It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents who smoke should be found unfit to be parents...

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
This hate and bashing the Jaxxy is getting, from what I see from this thread, is not needed at all. And I don't think it's going to affect him either haha.

I for one believe that Jaxxy's speaking the truth here. Smoking infront of your children can have a negative effect as many children see parents as their idols and therefore take up smoking, or being brought up in a household where smoking is the norm, commence it as well. Of course, it can stop many children from doing it as well.

He's not a hypocrite at all. He smoked and now understands that it does more harm and good and thereby decided to stop. What's wrong with that?

And truly, smoking while pregnant is obviously worse than not smoking. Children are born underweight, blah blah and well....I wouldn't for one take the chance of harming my child.

Of course, you have a right to smoke...and if you want to suffer lung diseases, bad coughs and so on...be my guest...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Let me clear this up though which I failed to do in my last post.

I do think smokers can be parents...that shouldn't stop you being a parent. My dad smokes (not that much) and he's a very fine one

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by pikappa
They're addicted, and usually they refuse to admit it or if they do admit it, they'll make all kinds of excuses to keep smoking: that in itself makes me dislike them. Their addiction is harmful, to them and the people around them, this just makes me despise them even more. Also, that smell. Even most smokers I know will admit that it's awful. I'm not sure why you're calling it a prejudice, it's not like I'm saying they can't drive or play the piano or some other completely unrelated thing. It's not like they were born smokers.

Prejudice means you hate a group for one reason or another, you don't have to be born a thing for hatred of your group to be prejudice. For example some people hate goths, and i mean really hate them and you aren't born goth

As for hating them because they are addicted well that makes no sense at all. granted addiction shows a lack of will power, however the rest of their lives may very well be disciplined and they just let themselves go in one area. I've actually seen this a lot, the most disciplined of people, emaculate dress, anal about paper work and then they have their secret vice, a little pleasure. While i dislike smoking i'm not about to say that a whole group of people are bad because of it. Such thinking is child like.

The addicted should be helped, not hated.

Originally posted by Rastus3663
I think its time to increase the tax on luxury food items such as candy and sodas and decrease the tax burden on tobacco; seems only fair if we were to examine the costs to society for diseases associated with each and taxed accordingly.

I actually about increasing taxes on junk food but i don't agree with dropping it on tobacco, both are behaviors that drastically increase healthcare costs in the UK and so both behaviors should be taxed. If this is not done our NHS will fail under the burden of an increasingly obese population. The obese time bomb is set to go off in around 10 years if trends don't change.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Travlla

Smoking is disgusting, and harmful. Smokers are disgusting, and harmful. I'm glad my government, too, is taking counter-measures against this horrible habit.

So I'm disgusting and harmful plus an unfit parent? but yet if i retaliate and call you names i will be in trouble with the mods,that seems fair real fair doesn't it?

You can call me names all you want, I'm not some wimp who'll go whine to the mods if someone dares bruising my ego.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackPoison94

common, you hate your dad for smoking. admit it.

if you were under 18 you can call child services.
put him in jail!!

ya! that's the ticket!

edit on 23-2-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

I don't think you know what "prejudice" means, at all. Go look it up in a dictionary, man.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Reply to post by fooks

Not at all. I love my dad and I respect him.

You don't really know me and thereby can't make that conclusion just from one post..I assure you, completely the opposite to what you think.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

I don't think you know what "prejudice" means, at all. Go look it up in a dictionary, man.

Okey dokey

Prejudice:

An adverse judgement or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge of the facts; Any preconceived opinion or feeling, whether positive or negative; An irrational hostile attitude, fear or hatred towards a particular group, race or religion; The damage caused by such fear or hatred;

An irrational hatred. Just because someone smokes you hate them, they could be the nicest person on this planet and yet you would dislike them, this is not rational and therefore it's a prejudice.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

You guys tax tobacco so heavily, I'm surprised anyone still smokes; dropping the tax might actually increase sales and show a net gain; not really suggesting it as a good idea, just making an observation. Last trip back to the mideast, i was out of smokes and decided to buy a pack at the airport in Ireland. Cost me $15. I'll never fail to buy cigarettes before departing the states again.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rastus3663

You guys tax tobacco so heavily, I'm surprised anyone still smokes; dropping the tax might actually increase sales and show a net gain; not really suggesting it as a good idea, just making an observation. Last trip back to the mideast, i was out of smokes and decided to buy a pack at the airport in Ireland. Cost me $15. I'll never fail to buy cigarettes before departing the states again.

Lol yep we do love a tax on cigarrettes, now if we could just tax alcohol more then maybe we could tackle our drink problems. Believe me when you have witnessed large puddles of vomit all over the streets and been attacked by some random drunk idiot simply because you were walking in a certain place you might welcome such taxes.

Taxes should never be used to punish people, but i do believe they can be used constructively to encourage healthy choices while paying for those who continue to damage their own health and eventually burden the healthcare system.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Rastus3663

$15 for a pag of fags? Although everything at the airport is marked up heavily, even a pint is the better part of a fiver. Usual shop price in the UK is about £5 for a pack of cigarrettes or around £4 for rolling tobacco..

Anyhoo, I do not agree with the OP's premise that people who smoke should be found to be unfit parents. I smoke, yet I do not do so in front of the kids (we have 3) and all of them are well cared for, fed, clothed and the older ones are doing great at school. I can think of plenty people who don't smoke who should be declared "unfit" to be parents. I actually find the insinuation highly insulting that merely because of my smoking I am being judged as a rubbish parent.

