Parents who smoke should be found unfit to be parents...

page: 37
<< 34  35  36    38  39 >>

join

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ScorpioRising
reply to post by ChiefHuntingBear

Tobacco in itself isn't that dangerous. It's the chemicals mixed with it that are. So calling tobacco a 'dangerous drug' is inaccurate. Unless you mean commercial tobacco that is mixed with all sorts of nasties?

That's a very good point star for you

I now smoke baccy i buy at the market,no added chems,i don't cough near as much or cough up black crap in the mornings,funnily enough my wife can't smoke em because it sets off her asthma,but store bought ciggy's don't ,is their a chem in store ciggy's that suppress asthma? the mind boggles,
I get 500 smokes for $70 from the market,500 smokes from the supermarket would cost me about $270,yes smoke are expensive in Oz,

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

Come on, Dooby Doll, you're only six months older than me and by the time we were born in 1958 there was significant evidence that smoking cigarettes caused cancer. Yes, doctors were more interested in being paid for endorsements than in safeguarding the public's health and still are because they're the most evil segment of society pushing pharmaceutical drugs that the most basic research reveals are ineffective and harmful. Think about what physicians do to sacrificial populations, not just during the second world war, like at Block 10 and Unit 731, but now in the United States Of America to the indigenous Terrapin tribespeople and what that says about their character. In 1970, when you and I were twelve years old, word must have gotten to the UK that Richard Nixon banned commercials for cigarettes on American television with the "Public Health Cigarette Smoking Act". When I was in seventh grade in "Indian School" at Fort Hood Army Base outside Killeen, Texas cigs were twenty-five cents a pack sold in a vending machine but none of us smoked because we knew they were poisonous.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Travlla

I don't mind answering your questions. I have never driven much and not at all since July 10th, 1996 when a fashion model named Yan Zhang, who turned out to be a CiA agent, stole my 1987 Sterling, in what Americans call Santa Cruz, California. I was riding a 1989 chromoly Miyata road bike with custom steel-rimmed wheels until a Chicago Police Officer named Richard Sharp who lives at 744 N. Willard Street drove his Mercedes suv onto the sidewalk and ran over it and me in front of the building where I live at 111 W. Maple Street at 5:30pm on June 19th, 2008 and after that a new carbon fiber road bike until, with Richard Sharp's help, a stalker named Earl Jackson, of the architectural firm Owings, Merrill & Skidmore, broke it and my back in six places by lifting my rear wheel, a Zipp 404 clincher, while my left cleat was locked into a SpeedPlay pedal. I am very interested in the Nissan ESFLOW electric Z-car that is powered by a Li-On with a 150-mile range but I don't have a garage where I could charge the battery and there aren't businesses that provide this service here yet. I am going to buy a much more energy-efficient laptop computer later this year with OCZ solid state drives that operate on 2 watts of power each. I live in a six hundred fifty square foot condominium that I heat with a small Vornado heater that I am going to replace next year with an infrared PureEden that is even more energy-efficient and doesn't remove moisture from the air. I have read about a paper battery perfected by the Center For Materials Research that is much more energy-dense than a standard Li-On and quickly recharges in air that has 40% humidity. And if I can find an honest attorney to protect my money from confiscation by the criminally-occupying American government I will sell several logos to corporations and build a poured-concrete and stainless steel house, with energy-efficient windows, mainly powered by solar panels and horizontal windmills, in Bear's Den, on the Pacific Coast Highway, where the typical high temperature in the summer is in the low 70s, it almost never freezes in the winter, and I can live with my own indigenous Terrapin tribespeople who, like me, don't allow smoking.

edit on 25-2-2011 by ChiefHuntingBear because: typographical error

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

So how am I and other smokers still alive then? That's my point. If smoking tobacco is so poisonous to us, how come we are not all dead from it?

And if 2nd hand tobacco smoke is so harmful, shouldn't all us humans be extinct by now?

