It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents who smoke should be found unfit to be parents...

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/05466c67b3aa.jpeg[/atsimg]

Well, What about all of the global decision makers? What will the elite do after dinner and while making their next plan if it all ends here?

What about their children, their sons? Will they also be taken away and the elites deemed unfit because they smoke and drink?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Rubbish.. Whether or not a person smokes has no bearing on their ability to be a parent.
Really people should learn to mind their own business and stop dictating to others how to live their lives. Too many damn busybodies trying to force everyone to their narrowminded views... Live and let live lah...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
Let's also take children away from parents who...

Are both consuming alcohol at a pizza joint (someone has to drive)
Are allowing their children to consume happy meals and pepsi every other day (fat kills)
Are spending summers with their children by the pool (cancer is ugly and deadly)

The list could go on and on. The air outside is polluted terribly. Can we put them in a bubble?

Who gets the final say in what sin is bad enough to remove children from their home and place them in a far more broken system like foster care?

I am by no means saying it is healthy or it is right, but really?

There is almost nothing worse than a reformed smoker...

edit on 2/20/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/20/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

Totally agree.

But to be fair, reformed smokers need to hate the cigs or they will go back to smoking, so you can't blame them.

I gave up last night, 24 hour nicotine patch on, had nightmares about snogging this fit young girl, who then turned into a man, then turned into an old lady with no teeth.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Hopefully you will learn the differance between Co2 and CO cars and cigs make the same second hand smoke...its CO...not co2
edit on 21-2-2011 by Doc Holiday because: darn OCD and blank boxs

weird edit did not take....CO2 has the oxygen atom attached...CO does not and will steeal o2 from you to make the co2 atom....same as a running car in a closed garage.
edit on 21-2-2011 by Doc Holiday because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
Considering the myriad of problems the nicotine addiction inflicts upon the children of those addicted to this legal drug, it most certainly SHOULD be considered grounds for finding such parents as unfit to raise children...

This is the only thing I disagree with in your post. I don't think people should be considered unfit to parent because they smoke. I do think people should CHOOSE not smoke around their kids. But I don't believe in bringing the law into it. As with most social issues, I believe education is the answer, not legal restrictions.

Originally posted by badw0lf
I've heard people compare it to Heroin addiction, but never meth. And as a casual smoker, I would have to say thats a pretty long reach...

If you are a "casual smoker" then of course you don't see how addictive it can be. You're not addicted. But I can speak for someone who was addicted for a good 25 years and quitting smoking (and I mean the physical, emotional and mental addiction to smoking) IS one of the hardest things to do. I have never been addicted to anything else, so I cannot compare, but it was hell to break that habit! (Nicotine-free since Aug 19, 2001! Yay!)

Which drugs are the most addictive?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Kids are more likely to smoke if their FRIENDS smoke, not their parents. I know, my whole family smoke and yes so do I. I didn't start because of them though. I started because all my friends did it. It was 'cool'. I agree smoking is a smelly and disgusting habit and I have tried to quit in the past but its no good if you have too much stress going on. My cessastion nurse even told me that. If you quit while dealing with very tough life situations then you are basically setting yourself up to fail. And failure affects your self confidence. I will try again just not yet.

As for affecting the health of unborns as well as growing kids heres the thing... I smoked heavily when pregnant with my eldest and never had anything worse than a school bug and even thats rare. With my youngest I did it a bit more properly. I didn't quit (docs advice, would have put the feotus under too much stress) but I cut right down and she was born with an extra thumb, heart murmer and spent the first 2-3yrs in and out of a+e on a nebuliser for her breathing. They are BOTH healthy kids now with no problems.
Make your own minds up about that..

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

Why should that kid have to suffer from the stench and DNA-destroying properties of cigarette smoke?

I grew up in a household with a smoker, developed asthma from it.

LOL where do you come up with this haha....DNA-destroying now.....shouldnt they use this in warfare if its so dangerous??? Just get 10,000 soldiers to park up next to a target and all smoke 20 ciggys each....damn their DNA would be unrecognisable...the enemy would be brought to their knees with this stuff. Or just drop a second hand smoke bomb on them haha

Its not proven...its a hypothosis...i can hypothosize anything...doesnt make it any more true than the DNA destroying properties of tobacco.

You have bad genetics...thats all....dont get hung up on it and try and blame everyone else for your ill health

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Jaxon I will have to disagree here.