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
Taxes should never be used to punish people, but i do believe they can be used constructively to encourage healthy choices while paying for those who continue to damage their own health and eventually burden the healthcare system.

Indeed. In fact, in the UK at least, far more is paid in tax on tobacco products than the cost to the NHS from smoking related diseases, which is going down due to people giving up.
edit on 23/2/11 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

Okey dokey

Prejudice:

An adverse judgement or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge of the facts; Any preconceived opinion or feeling, whether positive or negative; An irrational hostile attitude, fear or hatred towards a particular group, race or religion; The damage caused by such fear or hatred;

An irrational hatred. Just because someone smokes you hate them, they could be the nicest person on this planet and yet you would dislike them, this is not rational and therefore it's a prejudice.

I wish i could give ImaginaryReality1984 a 1000000 stars for that post

Can you hear that pikappa ? it's the sound of you being owned

EPIC FAIL DUDE

I truly believe that people who don't know the meaning of the word prejudice are unfit parents plus they are disgusting and harmful and they probably smell bad as well
nah only joking I'm not that prejudiced
edit on 23/2/2011 by Travlla because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Except my hate isn't irrational. I already explained it, do you suffer from ADD?

Seriously, at least have the decency to read the post you're replying to. Bad smoker.

reply to post by Travlla

Aww, how cute. Another smoker who can't think for himself.

The only ones being "owned" here are the smokers. The civilized world is rapidly turning against them, and they're running out of excuses.

edit on 23-2-2011 by pikappa because: no reason

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Except my hate isn't irrational. I already explained it, do you suffer from ADD?

Seriously, at least have the decency to read the post you're replying to. Bad smoker.

reply to post by Travlla

Aww, how cute. Another smoker who can't think for himself.

The only ones being "owned" here are the smokers. The civilized world is rapidly turning against them, and they're running out of excuses.

May i be so forward as to ask when and why your hatred of smokers developed ?not being smart or taking the piss mate it's a serious question,

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   

A racist can explain their hatred, it doesn't mean it's rational but of course it seems rational in their own mind. You hatred is not rational, as stated you are hating an entire group of people, some of whom could be the nicest people in the world, they could be doctors, working on cancer cures, charity volunteers and yet you hate them for sticking a small cylinder packed with tobacco in their mouths. That's not rational.

Also what do you mean by "bad smoker"? I don't smoke, never have. It seems when someone shows you are wrong or simply embarrasses you then you resort to ad hom attacks.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by pikappa

Smoker's are already made to go otuside (fair enough) and keep away from non-smokers, which I have no problem with. Why, exactly, do you have a hatred for a group which has no impact on you? If people choose to smoke and do so without harming others, what is your problem?

I take great umbridge at people like this who probably will get in their car and drive the 10 minute walk to the shops without thinking about the amount of crap that pours from their cars. A study a few years ago found that 10 minutes outside in an urban environment is as bad as having a ciggarette. But the anti-smoking lot don't appreciate that.
edit on 23/2/11 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Quite frankly, it sounds like another personal opinion that someone would like to see as a law to incarcerate people or provide 'legal' means to give the 'child welfare' system a reason to take children out of homes. Its this kind of thinking that has brought on so many invasive laws that do nothing but take away individual freedoms, like tapping away at a chunk of rock with a hammer. This is my opinion: I grew up when people minded there own business, we didn't have to wear helmets on bicycles, a BB gun was given to 10 year old kids, and we weren't told we had to buy medical insurance or different light bulbs. We apparently did very well with this kind of mindset and loose laws. All this kind of thinking, in my opinion, is just one more way to step on someone's toes, again, and you don't even know who these people are, their way of life, or the actual physical health of any of those people. There are so many 'experts' and studies, which contradict each other, that you can't sling a dead cat without hitting one. I remember my military days. Do you know what an expert was in the military? It was someone who knew 'something' about a subject more so than the others. These are the 'experts' we have today, and more of them than you can count. Its fine that you have an opinion, but to turn it into a way of thinking that takes away the freedom of others is not right. There is something about a declaration and a constitution that brings to mind that doing what you want is OK, just so long as you aren't stepping on someone else whenever you do it.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

I'm not familiar with the research you are referring to that indicates fetal alcohol syndrome is caused by pregnant women inhaling cigarette smoke.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by pikappa

At the end of the day and the bottom line of all this is - as long as it isn't illegal to smoke we don't need any excuses. We're not breaking any laws except your imaginary cuckoo-land laws.

What is worse though, is people raising kids and instilling this terrible bigotry against a certain group of people and teaching them it is ok to hate like this. You are teaching and encouraging your kids to be bigots - that is much, much worse. Shame on you.

Do you also hate the native Americans? Who have all smoked as part of their culture, since long before the 'civilized world' came along with their racism and bigotry and control-freak attitudes.

Smoking isn't such a terrible thing to do. And it it is legal, you will all just have to get over it.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

How can you smoke in Britain without harming others when their taxes are used to pay for your medical treatment? And where does the cigarette smoke that you exhale go? You're a young man, born in 1982, after the risks from cigarettes were known but you smoke anyway because you consider it to be no worse than breathing in your glorious country which must have air as bad as China. If we had dumped billions of gallons of noxious fume emitting petrochemicals in your English Channel, the way you did into our Gulf Of Terrapin Island, would you be using that as an excuse to huff?

new topics

top topics

<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join