It isn't as terrible as we are told, it's BS. Myself and others who smoke are still alive and smoking - living proof it is all BS.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ScorpioRising

Nicotine is one of the deadly chemicals in tobacco that you can isolate to just poison yourself without exposing other people to smoke.

edit on 25-2-2011 by ChiefHuntingBear because: typographical error

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

People from each of the seven remaining human species including the yellow-skinned Asians, the Koori aborigines of Australia, the Arabs of which the Persians are the most pure, the Neanderthal Europeans, the Black sub-Saharan Africans, the indigenous tribespeople of Terrapin Island and the yellow and orange-haired albino Egyptians that have overrun most of the world used to live for several centuries. I'm going to assume that you are a Protestant and have read in the Old Testament that your women used to wait at least a hundred years before having a child. Today my people typically die at 42 years of age. The main reason I began posting on this thread is because for the past month, while it's been extremely cold, two FBi agents who are paid to live next door to me named Melissa and Drew have not been going out onto their terrace for cigarettes and their smoke has been coming into my condominium through the hvac choking me like I have an upper respiratory infection. I am very sick from second-hand smoke.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChiefHuntingBear
Nicotine is one of the deadly chemicals in tobacco that you can isolate to just poison yourself without exposing other people to smoke.

Pretend you see a big face-palm smiley here.

Let's put that into context, shall we? Nicotine is deadly in its pure form. True. An overdose will make you light-headed and nauseous and cause your heart to race, among other things. It's a stimulant. Just like caffeine, which is also a deadly poison if you consume too much.

Drink too much alcohol and you'll get sick or even die.

Same with water, if you drink too much of it. Everything in moderation, so let's try and keep it real, k?

I do not smoke but I still use nicotine in a liquid form and it suits me fine. I also enjoy coffee in the morning and a few beers on a Friday night.
edit on 25-2-2011 by CoherentlyConfused because: *&^*& # typo

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

People from each of the seven remaining human species including the yellow-skinned Asians, the Koori aborigines of Australia, the Arabs of which the Persians are the most pure, the Neanderthal Europeans, the Black sub-Saharan Africans, the indigenous tribespeople of Terrapin Island and the yellow and orange-haired albino Egyptians that have overrun most of the world used to live for several centuries. I'm going to assume that you are a Protestant and have read in the Old Testament that your women used to wait at least a hundred years before having a child. Today my people typically die at 42 years of age. The main reason I began posting on this thread is because for the past month, while it's been extremely cold, two FBi agents who are paid to live next door to me named Melissa and Drew have not been going out onto their terrace for cigarettes and their smoke has been coming into my condominium through the hvac choking me like I have an upper respiratory infection. I am very sick from second-hand smoke.

I am sorry you are very sick, and I truly hope that you will be well soon - sincerely.

I don't understand why you keep posting where you and other people originally come from in your replies.
And I also do not understand why you assume I am a protestant.

Your people typically die so young when they never have smoked anything? Maybe if they tried smoking they might have a longer life expectancy?

Anyways, I hope you get well soon

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

It's much better that you poison yourself with nicotine in liquid form than from inhaling the smoke in cigs so that you won't get other people sick.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

I am certain that various new world order doomsday cults want people to smoke to reduce the number of humans on this planet to about five hundred million.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoherentlyConfused

Pretend you see a big face-palm smiley here.

Let's put that into context, shall we? Nicotine is deadly in its pure form. True. An overdose will make you light-headed and nauseous and cause your heart to race, among other things. It's a stimulant. Just like caffeine, which is also a deadly poison if you consume too much.

Drink too much alcohol and you'll get sick or even die.

Same with water, if you drink too much of it. Everything in moderation, so let's try and keep it real, k?

I do not smoke but I still use nicotine in a liquid form and it suits me fine. I also enjoy coffee in the morning and a few beers on a Friday night.
edit on 25-2-2011 by CoherentlyConfused because: *&^*& # typo

Exactly. Moderation in all things. You are more likely to kill yourself or others through too much alcohol for instance. More people die each year from alcohol misuse than tobacco use.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
There's so much going on in the world,huge scary freaky things and verry exciting liberating things. However this post has really irritated me, and I feel I must speak for the first time in the ATS forum...cane me if needed but I am passionate about this topic as a matter of personal freedom.

