It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents who smoke should be found unfit to be parents...

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rastus3663
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

BS; what would you say the rate of Parkinson's disease among smokers vs. non-smokers? You should do real research instead of repeating someone else's talking points. And you run an advice column? LOL!!!

Smoking also makes a person less likely to die climbing Mount Everest and less likely to die of old age.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

Never known a death certificate to show cause of death as old age, or smoking for that matter. Skeptical of the Everest thing though; I was always taught that we should't smoke in extreme cold weather as made us more likely to get frostbite; so now I stay beneath the snow line.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Times have changed a lot since we were kids. Doctors used to recommend smoking to their patients. My husband's mother smoked while she was in labor on her hospital bed having him. How can one honestly place the blame on someone who became addicted because a medical professional advised them to do so in the first place? Society accepted smoking back then. Some time between then and now, it has become the devil.

I am not a religious person, but I have friends that are JWs and I have done bible studies with them. They used to teach the same as doctors. Religions had accepted smoking. Today, the words of the bible are manipulated to say that it is a sin to tamper with God's creation (our mortal bodies). Nowhere does it specifically say that it is a crime to smoke.

My father smoked, but my mother did not. I remember getting into an ashtray that was on a coffee table as a 3 year old child. I ate the cigarette butts and coughed for a week straight. My family still laughs about it. I am now 30 years old. I have a 2 year old daughter. I did not smoke during pregnancy, but I smoked before and after. I have anxiety problems and it is the only thing that will keep me level headed. I maybe have 5 cigarettes a day. Unlike what stereotypes exist, not all smokers go through a lot of cigarettes a day. I've been doing this for 10 years and I know a lot of other moms out there that do the exact same thing.

My daughter is not effected by my smoking. I don't make the same mistakes my parents did and I do not smoke anywhere near her. I always wash my hands and mouth when I come back in from having one. Her growth is actually above normal- she is very tall for her age and her development is right about average. She is not even exposed to it.

My question to some of the anti-smokers here is... Would you prefer I were doped up on anti-depressants that can cause even worse behavior, anxiety attacks, and an inability to function? I chose smoking because I can still function after having one. I've been on SSRIs before and they turned me into a living zombie. Some medications I would be on do a lot more harm to my body in a few years than what smoking will do to me in decades. With young children, a parent has to be especially alert at all times.

I believe firmly that there are some situations where smoking is acceptable. Like breast feeding, the pros outnumber the cons. Do what is best for you. Everything today can cause cancer- using a microwave, going out in the sun, using cellphones, etc.... you get cancer from ANYTHING. Every day we are alive, we come closer to death. You don't have to go out and live life like there's no tomorrow, but you can LIVE.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Rastus3663

That is however a small point because it's one very tiny section of society.

The majority and we're talking over 90% here are negatively affected by smoking. I don't really know why people argue this point when it's been proven over and over again, with studies run by the people selling cigarettes themselves having to admit they damage your health. This is why in many european countries they now have to be labelled with a health warning and not just mild warnings but direct ones like "smoking causes cancer". Don't argue against that point because it's ridiculous to do so.

Smoking damages the health of the smoker, passive smoking may very well damage health as well if it happens often enough. However people should have the right to smoke if they so choose.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I smoke pot not ciggarettes but im going be completely honest threads like this are Fkn stupid waste of time bollocks! Stop preaching people what to do this is a free country alright? plus all the info you put is nothing new. Everyone knows ciggarretes are bad for you thats why i smoke pot but still people have the right to smoke fags if they want.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
do people have the right to end their own lives? Some things should not be allowed, smoking i think is one of them

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Hey, did you know that males can contribute some factor that can lead to FAS without the woman ever drinking?

Fascinating the way something work.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Let me say with most sincerity something.

Screw you.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger

Let me say with most sincerity something.

Screw you.

