It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents who smoke should be found unfit to be parents...

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by ChiefHuntingBear

C'mon, it ain't rocket surgery.....

Not to get off topic, but what's rocket surgery

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChiefHuntingBear
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

It is someone's damn business if you smoke around your eleven year old daughter. You are not allowed to harm her in any other way either. She has has right not to be poisoned.

Please stop heating your home, driving your car and buying any products. As all of these things will become harmful to my kids and their kids. My gran smoked everyday since she was 14 and died aged 91, if want something to blame for predispoition of cancer try stress from the modern rat race and plastics. Try banning things that cause you vulnerability to cancer not those things that trigger it.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Obviously people feel differently on this....the point i am making...the more people allow the goverment and so called do gooders infiltrate every aspect of our lives the more we lose control of our individuality.
Now the smoking ban has been in place in some places for a good many years so we should be seeing some reduction in cancer results other than medical advancement in treatment.

Now earlier i stated since the fuel shortage of the 1970's and the heavy introduction of diesel fuels the rates have increased....but the easy thing to blame is smoking yet the increase in smokers have not been the same...

Available evidence indicates that there are human health hazards associated with exposure to DE. The hazards include acute exposure-related symptoms, chronic exposurerelated noncancer respiratory effects, and lung cancer. The health hazard conclusions are based on exhaust emissions from diesel engines built prior to the mid-1990s. With current engine use including some new and many more older engines (engines typically stay in service for a long time), the health hazard conclusions, in general, are applicable to engines currently in use. As new and cleaner diesel engines, together with different diesel fuels, replace a substantial number of existing engines, the general applicability of the health hazard conclusions will need to be reevaluated. With new engine and fuel technology expected to produce significantly cleaner engine exhaust by 2007 (e.g., in response to new federal heavy duty engine regulations), significant reductions in public health hazards are expected for those engine uses affected by the regulations.

epa results

now should we say people who drive diesel cars are unfit parents

The elderly and people with emphysema, asthma, and chronic heart and lung disease are especially
sensitive to fine-particle pollution. Numerous studies have linked elevated particle levels in the air to
increased hospital admissions, emergency room visits, asthma attacks and premature deaths among
those suffering from respiratory problems. Because children’s lungs and respiratory systems are still
developing, they are also more susceptible than healthy adults to fine particles. Exposure to fine
particles is associated with increased frequency of childhood illnesses and can also reduce lung
function in children.

notice the children

now this would be just as bad as the OP for what they are stating. RUBBISH

Diesel fuel might cause 125,000 cancer cases

OncoLink Cancer News: Diesel fuel might cause 125,000 cancer cases
Using research on cancer and "elemental carbon concentrations" published recently by the California Air Resources Board, and other sources, the environmentalists said that it was clear that people exposed to diesel fumes were at risk for developing lung cancer and other illnesses like asthma.

Nationwide, over a 70-year lifespan, the groups said that data showed diesel emission could account for some 120,000 cases of cancer in metropolitan areas and another 5,000 in nonmetro regions. Los Angeles and New York alone could see nearly 27,000 excess cancers from diesel particulates.

The oil refining industry, which on Monday announced its opposition to the 15 ppm rule it expects to be issued this spring by EPA, said that it favored a 50 ppm sulfur limit for diesel. The American Petroleum Institute warned that diesel prices would rise some 5 to 6 cents a gallon with just the 50 ppm cap, and that it would cost the industry around $6 billion for the industry to refit plants.

In a letter to EPA Administrator Carol Browner, the oil trade group said that it wants sulfur reductions, but not 15 ppm. "EPA must not issue final regulations that would result in unrealistic standards, excessive costs and great risks of disruptions to the supply of goods and services for our society," the API letter to Browner said.

parents who put their kids on a school bus are unfit parents

My father was a truck driver all his life...never smoked...my mom did....nine kids....4 smoke 5 don't ..all healthy
mom still going strong 89....dad got lung cancer when he was 81.....now question is....diesel or smoking...you tell me.

Now I know it is a small stat but come on....you think my father was exposed more to my moms smoking or more the the diesel from the trucks.....

was my mother an unfit parent....she raised nine kids on my dads truckers income....dad was away from home alot...he was a long haul driver.