I'm sick of people trying to tell me what I can and can't do,whats right or wrong, and thinking they have the right to sit in judgment of others free will and life choices.

Respect is mutual, if you give it you get it back, its universal law.

Firstly smoking has been around according to Wikipedia for 5000 years BC, much longer than the nanny police who wish to impose their high morals and judgment on others in todays so called free society.

My son is 20 years old and really dislikes smoking, really really dislikes smoking!
However he would never say I am a bad parent because I smoke / or smoked cigarettes while he was growing up !!
Did he come in contact with smoke ? Yes some times.

Does he live in Sydney and breath in the fuel and pollution everyday,,,yes ge does. We have spent quite a lot of time in China and one can;t even see the sky for pollution....cough cough ......and Im sure many cities in the world are the same. Lets go fill up our cars with petrol and drive our kids around, no worries ...it's better than smoking.

My son might say I've been a bad parent for working too hard, missing a school carnival, not baking cookies for the school fete, but not because I smoke cigarettes ! He has love, guidance, education, family and support when ever he needs it, Smoking has nothing to go with being a good parent to a childs inner self.

My husband and I have raised our son as smokers and he doesnt smoke or drink alcohol or desire too.....must be bad parenting.

Australia has some of the harshest anti-smoking laws in the world.
In rhe majority of our states we can't even see cigarettes as they must be hidden from view, blacked out by cupboards.

Smoking is prohibited from most social areas, such as train stations, resturants, clubs, pubs, workplaces, unless there are specified smoking areas.

Smoking in cars with children was first banned in 2007 when it became law in South Australia and has since pretty much been implemeted country wide since then.

en.wikipedia.org...
Would the OP pefer to ban smoking which is legal in the name of good parenting?

In 2007/2208 cigarette taxes was worth about 5.6 Billion to the Aus economy in government taxes, I cant even imagine what it was worth to the American side, so much tax into your economy. Hospitals, Roads, Infastructure...etc......from those filthy smokers.

If smoking becomes Illegal, it will become blackmarket, just like drugs.
Cigarette smokers can then become criminals as well as bad parents, and maybe they should go to jail with all the thiefs, rapists, child molesters, drug dealers and so forth.

Must be great to be a perfect parent...hope you don't let your kids drink Coca Cola, eat McDonalds, use toothpaste, drink bottled water, eat food with preservatives.......its all bad for us apparently.

I am respectful of non smokers. I don;t smoke near other people when Im out in public, i don;t throw or litter my butts. Respect should be given for my right to smoke if I wish, as long as I don't harm others with my addiction.
If im not in your face...please don;t get in mine.
Believe me the Billions in taxes the goverment gets from Tobacco will pay for my medical if needed, but I work hard and pay my way in life...so I can die how I want and pay the price.

Peace.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I am certain that various new world order doomsday cults want people to smoke to reduce the number of humans on this planet to about five hundred million.

Look, we get it. You don't like cigarettes. good for you. But you're barking up the wrong tree if you think anyone here is going to buy your arguments. They don't hold water. As I see it you have 2 choices; step up your game to where you are on the same level as everyone else here, or go preach your message to 3rd graders. They'll oooh and aaah all the way home. That's the only group of people you're going to impress.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Here we go again. What is it with smokers being so demonised lately? And it's always the same scare tactic: "The children! Won't you please, God, think of the children!?"

You are judging people for one choice they make, despite the fact that they may be good parents, people like the original poster like to deny them of their rights. I'm not trying to be rude here, the OP is literally saying "smokers should have no right to be parents" is extreme and pretty totalitarian.
But hey, that's okay because "it's for the greater good" and "people will be more healthy". Well, whilst we're at it let's stop people from driving because those fumes can't be good and alcohol seems to cause a lot of deaths per year. Okay, so whilst we're at it let's deny parents the rights to consume alcohol and also ownership of a motor vehicle.

I agree that parents definitely should not smoke whilst they are pregnant, but denying them parenthood for smoking?? I know loads of good parents who smoke. My mother smokes and gave up both times she was pregnant.

