It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents who smoke should be found unfit to be parents...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
COME ON
,,, Leave The Smokers Alone, I smoked for over 50 years and the 40+ years was over two packs a day. Starter on Chesterfields and moved to Marlboro Reds.
I must admit, I really liked smoking, I was never sick, I never got the flu, actually I felt better than I do now.
That is the Truth.
All my Kidd's from my first marriage grew up in a house with smokers and the store and hospitals and Liberia's and just every where there was smokers.
My Kidd's are all healthy and only one smokes now.
I really believe this is All B. S. I'll tell you why, My friends that believed and lived the healthy life style to including health foods and safe sex, Their all dead now, the last, he died at 65 years of age, YUP, cancer of the Colan. All my smoker friends and the ones who quit like me, Still Alive!

Now, I only quit because, my wife ( The Crazy Chinese Lady ) asked me too,,, I wake up one day and didn't want a cigg with my coffee and just didn't smoke all day after that.
I gave the 6 cartoons of Marlboro's to a friend of mine.

Smokers are my friends and they've out lived just about every one that as never smoked.
Prime example, My Mother Never Smoked, Her parents Chewed Tobacco, Mother died of Cancer and a failed Liver, No She Never Drank Either, she was a firm believer in God and Christ and the Rapture and Sunday School and the Holy Spirit.

Edited to add: Did I mention, I really Liked Smoking?
Did I mentioned I Like Smokers?

Did I mention I don't CARE What You Do In Your Own HOME?

Did I mention,,, Please Don't Abuse Your Children in Any Way, Shape Or Form, If Smoking is Hurting Your Young One, Quit or Smoke Out Side, Like So Many Of The GREAT Parents in this thread do

edit on 20-2-2011 by guohua because: (no reason given)

link   
The title of this thread is beyond ridiculous. How you received 5 flags or any stars is beyond me. Because someone smokes they are unfit to be parents? Seriously? It doesn't get any more ignorant than that.

link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Amen!

Well spoken! It was a different world then. Every truck in the parking lot of my high school had a gun rack with guns hanging in it... we didn't think about shooting each other... you fisted it out and then went and had a cig!

link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

The same might could be said of your parents judging from your percieved superiority on this subject and your thread title.
One could wonder what happened to your common sense to call out folks just because you no longer partake in such criminal, abusive, behavior.

Now the above should not have been said... so why call into question another poster's intelligence because you disagree?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

What is alarming is the number of people here who are disputing the studies mentioned in the OP not because of empirical data, but because it causes an emotional reaction within themselves.

no ones disputing the facts, they are disputing that it makes them a bad parent or any different to the many hypocrit's who expose other people to the same types of harm, regardless of if it is pollution or food etc.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

+1 for flaming troll headline goodness. is the view good, way up there on your high horse?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I'd be more concerned about two fat people having kids. Far, far too many fat, lazy, eating crap all day, horrible excuse for human beings decide to have a baby. They end up passing on their self inflicted, slower than a snale metabolism, onto an innocent child, and shove fastfood down their mouths because they're too damn lazy to buy a piece of fruit. A smoker can step outside. I see obese parents taking their kids to burger king every day, so they can get their fix. Just like a drug addict.

If you're considerably overweight, you have no business procreating. If you're too lazy to cook a healthy meal, you have no business having kids.

Why doesn't the op post a pic of his midsection so we can all see how healthy he is, before going after smokers.
edit on 20-2-2011 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

I'm calling you out OP! Prove to all of us how healthy you are, and how much you exercise. Or are you a lazy, overweight #, who sits on his butt all day finding someone else to criticize?
edit on 20-2-2011 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Why don't you startb a thread about what harmfull chemicals have been added to tobacco and how the Government bans the growing or supplying of the untainted stuff that is far less harmfull??

That's where the true story is..
Money from tax then more money to Big Phama thanks to the deadly additives the Government ALLOWS to be put in our tabacco..

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

I like you're post and agree with much of it, but the truth is that the happy meals of the past are not the ones we have now. In fact, the only foodstuffs I rail against are actually made in a lab (and is a culprit of increased cancer rates). In all other aspects, you have great observations. Everyone is in everyone's business and the government has no qualms with encroaching further. While I don't think kids should eat fast food considering the terrible ingredients, I would be ashamed to promote legislation or cultural rules dictating others behavior.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

Funny.

