It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents who smoke should be found unfit to be parents...

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

The filthy habit of smoking was brought to this continent that outsiders mistakenly refer to as North America by Polynesian boat people whose ancestry can be traced back to Egypt. The Interior Department Bureau of Indian Affairs can't tell us that Inuits, Polynesians, Jews, Spaniards and Blacks are native to our homeland; And, We indigenous tribespeople of Terrapin Island have never had hookah lounges or a history of smoking anything. But we eat medicinal marijuana you can buy with a prescription from bakeries in California.

edit on 23-2-2011 by ChiefHuntingBear because: typographical error

edit on 23-2-2011 by ChiefHuntingBear because: typographical error

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
As a smoker i am outraged that someone in the government would deem me an unfit parent because i smoke.. I do not smoke around my kids, i do not smoke in the house. taxes on cigarettes are major sources of income for many communities so thanks is in order not condemnation. Our local football arena was built in with a "sin tax" on tobaco and booze. Just sick of all the government intervention lately. Besides, who's going to take advice from a government that has run this country to the brink of collapse? Not me!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rastus3663
reply to post by Kailassa

Never known a death certificate to show cause of death as old age, or smoking for that matter. Skeptical of the Everest thing though; I was always taught that we should't smoke in extreme cold weather as made us more likely to get frostbite; so now I stay beneath the snow line.

Lots of people die peacefully of old age. As old age in itself doesn't necessarily cause death doctors in those cases write "cardiac arrest" on the death certificate. Of course cardiac arrest just means the heart has stopped.
Few smokers die of old age because they don't generally live that long.

When it comes to climbing mount Everest, well, smokers can't make it very far up so they don't tend to die up there. The real danger is the last stretch just below the peak, and you have to be bloody fit to make it that far.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Bottom line is if they aren't your kids they are none of your business. If you really care for the little ones then volunteer to baby sit for them in your smoke-free home. Other than that what can you really do? Have the smoke police taking children away from their parents because a pack of cigarettes was found in a house? What if the teenager (whom you are going out of your way to protect) is the one who acquired the pack of cigarettes, now you will punish the parents for what the teenager brought into the house. Basically it would cause more problems than solve.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
We are all going to die someday, we can't avoid it. We all breathe polluted air, you can't avoid it. Life kills and there isn't a damn thing that you, me or God can do to stop it. Cigarette smoke should be the least of anyone's worries. There are things out there, legal or otherwise, that are much more harmful than cigarettes. I smoke and I have an 11 year old daughter. To insinuate that I am a bad parent because I smoke is idiotic at best and fighting words if I'm having a bad day. Yes, it is harmful to my health and somewhat harmful to hers, but I don't smoke in my house because of her. ( Not that it's any of your damn business )

You can take your Nazi, fear-mongering bull# and try to blow that smoke up someone else's ass, it aint working here.

I usually don't carry on this way. I usually try to conduct myself in a mature, spiritual manner, but I work hard for what I have and I'll be damned if I'm going to sit back and have other people tell me what kind of a person I am simply based on the fact that I smoke cigarettes.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Hmm, lets go through this idiotic post line by line shall we?

Originally posted by ChiefHuntingBear
How can you smoke in Britain without harming others when their taxes are used to pay for your medical treatment?

What medical treatment? Only been to the hospital three times in 10 years. Once I was bottled by a drunk idiot, second time I was hit by a maglock at work and third time I fell down my stairs and broke my arm.

That said, I contribute £3,900 a year in National Insurance and another £6000 a year in income tax. I also pay huge amounts of tax whenever I buy any tobacco. As I said before, the NHS spend on tobacco related illness is far below what HM treasury receives in duty and VAT on tobacco. Go look it up.

And where does the cigarette smoke that you exhale go?

Into the sky, the same place your exhaust fumes go from your car, or the fumes that are produced by coal fired power stations. What's your point?

You're a young man, born in 1982, after the risks from cigarettes were known but you smoke anyway because you consider it to be no worse than breathing in your glorious country which must have air as bad as China.

Hmm, may I suggest you actually get off your arse and look it up instead of making pointless accusations filled with what can only be described as blatant aggression. We actually have some of the cleanest air in the world, except in the big metropolitan area's. What I was pointing out was that 10 minutes in any urban environment where cars and trucks burn and exhale fuel is as bad for your lungs as smoking a single ciggarette.