So basically, what I'm trying to say is, you're coming on far too strong. Yes, parents who should give up during pregnancy and smoke away from their children, but it would be impractical to enforce this as a law and downright cruel to break a family apart for it.
edit on 25/2/11 by The Empty Skies because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

wow personally if i was you i would take up smoking because i think that the air your breathing is making you delusional.
If you actually believe that it is strictly second hand smoke that has made you ill i would really go out and get a second opinion.
I almost think you might be hyper sensitive to second hand smoke...i myself am allergic to many types of perfume....and just getting onto public transport can make me quite ill...i am also alergic to what is in many detergents....so i think maybe shops should ban detergent and perfume sections because i, one person has issues with it.
I also do not smoke....but please chief...i think you might try to get off that high horse your on and try riding a pony and then you might be able to see that your one person...and plus it sounds like you are so ill you might not be with us for much longer....so If i was you i would really just try to start living life to your fullest.
I sure hope you live a decent life....but if your body has had that much issue with second hand smoke i think you should have done something to remove yourself from the situation and not expect others to...I dont go down the detergent aisle and i stay away from perfume filled places...those are choices i make to improve my quality of life.
now yes children don't have the choice in many circumstances...and that is where responsible parents come into play....and a great many responsible parents are smokers and they do their best not to smoke around their kids....but by the same token as i have stated...back before this get the smoker craze ...and i have a good test base...because there were 9 kids in my the family where ALL the children were exposed to heavy doses of second hand smoke....NONE of us have respiratory problems....i am 48 and the oldest is 68 .....we are all still going strong.....so why not go and try to find out what really was the cause of your issues....because the facts don't add up.
Also like before stated.....i don't and never have smoked....my choice...not my parents.
edit on 022828p://f28Friday by plube because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Tell you what jaxxon if you want to raise my seven kids be my guest....bad they are all doing well thank you very much.....i don't smoke....but guess what...some of them do......do i love them any less......guess what....not one little bit.....could someone else love them as much as i do....most likely not.
but i have a serious addiction to coffee so maybe one day the coffee police will come and try to remove them from my home.....
Sorry Jaxxon.....just because you think it is a good idea...i sure hope you never get into a place of power....because i for one would be the first person in line to start a rebelion against your amoral thinking.
If you think because someone has an addiction it makes them less responsible....everyone on here would have their kids taken away...the internet has been proven harmful to kids by parents addiction to it and neglecting their children....just look it up

My wife and I have an internet addiction. she won't restrain but I will. HELP!?
We have a laptop upstairs in our family room. I want to move it downstairs because I think if it's not easily accessible then we will be less likely to use it. We have kids that are neglected because of our lack of self control using the internet. She "facebooks" for several hours, I'll use yahoo answers until my 5 questions and 20 answers are up; both are very time consuming...

What's the best way to get over an internet addiction??? Stopping cold turkey???

source

Kim Yoo-chul, 41 and Choi Mi-sun, 25, returned to their home in Suwon, a suburb of Seoul South Korea, on Sept. 24, 2009 to find their 3-month-old baby daughter dead. The couple had left the infant alone while they spent several hours in an Internet café playing the video game Prius Online. An autopsy revealed that the baby who was born prematurely was severely malnourished. She had starved to death.

The unemployed couple spent as much as 12 hours a day at an Internet café playing Prius Online. Up until two weeks before her death, the baby had been looked after Kim’s parents. Then Kim’s mother had taken ill and returned the baby to the couple. Kim’s parents had originally taken the infant in because Kim and Choi found it difficult to care for their premature baby.

source

There is so much more out there on this.....so next thing you will see is that when your internet use is to high they will come and take peoples children yet again.

maybe chief is right this will be yet another way to take away people (children) to get the population down to 500mil....