You think parents who smoke are unfit parents? Far from it.

What about the parents who are complete alcoholics or drug addicts? Those are worse than smoking. I know many parents who smoke and are excellent parents. They also don't smoke around their kids.

I am a social smoker and I always ask the person I am with or the people I am around if they mind I smoke, if they do I don't. It's not that hard. I have never had an addiction to smoking. I can take it or leave it. I mostly smoke when I drink which I barely do anymore so I hardly smoke. A pack of cigs last me a week sometimes more.

To say parents should be considered unfit because they smoke is a huge stretch there. There are plenty of awesome parents who smoke. My mom smoked when I was a child and she quit sometime when I was in middle school. I am not an alcoholic or druggie and I don't have addiction problems like that article states I would. It's completely insane to think that way.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
If there is any reason to take a child from its parents id have to say religion.

Stop the lunacy before they brainwash these poor kids minds with the filth and hate in these books. Religion will kill more children than second hand smoke will.

Brainwashing children into believing a warped fantasy world is morally wrong and i would call it child abuse. Its harmful to their minds, it will effect them for the rest of their lives....a bit of second hand smoke is nothing compared to the damage of religion.

But im not here to tell you how to raise your kids...thats my oppinion to which im entitled.

edit on 21-2-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by joechip
Threads like this disgust me, as they show, in brilliant color, how little people these days respect the notions of personal privacy, family autonomy, and essential liberty.

They sure do! Fortunately, they also shine a light on how many people reject the notion of governmental interference into people's personal and private lives.
As an ex-smoker, I am proud that I do not criticize smokers or take the position that everyone should quit now that I have. I really, REALLY don't like that attitude.

Originally posted by TheRedneck
Hands off my smokes, and definitely hands off my kids!

TheRedneck

Basically, mind your own business, right?
I mean...
My kids are MY kids.
My habits are MY habits.
My life is MY life.

I REALLY don't know what the draw is for people to get into others' lives and try to 'fix them up'. WTH??? Sometimes, I just want to yell, "Get out of my life"!!! (And sometimes, I do.
)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Go sit in your car in your closed garage with the windows rolled up and chain smoke for 2 hours.

Now go sit in in your car in your closed garage with your car running. If you don't come back and report, we'll know why.

As long as there are vehicles that burn oil on the road polluting the air, this is not an argument. If you're going to whine about smokers polluting your air, you have to include oil-burning vehicles and machines. One car pollutes the air with deadly poisons in a single day more than 1 smoker will in a year. Cancer rates are up because we drive bigger vehicles that use more gas, more factories polluting today than 50 years ago, more fast food being consumed, more 'frankenfoods' being produced and eaten, people stopped telling their kids to go outside and play and instead, allow them to sit inside and fondle their gadgets and video games for hours on end and then ordering them a pizza and a Coke. I have 6-year-old twins and they have a classmate that lives next door that comes over to play and brings his brand-new PSP with his 20+ games. He's 6 and is 3x the size of my kids. Why aren't his parents condemned? I send mine out to play every day when weather permits. I never see this kid outside. Ever.

I did smoke for 25 years and quit because I know it's not healthy. But I'm not stupid and I will never become an an anti-smoking zealot because I would be a hypocrite. I drive a car and I burn wood in my fireplace in the winter and use my central-air conditioner in the summer. I cook on a gas grill in the summer on my patio and I love candles. I do all of these things with small children around.

You can be a non-smoker and still have horrible air quality inside your home if you keep your windows and doors closed all the time and run your central air, especially if you cook with gas, use Teflon-coated pans to cook in, have pets, burn candles or incense, spray air-fresheners, use those stupid plug-in smelly things, burn a fire in your wood stove or fire place, clean with chemical cleaners...etcetera.

If you're going to attack smoking, you better attack everything that isn't good for you because most things we do today are doing much more damage than smoking ever will.

Smoking isn't healthy. No smoker will debate that. But unless you're living in an organic bubble, you're a hypocrite if you chastise a smoker for their addiction. We're all addicted to something, whether it be smoking, drinking coffee, diet soda, chocolate, fast food, driving our cars, having the latest gadget taped to our faces or whatever it is we can't go a day without. Unless you do all those things away from your children, then maybe you should be labeled unfit.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
This post by "TiredofControlfreaks" is brilliant and can be found in this Thread
ATS Thread

I wish people would actually read studies and seek to understand before they jump all over these types of scare headlines!