I can't believe the ignorance going on in this thread....yes people know smoking is not good for them...and smokers do what they can to not smoke around others....but to be called unfit because you smoke is RUBBISH and downright ignorant.

So i stop smoking in front of my children yet i go out and wave by to them everyday as they get on the diesel run school bus.(by the way i am a non-smoker).

now the thing is how foolish is the OP's statement, completely absurd....just because they may have smoked and are a reformed smoker....stop being self righteous about some achievement...great you smoked...and now you don't....bully for you.....get a life and get on with it....do not condemn others because they choose not to quit.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Smoking really is getting a far worse rap than it needs to. Yes, we all know it's bad for you, but some of us enjoy it.

By me smoking, which none of my 4 children has ever seen me do nor do I ever smoke in the house, I have a hard time believing that is somehow worse than the disgusting pigs I see in most fast food restaurants or the supermarket.

I'd submit that fat unhealthy parents produce more health issues in their children than smokers do because parents make the food the child eats. We've all seen it, grossly overweight parents with overweight children sucking down more trash at Burger King. That is child abuse which, even ignoring the long-term health issues and decreased lifespan, increases isolation for that child and increases ridicule.

We are not allowed to point our scorn at such people, although I do because I don't care what social norms are.

Peace
KJ
edit on 23-2-2011 by KrazyJethro because: Additions

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by spitefulgod

Originally posted by ChiefHuntingBear

It is someone's damn business if you smoke around your eleven year old daughter. You are not allowed to harm her in any other way either. She has has right not to be poisoned.

Please stop heating your home, driving your car and buying any products. As all of these things will become harmful to my kids and their kids. My gran smoked everyday since she was 14 and died aged 91, if want something to blame for predispoition of cancer try stress from the modern rat race and plastics. Try banning things that cause you vulnerability to cancer not those things that trigger it.

Excellent point ! Star for you my friend.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I guess the British study showing no harm from second hand smoke makes no difference? Personally, women/couples on welfare should be declared unfit to be parents.
edit on 23-2-2011 by zappafan1 because: Grammar

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

I agree with all that you say except the polluted air (unless you live in Los Angelos, of course.) The air in America is cleaner than it was before the industrial revolution.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by zappafan1

I agree with all that you say except the polluted air (unless you live in Los Angelos, of course.) The air in America is cleaner than it was before the industrial revolution.

Thank you. And while that is hard to believe, I'll take your word on this one. Maybe America as a whole is cleaner, but there are pockets of major cities that are downright filthy.

I wouldn't doubt that smoking cigarettes in those cities is healthier than breathing the air.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
Not to get off topic, but what's rocket surgery

Just a joke!

An amalgamation of Rocket science and Brain surgery.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
As expected, the addicts have come here to defend their addiction... I used to do the same... It is just pathetic to put your 'right' to pollute the air that others are breathing so that you can get your 'fix'... and if you don't think it's and addiction, you are just fooling yourself and are the good little monkey that the Cigarette Companies want you to be...

Why cant people just mind their own business I mean if you want to smoke then smoke. If you dont smoke good for you but seriously get off your high horse nobody cares. Go ahead talk crap and support the idea of kids being taken away from smokers. . . Vote for more govt control and be the good little monkey the govt wants you to be.

And if you dont like the smell of my smoke then go away. Or try to make me move cause Im not moving just cause you complain.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Smoking maybe not so much but smoking when infant is present, hmm