I think people need a reality check.....

as i have said i have a great test base for a family.....9 kids.....i am the youngest.....mom was a heavy smoker...always smoked around us...even as babies and throughout pregnancy....all normal births ...all healthy....dad was a truck driver...exposed to large amounts of diesel toxins....gets lung cancer and dies....but also was a good age before it happened.

the stats are wrong amount the effects of smoking.....Am i saying smoking is a good thing...no....am i saying it is geting a worse rap by TPTB...yes.....the conspiracy is to blame something other than what is really causing the trouble.....Diesel fuel.....no way could you blame the transport system because the economic impact would be to large.

edit on 022828p://f55Friday by plube because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

maybe you have aids and your immune system is just #ed so dont bother us cause your sick all the time go see a doctor and get yourself tested weirdo

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by The Empty Skies

THANK YOU!!!! Someone else who sees the hypocrisy of ANYONE singling out smokers as being worse than ANY other person out there. Whew... sorry about the CAPS, I normally don't do that but I am sick and tired of the polarizing way people view other people these days, the days of political correctness. I am an economics major and one of the fun little things I've picked up learning my profession was the ever expanding idea of relativity.

Fast food is the leading cause of lung cancer in the world IMO, and an article I attached on a previous post explains the issue with inorganic phosphates. Anyway....

So using logic and relativity, it can be said that if you blow smoke in your childs face you are exposing them directly to cancerous chemicals. However, when you feed them that happy meal you are again exposing them directly to cancerous chemicals. Therefore, going off the OP's ideology, if you feed you kids a happy meal you are an unfit parent. The thing is many actually agree with this, look at San Francisico where the happy meal is banned!

Please people try to understand this, it doesn't matter how altruistic your intentions are, how cleanly you live your life or even what you chose for your kids; it is all relative and every parent is at fault for hurting their child, willingly or unwillingly, at some point in time by indulging themselves. Again it doesn't matter what indulgence it is, time, cigarettes, money, alcohol, doesn't matter every parent is guilty at some point.

There is no such thing as innocence, only varying degrees of guilt. Pot, meet kettle.

So everyone here should step back and analyze themselves before pointing their sights at smokers.Or parents in general; if you don't have a kid you should NOT be talking at all, you have no idea.

As Confuscious (sorry for mispell) once said, "Relativity and logic are both logical and relative."

Pro Rege et Populo

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
My parents smoked before and continued smoking after i was born. I learned about some of the effects that it may had (during the pregnancy) on my health at the age of 14 and i think it had some bad effects.
I had decided at a younger age to never become a smoker! I never started the thing. More information on the subject was welcome but not needed. I had made up my mind. I heard about the harmful substances inside cigarettes. There are quite a few and they are indeed harmful. My last understanding was that it is a legal drug. A nasty combination of substances to inhale. (Why on Earth someone would want to inhale them is another issue).
There were times i felt i had been wronged about it. That it was unfair to me.
But to go as far as to judge and say “not fit to be parents” that is too much i think.
There are so many “things” that a parent can/could “be” as a parent, as there are for any person alive. A liar, a racist, an alcoholic, a gambler, a rapist, a killer, a hunter, a cheater, a narcissistic bodybuilder, an egocentric diva, a sadist, an ignorant fundamentalist, an insecure boss, a politician, a secret society ritualist and the list goes on and on. The state of mind and the psychological state are very important.
You know most of the bad effects to your health that smoke can have, but have you got any understanding of the bad effects to your health as a human being that the “quality” of your parents can have?
You see, i believe we are more than the physical body that we have. I believe there are many “qualities” and virtues “inside” us that are invisible to the physical eye. Can you see the pride, laziness or the stinginess? Can you see courage, compassion and honesty in a person? You can only see the actions of a person with these characteristics. Not everything is material in this material world.
“The most important things in Life are invisible to the eye” Antoine de Saint-Exupery.
And that is one of the reasons why we can not easily and correctly judge a person (even though we are not born here to judge anyone). We can’t look into his soul and we don’t have all the criteria to judge (and we don’t know what he is going through). And as most things in this universe are not absolute in their quantitative properties but relative, i don’t consider smoking to be that high on the vices list. Smoking is wrong of course. Personally i wish nobody smoked including my parents. But they did. Each person will be judged individually and each human action will be judged as well. Taking advantage of a fellow human being by telling lies to him i think, as an action, is much worse than smoking (imho).

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I totally agree with you OP. Even if people decide to smoke, do it before you have kids.

top topics

<< 34  35  36    38  39 >>

join