Here is link to another press release of the same study

www.orlandosentinel.com...

Notice what is said - the scientists ADDED Phenanthrene to the cigarette smoke. It WASN't there in the first place.

Further, the study notes that the carcinogenic PAHs are in ALL smoke - like when you cook your food, when you light a barbeque, when you burn a candle, when you burn wood in a fireplace or in the car emissions when you burn fuel to run the car!

In short PAHs are ubiquitous to the environment! The dosage of PAHs in cigarette smoke is so low that it is measured in picograms (parts per trillion). Smokers are not exposed to PAHs anymore than anyone else Folks

And as for worried about DNA mutations - just remember that the human race - since time began has burned organics for heat and to cook food. Our entire race evolved in the presence of smoke! Our respiratory systems are designed to filter out particulate - including PAHs. The average molecule size of smoke is too large to be inhaled too deeply into our lungs.

And here comes the kicker - mucous in our lungs traps chemicals and particulate so that it can be easily coughed out. Smokers contantly irritate the lungs causing more mucous to be produced and protecting smoking from chemicals and particulate like PAHs from actually entering our lungs and causing these genetic mutations.

The basis for my opinion is this - since about the 1960s - when the smoking rate in our population started decreasing and we began heating our homes with cleaner sources of energy like electricity and natural gas - the asthma rate has increased by about 800 %. Scientists are unable to account for this enormous increase in asthma and allergies in children and talk about an almost evolutionary shift being the cause. However, study after study shows that children in households where the parents smoke have less asthma and less allergies.

So for all you non-smokers - you just keep puffing away on your asthma puffers (at $100 per month) and carrying your epi-pens all provided to you courtesy of Big Pharma (who funded this garbage study BTW) and I will keep getting the pleasure and benefits that smoking a natural healing herb provides. Smoking has been part of the human culture for hundreds of years and I notice that the human population is now about 7 billion.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
well if the kids of smokers were to be taken away then shouldn't all kids be put in to care, after all, all adults are truly bad role models.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
My sister divorced her husband over this issue. He was already an abusive person, but the final straw came when her pediatrician told them both that his smoking had to stop around their little girl. She had an allergy to the smoke that was causing multiple admissions into the hospital for bronchitis. He simply didn't care and refused to step outside and smoke. A month later he was kicked out.

I don't know that parents should lose their kids off the bat over smoking. I think that a lot of education is needed for parents through their doctor, clinic, school, etc. I too grew up in a house of smokers and remember riding around in the car with the windows up during winter with my dad smoking. Back then everyone smoked around their babies and children and thought nothing of it.

With everything we know now, I tend to think that parents who refuse to stop smoking around their kids should b labeled as abusive. JMHO though. We have come far and know much. Our kids need the best because as it is they are growing up in a world of chemicals at every turn.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
People like defending the official point of view on smoking. I would like to refer these people to my thread: Joe Jackson on Smoking. British singer Joe Jackson spent a few years studying the studies... It's quite an eye opener.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

We have the freedom to eat poison if we want to, or jump off the tallest bridge... but that doesn't mean it's right. I'm not a judgemental person but I think that people who bring children into this world and insist on engaging in dangerous habits should not have kids to begin with because these kids we bring into the world need their parents. I'm sure I'll get flamed for that but... that's okay.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I smoke. But, my child will never suffer effect from second hand smoke.

Why? Because I'm a responsible parent. One of those mythical things that apparently you don't believe exist.

A responsible smoker? There's no such thing .... right?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

Yes, it's our choice to smoke. But, your kid doesn't have a choice of whether or not he rides in a car while you fire up a cig.

Be responsible.

While I don't agree with the OP lumping every parent who smokes into one category or "People who should have their kids taken away" ... I do agree that you should harm ONLY YOURSELF with your choice to smoke.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by tyranny22
I smoke. But, my child will never suffer effect from second hand smoke.

Why? Because I'm a responsible parent. One of those mythical things that apparently you don't believe exist.

A responsible smoker? There's no such thing .... right?

Agreed, as long as the children don't suffer from it, smoking is ok. My parents used to smoke, but never ever inside the house, or near me. I don't smoke.
I think they were/are great parents, and that is just harsh bullcrap to say they would be unfit to be parents.

It's funny how some people here try to expose the evil in government control.. etc but others want to give more control to the government (take kids away from smoking parents).

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join