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Another time I'll tell you about the problems I've been having with Apple computers. Otherwise I would have used the photograph of my beautiful face you can see in my ATS profile as an avatar. My teeth were broken the first time I was hit by a motor vehicle driven by a Chicago Police Officer. You seem very cool from your profile, hating America and all, so I want to make sure you understand I don't have anything against you personally, am glad that so far you are healthy and hope that you will stop smoking for the love of your life that I am very happy you found. I don't know how many cigs you have smoked over the past twelve years but there is typically a two decade latency period from exposure before various forms of lung disease and cancers are diagnosed and evidence that if you stop smoking that even damaged tissues can regenerate. When you exhale smoke it doesn't disappear into the air but is inhaled by others and contaminates everything from furniture to all the creatures in nature. If you want to argue that since the air we breathe is already ruined from automobile exhaust fumes that smoking tobacco is inconsequential I will counter that your premises aren't sound and that if we ride bikes, which I know you are already doing, and drive electric cars that the environment can improve. Remember the air in England makes its way over here. Did you know that the state of California, which my people don't recognize, has sued the country of India for polluting its air from burning garbage? Don't give up. I don't want the people who live around the Gulf Of Terrapin Island to fatalistically start sniffing glue because they are already inhaling noxious fumes being emitted from the billions of gallons of petrochemicals dumped there. We indigenous tribespeople have been unjustly accused of introducing you to tobacco when, in fact, it was the descendants of your cousins the Polynesian boat people, who like you are from Egypt, who invaded the southwest portion of our continent. The so-called natives who sell you "American Spirit" smoking products are criminal occupiers like all the other U.S. citizens of these fifty colonies, including John Lackland Plantagenet's descendant Barrack O'Bomber, who uses this dangerous tobacco drug himself and pushes it on you.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by plube

I just pass on the interesting ones that cross my desk. Some interesting, some ridiculous, some plain nonsense. Much like life-itself!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
How dare anyone say smokers are unfit parents. My father smoked his corn cob pipe ever since I was a kid and he is a way better father then most. And I'm sure most would say that about there parents. He recently quite after 40 years which is great. I myself am a smoker and I would never smoke around kids especially. I hate the way the government over taxes cigs and these stupid new rules about smoking. Soon you won't be able to smoke anywhere and speak easy's of smokers will turn up just like what happened with alcohal and prohibition. The government is trying to control what we consume and put into our bodys when they have no right.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ChiefHuntingBear

I hate America? Didn't realise I did!

Anyhoo, I do plan to give up and yes, I know it's bad for me, but my point is that the premise of the OP is erroneous. I smoke outdoors, always, and never smoke in front of the kids! I am a responsible parent and have raised 3 clever, well-tuned kiddies and the fact I smoke is of little consequence.

But, what I take great offence at like I said is other people forcing their ways on me than is reasonably expected.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentStigma

I have a right to smoke, just as you have a right not to smoke. Now I hate drinking and drunks. Now what if I said drinkers should have there kids taken away from them? Whole nother story now isnt it? Now my opinion is is that drunks should have there kids taken away from them because it far more phycologically damaging and sometimes physically damaging then smoking will ever be. So if you want to play this game, your no better then our nanny government.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

well i do appreciate you passing them on...but i bet King James was a reformed smoker....

Damn i better second line this quickly before i get in trouble.

edit on 012828p://f02Wednesday by plube because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by rbaker20

Don't know if your a U.S. citizen, but you may have a right to smoke for the time being.

This is not off topic it still applies.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by backinblack

Allowed? Try required.

I have rolled my own smokes for a few years now, and a while back I ran out of tobacco on a Sunday. So I went and ponied up the cash for a pack of Marlboros to get me to Monday morning. All cigarettes now are 'fireproof', meaning the papers have little strips of glue every so far apart to make the thing go out if you stop puffing on it.

I was smoking GLUE mandated by the government!

I keep an extra bag of tobacco now... and this year I start growing my own. I figure if switching to actual tobacco instead of pre-rolled smokes made such a huge difference in how I felt (as well as how much I smoked), then switching to home-grown, home-cured will be even better.

Plus I won't be paying taxes to people who want to use them to tell me I can't smoke.

TheRedneck

REPLY: ....... not to mention how many accidents are caused by people dicking around trying to light their cig time after time......

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

I started smoking 15 years ago and still do. It is a disgusting habit and I have begun to remove the nicotine needle from my veins via that e-cigarette. Whether I end up swapping one vice for another is neither here nor there. I have a 3 year old boy and I can honestly say that not one in his life was he subjected to my second-hand smoke. How, you ask? It's an old Jedi secret...I opened the door and stepped outside!!! Now I agree that parents, or any adult for that matter, should not subject children to it. But to make rules, or laws, or statutes punishing people, invading their lives, involving CPS or any other government agency is wrong and a very slippery slope that is almost impossible to climb back from.

new topics

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join