It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents who smoke should be found unfit to be parents...

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Oh and one more thing..... The air in some cities in the US is worse for "little lungs" than second hand cigarette smoke.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by nottheonlyone
I have one thing to say to the title of this thread....

Governments that profit from the manufacturing of the highly addictive product that is the leading cause of death in the US are not fit to govern - just sayin.

Our Government not fit to govern? This has to be the most intelligent thing I have ever heard someone say on ATS. No joke.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

Not sure, but I have a feeling it was a bit of a satirical post friend. And if it isn't Boourns, he won't last long around here.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by QuantumDisciple

All send an AMEN to that.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Thanks Quantum
I have to say I 100% agree with that statement as well.
At the same time making fun of the silly idea that parents that smoke are unfit - pointing out the irony of that thought and making the point that if it not manufactured and sold it would not be such a problem.

I smoke - I wish they would stop selling the damn things so I could quit. I don't think it should be illegal though if someone wants to grow a tobacco plant and cure and smoke tobacco they should be able to do so - I cannot grow a plant to save my life. You know they actually add nicotine to cigarettes. It is true that nicotine is natural in tobacco but they still add more.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAmused

Originally posted by FPB214
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

I agree with you, because im 19 and have lived with my mother smoking for years. It's gotten to the point where I bi*** at her to not do it in the house. I mean, how hard is it to go outside? Although she does go outside somewhat, she still smokes in the house quite a bit. Her excuse, like last week, was "My parents smoked in the house the whole time I was growing up, and look were still here." My grandparents are pretty healthy, and my mom is 47. She's been smoking since she was younger than me.

When I was in 10th-11th grade that's when I smoked the most, even then though I wasn't a constant smoker. Usually B&M's and a few cigarettes. I've since stopped doing it, and really only do it every so often, like last night I had half of a Skydancer. At least they are 100% natural though. That was probably the first time in weeks though.

Either way, I just hate it now. Not so much the smoking, just the smoke filling up the place I live in. The stench is the worst when first lit. I will say this though, my bedroom window has literally been contantly open for over a year. Its open now, and will be open for the rest of the year. It may be a waste of electricity, but i'd rather get clean fresh air, and a way for the smoke to filter out then have it contained in one area. Thing that sucks, is I live in Florida, and during the summer its so humid and nasty out, but I just ignore it.

*snip* I rarely smoke in my house, and enjoy going outdoors much better, at least I get fresh air and (at night) get to look at the stars. I believe its not good for you, but I think between my fan running and windows open that might make it a little better. I hope sometimes though that nothing happens to me later in life because of this, but at the same time everyone will die oneday from something and today we probably interact with things that can give you cancer everyday.

Mod Note: Removed reference to recreational drug use.
edit on 2/21/2011 by maria_stardust because: (no reason given)

Your in your mom's house at age 19 crying about what she does in her own house...
Enough said...
She should have beat you as a kid to teach you respect.
end of story lol

Well, let me just re-post what I posted to someone else who took my statement the wrong way:

"Well I have a job and give my mother money. As for moving out, wish I could. Fact is I landed a job after looking for months, where I live jobs are probably a little more scarce than in some areas. Im still in school and have been making up 10 credits in the last year, and glad to say I will be done in March and have my diploma before the next class graduates. I thought at the time I was going to be stuck getting my GED. I've been longing to join the Army Rangers since I was 6 and plan to do so this year. My mother loves me, and knows my situation. She does not mind if I live with here a few more months until I get everything together, and get a real job supporting myself.

I love my mother to death and we have conversations about everything. We have discussions about smoking, she's a very strong woman and has what it takes to quit, I think with her situation right now though she has that fear. Although she knows she'd save alot of money as well as be healthier. I would love for my mother to live until shes around her parents age (80), and I know if she continues on the path right now she is more at risk of not seeing those days.

Not saying we dont encounter deadly things everyday in life, but just from the research and love for my mother i'd like to see her without cigarettes and happier."

As for respect, that's all i've grown up with. Being in boyscouts at 6 years old actually teaches you some useful things. I've been respectful all my life, you just took my statement the wrong way. Your getting the idea that im some lazy, disrespectful, brat kid. I wish I could go back and delete that post, because it's giving people the wrong perception.
edit on 21-2-2011 by FPB214 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by nottheonlyone

Yes, I did poke fun of this asinine idea. I just don't understand what kind of person utters an idea like this. Are they oblivious to what is going on around them? Do they really think that taking a child from their parents, over smoking, is a good idea? To put the children where? In the hands of the Government I take it. Is there any faction of the US Government that appears to be competant or efficient? Is there any faction of the US Government that is impervious to corruption? Is it really "For the People, by the People?"