EDIT to add: Yes, I may be a young man and I never actually smoked until I was 17 as before I played Rugby for the school, county and my local Pro team. I also swam and played football and could get to level 16 on the bleep test at age 14, way above the Royal Marine selection benchmark.

I am still fit and cycle to work every day, spanning some 10 miles. Me smoking is firstly none of your concern and secondly has not affected my health as bad as you may think. I am allowed some vices in life and while some choose to drink (I do not, except rare occasions) I like to have a smoke. Precisely what I do has nothing to do with you at all and quite why you feel you can lecture me on it is a mystery.

If we had dumped billions of gallons of noxious fume emitting petrochemicals in your English Channel, the way you did into our Gulf Of Terrapin Island, would you be using that as an excuse to huff?

We didn't do a thing to "your" Gulf. Please note the following before going off on an anti-British rant based on nothing:

1. BP is owned by many Americans as well as British shareholders.
  2. The firms running the rig were American firms.
  3. The crew on board were American crew.
  4. The US Government let standards slip in regards to offshore drilling.
  5. All the BP management and exec in charge of the operation were Americans.
  6. Obama loved the fact it was BP as he hates the UK anyway and it provided a nice red herring to throw all you silly idiots off who wanted to blame Johnny Foreigner. Seems like it worked
  7. Transocean, the company who owned and ran the rig, were also responsible for a similiar incident in the North Sea some years ago, but our own saftey rules meant the BOP and other precautions were in place to prevent the situation your own procedures failed you on. Bet you didn't know that.

edit on 23/2/11 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
This thread is pure BS, I am a smoker, I smoke in the house, my wife and her mother smoke weed in the house, my 10 year old is top of his class is the most well behaved child I know and an accomplished athlete. I'll tell you who should be classed unfit parents, lazy parent who can't be bothered to cook a proper meal or encorage their child to read and learn rather than shoving them in front of the TV, a parent who can't be bothered to take their child out to view the world... Are you one of these OP.. I think you probably are.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ChiefHuntingBear

so you are saying you are an idiot?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

It is someone's damn business if you smoke around your eleven year old daughter. You are not allowed to harm her in any other way either. She has has right not to be poisoned.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by plube

Sometimes we each have access to stuff others members dont...so, posting quotes that stimulate thoughts...both ways...doesnt have to be mine...or yours. I thought that was understood by the free-thinkers here.

I may quote something by Washington, Hendrix or Hitler...but for others to reflect on. I dont have to support that particular point...just putting it out for others to ponder.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

How can you smoke in Britain without harming others when their taxes are used to pay for your medical treatment?

What medical treatment? Only been to the hospital three times in 10 years. Once I was bottled by a drunk idiot, second time I was hit by a maglock at work and third time I fell down my stairs and broke my arm.

That said, I contribute a year in National Insurance and another a year in income tax. I also pay huge amounts of tax whenever I buy any tobacco. As I said before, the NHS spend on tobacco related illness is far below what HM treasury receives in duty and VAT on tobacco. Go look it up.

Into the sky, the same place your exhaust fumes go from your car, or the fumes that are produced by coal fired power stations. What's your point?

You're a young man, born in 1982, after the risks from cigarettes were known but you smoke anyway because you consider it to be no worse than breathing in your glorious country which must have air as bad as China.

Hmm, may I suggest you actually get off your arse and look it up instead of making pointless accusations filled with what can only be described as blatant aggression. We actually have some of the cleanest air in the world, except in the big metropolitan area's. What I was pointing out was that 10 minutes in any urban environment where cars and trucks burn and exhale fuel is as bad for your lungs as smoking a single ciggarette.

EDIT to add: Yes, I may be a young man and I never actually smoked until I was 17 as before I played Rugby for the school, county and my local Pro team. I also swam and played football and could get to level 16 on the bleep test at age 14, way above the Royal Marine selection benchmark.

I am still fit and cycle to work every day, spanning some 10 miles. Me smoking is firstly none of your concern and secondly has not affected my health as bad as you may think. I am allowed some vices in life and while some choose to drink (I do not, except rare occasions) I like to have a smoke. Precisely what I do has nothing to do with you at all and quite why you feel you can lecture me on it is a mystery.