You join the OP in discussing who should or shouldn't have children.

What is wrong with you people? I could go on and on about how its none of your damn business, but I have to ask, WHAT makes you THINK it is your business?

I am really curious...why do you think people's habits, health, children, or any of it is any of your business?

edit on 21-2-2011 by joechip because: spelling

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by CordDragonzord

Well for one there are a lot more chemicals in ciggerets among other things. [snip]
edit on 25/2/11 by masqua because: Removed off topic comment

link   
These facts as you put it cant really be backed up...can they?
Surely my grandparents should be riddled with cancer from their years of smoking? Surely i should be a crack addict, commiting crime to feed my crack addiction? Most of my family smokes...dont know why we just do
We are all healthy. I never get a cold or the flu. I was around a friend 1 day before he was diagnosed with swine flu...his family got it...i didnt

Some people will get cancer....some wont. I dont think its got anything to do with smoking to be honest.

link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by FPB214

I agree with you, because im 19 and have lived with my mother smoking for years. It's gotten to the point where I bi*** at her to not do it in the house. I mean, how hard is it to go outside? Although she does go outside somewhat, she still smokes in the house quite a bit. Her excuse, like last week, was "My parents smoked in the house the whole time I was growing up, and look were still here." My grandparents are pretty healthy, and my mom is 47. She's been smoking since she was younger than me.

If you don't like it then maybe it's time to leave home..
Then when you're paying the rent and bills YOU can say it's a non smoking house...

Well I have a job and give my mother money. As for moving out, wish I could. Fact is I landed a job after looking for months, where I live jobs are probably a little more scarce than in some areas. Im still in school and have been making up 10 credits in the last year, and glad to say I will be done in March and have my diploma before the next class graduates. I thought at the time I was going to be stuck getting my GED. I've been longing to join the Army Rangers since I was 6 and plan to do so this year. My mother loves me, and knows my situation. She does not mind if I live with here a few more months until I get everything together, and get a real job supporting myself.

I love my mother to death and we have conversations about everything. We talk about smoking, she's a very strong woman and has what it takes to quit, I think with her situation right now though she has that fear. Although she knows she'd save alot of money as well as be healthier. I would love for my mother to live until shes around her parents age (80), and I know if she continues on the path right now she is more at risk.

Not saying we dont encounter deadly things everyday in life, but just from the research and love for my mother i'd like to see her without cigarettes and happier.
edit on 20-2-2011 by FPB214 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Why don't you startb a thread about what harmfull chemicals have been added to tobacco and how the Government bans the growing or supplying of the untainted stuff that is far less harmfull??

That's where the true story is..
Money from tax then more money to Big Phama thanks to the deadly additives the Government ALLOWS to be put in our tabacco..

Thats what I pointed out in my post, but because I added that I am an ex smoker.. what I say isnt worth reading.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Allowed? Try required.

I have rolled my own smokes for a few years now, and a while back I ran out of tobacco on a Sunday. So I went and ponied up the cash for a pack of Marlboros to get me to Monday morning. All cigarettes now are 'fireproof', meaning the papers have little strips of glue every so far apart to make the thing go out if you stop puffing on it.

I was smoking GLUE mandated by the government!

I keep an extra bag of tobacco now... and this year I start growing my own. I figure if switching to actual tobacco instead of pre-rolled smokes made such a huge difference in how I felt (as well as how much I smoked), then switching to home-grown, home-cured will be even better.

Plus I won't be paying taxes to people who want to use them to tell me I can't smoke.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by FPB214

You sound like a good kid..
But Bi**** at your mother as you put it, doesn't help..
Talking nice would do better but if she still wants to smoke in her own house then that's really her choice not yours..
Passive smoking is bad if you're in a busy bar with 10 smokers around you, not in a whole house with just one smoker..
The smoke doesn't even stay in the air that long and the smell will not kill you..
Simply leave the room when she smokes..