I just don't understand how people are okay with giving up freedoms. How people honestly believe that their opinion is right for everyone.

The pollution of a metropolis like Los Angeles poses the same level of risk to a child, if not more.

www.americanheart.org...

Are parents unfit for raising a child here? OP, while your intentions of protecting a child are novel surely you can dream up a better way to protect them that doesn't involve taking them from their parents.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Smokers seem to have the victim mentality going full bore. You make any attempt to question their lifestyle and they go on and on about "rights" while blowing smoke in your face.

Maybe they have every cause to be so.

I can remember when the Surgeon General started talking about putting warnings on cigarette packs. It wasn't such a big deal; I could ignore those warnings.

I remember when the announcement was made that all domestic airline flights of 2 hours or less would be non-smoking. I didn't like that idea, but I didn't plan on doing any flying anyway.

Then I remember when all domestic flights were non-smoking. That made me start looking into this mess.

I remember when the Federal Government announced that all federal buildings would be non-smoking.

I remember when the state followed suit.

I remember when restaurants began to implement non-smoking areas.

I remember when the restaurants began to change from smoking-permitted with non-smoking areas to non-smoking with smoking areas.

I remember the first restaurant that opened in this area which had no smoking permitted anywhere. I boycotted it and went to other restaurants to eat.

I remember when it became more common for a restaurant to be non-smoking then smoking.

I remember when laws began to be passed outlawing smoking in restaurants and bars.

I remember when stores started putting those little "No Smoking" signs on the front door.

I remember when they started putting those "No Smoking within ?? feet" signs on the doors.

I remember when the cost of a pack of cigarettes was under $1.00. They could still be close to that, except for the many times taxes have been added. Now a pack is $5.00 here, almost 80% of which is a punitive tax.

I remember when companies who had a lot of smokers had to place signs outside the door advising others that smoking was permitted inside. I worked for one.

I remember when that stopped and you had to go outside on a break to smoke.

I remember when employers started complaining that smokers were less productive because they went outside to smoke.

I remember a big deal being made about smokers catching more colds and flu... ignoring the fact that they had to huddle outside in scorching summer heat, freezing cold, and pouring rain.

I remember family and friends jumping on the bandwagon... please don't smoke in my house, go outside in the cold... and I remember them asking me why I hadn't visited in so long.

I remember.

That's why I fed the troll and started responding to this thread. Others can do what they want; I will smoke in my house, even though I have kids. I will smoke outside. I will smoke in my car. Enough is enough! No more concessions! No more compromise! I will not be treated as a second-class citizen any longer because I use nicotine rather than a bunch of overpriced, dangerous, prescribed pills. I already cannot enjoy a nice meal in peace, because I have to go outside, regardless of weather, to smoke a cigarette. I cannot enjoy sitting in a bar for the same reason. I cannot go to a movie theater and enjoy the show because I miss so much of it having to go smoke that I can't follow the plot. And should I ever need a hospital, I guess I'll just have to forego that little advantage of society as well.

So be it. I will not trade my freedom to choose my lifestyle for any of that. I smoke. I have always smoked. I will always smoke. Add in death and taxes, and you have the three things in life that cannot change.

Live with it.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I do not know why this thread has been allowed to continue...

It is a disgrace and a stab at american freedoms... taking people kids away cos the parents smoke...

I roll my own too... gonna start growning my own too... i support smokers rights... There is gay rights, ethic rights, etc right... i support smokers rights...

I can handle arguments over smoking in most cases... but the OP has seriously insulted... offended and attacked the civil liberties of anyone who has read this thread...

If we start giving up our rights.... one here... one there... before we know it we will be bound and gagged left with no where to go... no wiggle room... a 100% police state... forget freedoms... you will no longer be allowed to think for yourself... or do what you want period... you will like what "they" tell you to like...

I have submitted a complaint for this thread, for it is an attack on my personal rights and freedoms, not only as an american but as a future caring parent.

I am highly offended. This thread is not civil...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
"First of all, let me admit that I am the child of smokers, and that I myself smoked for over 26 years, including the years when my daughter was growing up. I have since quit, and this has changed my perspective on the issue."