If we had dumped billions of gallons of noxious fume emitting petrochemicals in your English Channel, the way you did into our Gulf Of Terrapin Island, would you be using that as an excuse to huff?

We didn't do a thing to "your" Gulf. Please note the following before going off on an anti-British rant based on nothing:

6. Obama loved the fact it was BP as he hates the UK anyway and it provided a nice red herring to throw all you silly idiots off who wanted to blame Johnny Foreigner. Seems like it worked
  7. Transocean, the company who owned and ran the rig, were also responsible for a similiar incident in the North Sea some years ago, but our own saftey rules meant the BOP and other precautions were in place to prevent the situation your own procedures failed you on. Bet you didn't know that.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

how many 11yo you saved lately?

you some kind of vigilante?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Originally posted by stumason

That said, I contribute a year in National Insurance and another a year in income tax. I also pay huge amounts of tax whenever I buy any tobacco. As I said before, the NHS spend on tobacco related illness is far below what HM treasury receives in duty and VAT on tobacco. Go look it up.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Rastus3663

Holy Moses friends! Do what you will! Its ok if you think it is. For now, we have some freedom of choices and I support yours in making them. Whichever way you think best for you and yours!

There is no need to argue points here. I think we all know both sides of the coins...pro and cons.

Thanks for playing!!!!!

edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: stu--tt-ering

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Having issues posting? You've repeated my post twice now with no comment from yourself.

C'mon, it ain't rocket surgery.....

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

I pretty much agree with what you are saying and also am at odds with the official line on the stated causes of various cancers, I think if they know as much about the causes of cancer as they would like us to believe why have they not wiped it out like as with other once common nasty diseases here in u.k.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I don't think smoking is a filthy habit. A habit, yes.

I don't think smoking definately causes cancer either, otherwise I and other smokers and our families would be dead by now.

I believe that all this anti-smoking campaign is all propaganda, to see if TPTB can control us a little bit more than they already do. When i was a kid, tobacco products were advertised and promoted on billboards, tv, cinema, magazines etc, encouraging us all to smoke - and now we find ourselves labelled worse than criminals for smoking. It's like it's a case of 'let's see if we can get em all smoking, then when they do, let's see if we can get em all to stop'.

We see loads of statistics against smoking, and 'info' telling us we are killing everyone including ourselves with our habit, how do you or I know all this isn't propaganda? For all I know it's all made up BS. I can't prove it is propaganda, but you can't prove it isn't either.

There's the non-smokers who have a live and let live attitude, no disapproving 'tut-tuts' or finger-wagging at all. Then there's the whingeing, self-righteous and judgemental non-smokers who are just fuming because we won't do what they want us to do, it's a control thing with them.

Live your own life and stop being so hateful.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

well then i thank you for allowing me to ponder upon your quote...but just the same i can put in a response to the quote that my have been posted in which i did....the quote was posted by yourself and if king James were here for me to address i would do so in exactly the same mannor....altough i may have to forfeit my head for the reply.....

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

I don't respond very often on ATS anymore and have learned it is best to not say what I think when it could be interpreted as a "Hate Crime" so let me just say take a LWOSP and mind your own business. Fortunately, my son is grown and my daughter is off to college soon or I might end up in prison for letting someone like this guy know just how seriously I oppose his having the right to an opinion about what I do with my life and how I raise my children and if I smoke or don't smoke, it is none of his G D Business or anyone else for that matter. This country is great, it is just many of the people who are seriously screwed up.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

reply to post by Taupin Desciple

It is someone's damn business if you smoke around your eleven year old daughter. You are not allowed to harm her in any other way either. She has has right not to be poisoned.

What is wrong with you? She disperses chemicals out of her body as well if not better than anyone else. Think about it, that's what our bodies do. If that weren't the case we would all be dead. Just ask Kieth Richards. I notice you live in Chicago. I live in the mountains of northern Arizona. You know what I smelled this morning when I went out to the porch for my morning smoke at 4 am? ( No, I don't blow smoke in my daughters ears while she's asleep ) The smell of the morning frost being carried by the crisp mountain air. What did you smell? Gary Indiana?

Laws against smoking in a home that I own? You may as well pass laws against breathing in highly polluted air. If that were the case, everyone in Gary, and Chicago for that matter, would be locked up by now. Oh wait, they already are under the guise of being currupt.

top topics

<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join