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Growing our own is illegal in Australia..
There was a good black market in what they called chop/chop..
Under the counter at some local markets..
Much cheaper and chemical free but the police soon put a stop to that..

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysticPearl
I'm calling you out OP! Prove to all of us how healthy you are, and how much you exercise. Or are you a lazy, overweight #, who sits on his butt all day finding someone else to criticize?

I never said I was healthy. My lungs are shot between the second hand smoke I inhaled as a kid from my two pack a day parent, plus an older sister with a similar habit, and the 26 years of smoking I did myself. Although my sense of smell and taste have improved, I am still very susceptible to nasal, lung and brochial infections. I cannot remember a time before the age of ten when I did not have some type of respiratory infection, due to the damage being done to my lungs by the smoke filled environment I was in.

What inspired me to write this thread was that I saw a pregnant woman today who was pushing a two year old in a stroller with a cigarette in her hand that was less than a foot away from the toddlers head. So go ahead... Someone justify this to me as the sign of a good parent... Good Luck on that, by the way... It can't be done...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
As expected, the addicts have come here to defend their addiction... I used to do the same... It is just pathetic to put your 'right' to pollute the air that others are breathing so that you can get your 'fix'... and if you don't think it's and addiction, you are just fooling yourself and are the good little monkey that the Cigarette Companies want you to be...

Well, you know what they say; there's nothing worse than a reformed smoker and you even puffed away during your daughter's childhood. Tsk, Tsk!

That anti-tobacco cartel is really on a roll! I think smokers are the skapegoat for absolutely everything in today's society. If you catch a cold, it's caused by smoke. If you smoked 25 years ago and die of liver cancer; it's caused by past smoking. If you stubb your toe; it's caused by smoking!

If second hand smoke causes cancer, I'd surely have been dead long ago. Both my parents smoked like freight trains with the car windows rolled up! No asthma here! There have been deaths in my family, but no lung cancer and no asthma. It's a real shame that the people I've loved never took even one puff off a cigarette and died from different forms of cancer, but no lung cancer. But, of course, smoking is the blame for all! There's not a shred of evidence that passive smoking causes any form of cancer! This is junk science pushed by anti-smoking pressure groups and it's a shame, because science needs to fing a cure for cancer and not blame every disease on smoking.

Now scientists that have found no link to smoking are too frightened to speak out, because of powerful groups.

Millions of dollars have been spent promoting belief in SHS(Second Hand Smoke) as a killer, and more millions of dollars have been spent by businesses in order to comply with thousands of highly restrictive bans, while personal choice and freedom have been denied to millions of smokers. Finally, and perhaps most tragically, all this has diverted resources away from discovering the true cause(s) of lung cancer in nonsmokers.
www.heartland.org...

Yet the scientists have found that there was no statistical evidence that passive smoking caused lung cancer. The research compared 650 lung cancer patients with 1,542 healthy people. It looked at people who were married to smokers, worked with smokers, both worked and were married to smokers, and those who grew up with smokers.

cleanairquality.blogspot.com...

Professor Philippe Evan, a World-renowned pulmonologist and former president of the prestigious Research Institute Necker, pointed out that 40% of studies carried out on passive smoking found no link between passive smoking and smoking diseases while another 60% found only negligible links.

The sole reason the link between passive smoking and cigarettes had been promoted, he explained, was to give the anti-smoking lobby a new tool with which to fight smoking.

But legislation, he argued, should not be passed on the basis of a lie.
www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk...

As far as asthma, I am an observer of the spiritual causes of disease. Every child I've ever known to have asthma has always had the most domineering parent. It's called 'Smothers' love and I know I'll be flamed for this, but dis-ease doesn't come out of thin air or smokey air for that matter. I've seen it time and time again. I'm tired of anti-tobacco cartels and their junk science blaming every malady and disease on smokers. I'm all for finding a cure for all types of cancer and tobacco shouldn't be the sole cause.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

My condolences. Thankfully it is still legal here for personal use... just don't try to sell it.

I'll be saving seeds year to year, so the only way anyone can make it so I can't smoke is to tell me I can't grow it on my land. Let's hope that day never comes, but if it does... well, we'll just have to see how much redneck is left in this old shell...

TheRedneck

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join