"Considering the myriad of problems the nicotine addiction inflicts upon the children of those addicted to this legal drug, it most certainly SHOULD be considered grounds for finding such parents as unfit to raise children..."

So what's more important, your kids or your habit?

Well isn't that nice. Your parents had the freedom to smoke while raising a child. YOU had the freedom to smoke while raising a child. Now that you have quit smoking and realize the potential harm you did to your daughters health, YOU think that "Parents who smoke should be found unfit to be parents"??

Children being taken from their smokey homes and placed in foster care will not alleviate the remorse you seem to have. I think what you are trying to say, is that YOU should have been found unfit to raise your daughter. It's ok though, we all make mistakes....as long as we are allowed to make mistakes.

Thank you for being honest though and including that you smoked while raising a child.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I don't smoke, my parents don't smoke.

I think it is utterly wrong to say a parent is unfit just because they smoke. As long as they smoke away from their child then it shouldn't be a problem. In fact if you are going to go down this road then what about parents who feed their children fat laden food, should they also be unfit? What if they don't encourage them to exercise? Sorry but this thread is a joke.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Yes, Los Angeles that was the exact city I was hinting at in an earlier post. Thanks for the link

Yeah, I suppose that the children of the horrible smokers should be taken away from their parents and placed in foster a home that receives government assistance... That will sure help the huge deficit.... I cannot tell you the horror stories I have heard about foster homes. In most cases the child ends up in a more horrible situation than they were in to begin with - only surrounded by strangers instead of people that love them.

I really wonder about the people with views like this. What makes them think they know what is good for other people.

Giving up their freedoms - don't even get me started on that one.... It is not okay to smoke but lets take the kids to (random state the have to fly to) and let the TSA worker feel them up. Like that is not going to create repressed memories.

edit on 21-2-2011 by nottheonlyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by nottheonlyone

You know I actually worked for the CWA (Child Welfare Agency)
The place I worked was so sad... it housed children who was flying through the foster care system... some had deep mental issues... some no one wanted... no one cared enough to take...
While myself and my co-workers treated these kids with respect and gave them the care/attention they needed... most of them were institutionalized to the point... that they werent even kids anymore... they were like prisoners...

My first day on the job, a 13 year old explained to me all the protocols and procedures... the kid knew more about the place than me... With all my training this kid had been in the system so long that he knew it better than my boss and her boss... that is sad...

And come on lets face it... Foster parents rarely care.. .they just want that massive check... they get paid based on the kids level... if the kid is typically "easy going" then the foster parent gets paid less... a "easy going" kid earns a foster parent 500... then the foster parent gets paid 30 bucks a week to do the kids laundry or if age premits ...teach the kid how to do laundry... they get paid 30 a week to cook for em... or teach em... they get paid 200 bucks per kid on groceries... if the kid is in the car... the gas money is covered... if they take the kid out to eat or to a movie... the entire trip is government paid... while thats fine... glad for the kid.. it needs all "fun" it can get... the child has been through enough... sadly most foster parents are in it for the money...

I left the CWA cos it was too much heartache to bear...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Im smoking right now. Mmmmmmm
Delicious.
my roomate has a baby and we smoke outside or in the garage no where around the child. Problem solved.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Smoking is poison.
Parents who smoke are poising their children.
Poising of children is an criminal offense.
Therefore parents who smoke are poising there children and are criminals and should be charged under the law.

Z

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePowerThatIs
Im smoking right now. Mmmmmmm
Delicious.
my roomate has a baby and we smoke outside or in the garage no where around the child. Problem solved.

Must...resist...giving in...to the corporate fat cats hands. Man what a struggle it is these days.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

Yeah, it's a question of responsibility and freedom ... if we want to call the society we live in a free one we must not be seduced to police other's lifestyles. It's ok to argue and try to persuade people not to smoke in front of their children (or at all) but to threaten to take their children away for not complying is a whole different matter. I would expect that kind of enforcement in a Stalinist Russia not modern free societies (or the ideal of free societies).

It's a slippery slope, if you would support taking children away for smoking, what about eating unhealthy or practicing 'dangerous' sports (like football
, before you know it the corporations are lobbying congress to declare non-GMO 'enhanced' foods 'unhealthy' and you find yourself forced to buy their products because of the fear of your children being taken away ... that thought sends chills down my spine - and that's because it doesn't sound that unreal at all, you know they would try, I would better not go that road ...

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join