End of story.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by matthewm

Luckily, I live in a right to die state at the moment and this is where I will retire; so you don't get to make that choice for me either.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

It is stastistically significant to me and my family as we are members of a Cherokee tribe; and smoking actually benefits society in the US as most smokers do not live long enough to collect full social security and pay more taxes (keep in mind the taxes have increased significantly since 1991 and despite a dramatic decrease in the number of smokers instances of lung cancer continue to rise):

In 1991, Willard G. Manning, et al., published a landmark study on the costs to society of alcohol and tobacco. Manning and his colleagues were no friends of tobacco. They assumed that smoking causes premature death, extra sick leave, and fires. Never-the-less, when all of the costs attributed to smoking by Manning are added up and offset against the benefits, it is clear that smokers pay more to society than they take from society. In the following table, a minus sign denotes a cost to society, while a positive sign denotes a saving or benefit. All of the figures are expressed in cents per pack of cigarettes smoked:

Additional medical expenses from smoking -26
Sick leave costs -01
Group life insurance -05
Fires caused by smoking -02
Lost tax revenues due to premature death -09
Reduced use of retirement pensions +24
Reduced use of nursing homes +03
Federal cigarette tax +24
State and local taxes 15 +26
Net Benefit to Society +34

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Smoking is disgusting, and harmful. Smokers are disgusting, and harmful. I'm glad my government, too, is taking counter-measures against this horrible habit.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by pikappa
Smoking is disgusting, and harmful. Smokers are disgusting, and harmful. I'm glad my government, too, is taking counter-measures against this horrible habit.

Why such terrible prejudice? I know a few smokers, admittedly not many but they're not harmful or disgusting. They are perfectly nice people and they tend to keep their habit away from people who don't want to be smoked on.

What about fat people? If we find them offensive should they be banned from certain areas? What about people who drink? Or how about ugly people while we're at it? This is all basically the same thing but it seems you don't mind prejudice when it's aimed at a group that you dislike.
edit on 23-2-2011 by ImaginaryReality1984 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

Why such terrible prejudice? I know a few smokers, admittedly not many but they're not harmful or disgusting. They are perfectly nice people and they tend to keep their habit away from people who don't want to be smoked on.

They're addicted, and usually they refuse to admit it or if they do admit it, they'll make all kinds of excuses to keep smoking: that in itself makes me dislike them. Their addiction is harmful, to them and the people around them, this just makes me despise them even more. Also, that smell. Even most smokers I know will admit that it's awful. I'm not sure why you're calling it a prejudice, it's not like I'm saying they can't drive or play the piano or some other completely unrelated thing. It's not like they were born smokers.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

I think its time to increase the tax on luxury food items such as candy and sodas and decrease the tax burden on tobacco; seems only fair if we were to examine the costs to society for diseases associated with each and taxed accordingly.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

So maybe this thread is about you trying to project your guilt about smoking in the car/house around your daughter onto people who still smoke,as i have stated i do not smoke around my children so going by your attitude I am a better parent than you were,do you believe your child should have been taken away from you because by your own admission (being a smoker) your were an unfit parent,
Maybe just maybe if you had approached this thread with a title like "parents who smoke in the car/house with their kids may be found unfit parents" you may have found a lot of smokers agreeing with you,but to call all smokers unfit parents is a gross generalisation and was always going to cause trouble,
In Australia people (at least peeps i know) do not smoke inside,even the one's without kids,maybe our smoke packets have something to do with it,

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by pikappa

Actually I'm quite good looking. Harmful? Quite. I had quit smoking for several years and started back in Afghanistan. Seemed silly not to.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
First of all, let me admit that I am the child of smokers, and that I myself smoked for over 26 years.

Hypocrite. I should no more take advice from you than a reformed criminal testifying in church of his changed ways. Perhaps you can ask the authorities to legislate banning all tobacco products and any food containing even trace amounts of any fat while you're on your high horse.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
unfortunately the statute of limitations ran out on that for me, but i beg to differ.

hate non-smokers.

hate people who eat garlic too.

vegans, assholes, plain o chumps and ignorant people. people who wear way much cologne or perfume.
or pachulli oil, lol.

so what?

wish i could make laws.

push all u people in a 15x15 room and let you go for it.

my parents smoked but back then it was non toxic. go figure. cigs just went up $10HK, piss me off.

i remember smoking on planes, some still have ashtrays in the armrests.

i understand it is not the best habit and try to be considerate when i do smoke.
but i am getting increasingly pissed when i am looked at and treated like a leper.

i will sue the government(s) and rj renolds, someday. i will make billions. for the rico act.
my daughter does not smoke, btw.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

So I'm disgusting and harmful plus an unfit parent? but yet if i retaliate and call you names i will be in trouble with the mods,that seems fair real fair doesn't it?

new topics

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join