn't a matter of if but when.

I was just talking with a neighbor two days ago about survivalist stuff. We agreed how important it is to network with our neighbors so that if we ever have a distaster, natural or otherwise, we can work together. THAT is essential, I think for the long-term.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

The very best thing you can do is build that network! I have a lot of familythat live close by, but for those who don't have family close having a network of people you can count on in a disaster is an absolute must!

I have to refresh our tackleboxes in the next few weeks. Our fishing supplies are depleted from last year.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Good thread Chad..
People will listen to you as you are not known as a fearmonger..

I wonder how long the power grid would be down?
Is there anyway we can protect some electrical gear at home or even the car?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by quest4info

Power outage is the worst thing that could happen in a solar storm.

Thing is though, you don't need a solar storm to take out grids, there are a myriad of other events that can do a lot more damage such as bushfires, hurricanes, flooding, etc etc, these things do more than knock your power out don't they?

Solar storms are a legitimate threat to technology, but not to human life.

Don't confuse the two.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Solar storms are a legitimate threat to technology, but not to human life.

Don't confuse the two.

Though we have seen towns go nuts when the power is out for a week or so..
The solar storm wouldn't harm people but other people may..

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Cars will be fine, there won't be any effect on them whatsoever.

As for how long the grid could be down for? As long as it takes to replace damaged transformers I would say.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Cars will be fine, there won't be any effect on them whatsoever.

As for how long the grid could be down for? As long as it takes to replace damaged transformers I would say.

Really? I heard newer cars which are mostly computer controled would be shot..
Older cars would be OK..

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Sorry Chad, I thought your post was about "Space weather could wreak havoc in gadget-driven world" but now your saying that power outages won't happen? Or are you just saying gadgets will fail?? Not following your thought I guess. Sorry I posted about power outages, I will move on now..enjoy your cell phone..or not??

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Solar weather has a very small window of being any threat to global communications and power.

The reason I say this is electronics are on the way out. Within the next 10 to 15 years a new technology known as photonics is going to render electronics obsolete.

Electronics use electronic circuits which use electric signals made of electrons. These systems are susceptible to solar weather and EMP.

Photonics use photonic circuits which use optical signals made of photons. They are not susceptible to EMP or solar radiation.

The technological leap will be like going from vaccuum tubes to electronic circuits.

We can already see current advantages in fiber optic communications that use optical signals. Optical fibers are completely immune to EMP and solar radiation.

DARPA and the US Government are already working with defense contractors on photonic integration.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
You may want to have a look at this thread as well and the replies that it got. It's obvious by my reply that I was somewhat dismayed by the reaction from some of the posters. I can't believe that some people just don't see the potential for chaos in the midst of an event such as this.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

:bnghd:

S&F
edit on 21-2-2011 by Tasty Canadian because: added s&f

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

DARPA and the US Government are already working with defense contractors on photonic integration.

Ahh, so it's the old, Problem,Reaction, Solution..

Scare us into allowing more trillions to be spent on research then get us to replace ALL our electronics with the new,safer stuff..
Nice ploy..

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Its not just safer. Its faster and uses less energy.

In terms of PCs and smartphones, I can't wait. Photonic circuits produce almost no heat and don't need large power supplies. Processors using the technology will be over one hundred times more powerful than top of the line CPUs currently on the market.

Combine photonic circuits with emerging holographic memory and people's smartphones in 10 to 15 years will be essentially supercomputers.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I really think this is missing the point.
We could all manage without our 'gadgets'. Some of us don't bother much with gadgets anyway. A universal loss of electricity would be a different matter.
Think..
Manufacturing
Transport
Medical procedures

To name but three.
Life as we know it would stop. There would be an immediate and terrible cull of the elderly, the disabled, the sick..
Society would eventually be rebuilt by a few lucky survivors - mostly those who are younger and fitter.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

We saw that happen with Katrina. In major metropolitan areas with high crime rates, there could be chaos. In rural areas not so much.

The window for such an event is narrowing in the US due to technology.

China and India though, I can't imagine the chaos that could follow.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join