It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents who smoke should be found unfit to be parents...

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13
This is the greatness that is the document.

Oh, come on !

You are defending the 300-year old document just as a Christian would defend the contents of the Bible.

They are both open to interpretation, but your defence of these documents that were written by a bunch of drunkards, leaves a lot to be desired...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

LOL.

You've got me on that one.

''300-hundred year'' now reads ''200-hundred-year''.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I don't know about yall, but I woke up today thinking, "I sure wish some jerk-off on ATS would try to further infringe on the almost non-existent rights smokers still cling to."

I'm so sick of this trash. Tobacco, which almost single-handedly funded the American Revolution, is really not a decision for the government or anyone else to make as to who ingests it.

Should people smoke around children? No, I don't think so. I personally don't, but that's just me. It doesn't change the fact that calling someone an unfit parent because they enjoy tobacco is utterly ridiculous. By your logic, a parent who goes outside to smoke and never lights up in the car or anywhere else around their children is just as guilty of some unseen law of etiquette that should strip them of the children in question. What a joke.

Now, I'm biased. Not because I smoke, but because I rather foolishly think civil liberties and personal freedom should still matter. I'm so sick of being harassed by non-smokers. If you don't like smoking, then don't do it. Just because you choose to not enjoy something...which is LEGAL, mind you....doesn't mean you have the right to demonize everyone who does.

And by the way, if secondhand smoke were even HALF as dangerous as they FALSELY claim, everyone in the world would have lung cancer.

There are dangerous chemicals in every food and pill you pop into your mouth, in every drop of water you drink...but someone sitting quietly on his patio shouldn't be allowed to light up a cigarette after a rough day, because you might be within a mile of them and not appreciate it.

You want to know what's wrong with this country? The OP and everyone like them. I smoke. It will kill me someday, I'll die a horrible death, and it'll cost me a ridiculous amount of money. That's my decision, though. Not yours. I smoke because I love it. It's one of the few things on this awful planet that actually makes me happy. The fact that our world is falling apart; yet there are people worried about whether I set fire to a plant that grows naturally upon the earth; is pretty freaking sad. We really have our priorities in check. Here's an idea: you worry about you. I'll worry about me.

edit on 21-2-2011 by thektotheg because: error

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Is this nonsense really still going on?

I miss the days when everyone used to mind their own damn business. You don't have to like or agree with what everyone else does, but you wouldn't have to worry about that if you had been minding your own business in the first place.

If there is outright abuse, then yes by all means, speak up. I don't think smoking around kids quite fits that bill. Its not right, and I don't agree with it. But I am not going to stick my nose where it doesn't belong either.

This thread has spurred on so many arguments completely unrelated to the OP, I am really surprised it hasn't been shut down.
edit on 21-2-2011 by daryllyn because: because I can.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Hands everyone who replied to this post,gets troll bait awards...

MuHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Gets on topiX. Parents who have sex should be unfit to be parents as well. Parents who eat meat should be unfit as well, parents who work should be unfit also... Get my drift..

man I hate to see this happen to ats members...

Anyhow jax, thanks for the

edit on 21-2-2011 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by thektotheg
Here's an idea: you worry about you. I'll worry about me.

edit on 21-2-2011 by thektotheg because: error

While this concept is quite novel the truth is You and every citizen of the US needs a guiding hand. What you need is a responcible, well-guided, and efficient Govenment to put you on the right path. It is quite clear, from the statistics of the US Education system that people are far too unintelligent to make these kinds of decisions for themselves. You must understand that this is the reason the Government was formed.

Now I know you think you enjoy that cigarette of yours and you seem to find refuge in smoking them but this is just misplaced devotion. Once it is stripped from you pehaps you will find joy and refuge in your Government...were it belongs.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Man no one is more self righteous and anti smoking than ex smokers!

I understand why you would make this thread, people hate smoking I get it. But what about parents who smoke who don't smoke in the house? All your copied information seemed to pertain to parents who smoke around their kids. I stopped smoking when my fiance was pregnant but started up again a few months after the baby was born. Never in the house tho, and never around my daughter. Does this make me an unfit parent? I find that a little unreasonable. I don't even pick up my daughter or touch any of her toys after smoking until I've washed my hands.

All that being said I realize smoking is a nasty addiction, and extremely unhealthy, and in the near future I need to actually quit for good and not start again. It makes me laugh when people say "it's easy to quit smoking I've done it tons of times!" This is usually uttered in between drags

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by monkeykillingmonkey

While your attempts to conceal the smoking from your child is well-intened it still puts you in the "unfit" catagory. Your first offence should come with a stern fine and many hours of addiction management. These classes will be taught to you by volunteers (perhaps the OP) who have proven themselves as "fit" parents. The intent of your Government is not to strip you of your progeny. Only to put you back on path to becoming a "Good American."

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Alcohol can be worse.

My uncles started smoking because their dads and uncles taught them to.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I hope your ready for a rather weak-kneed response. I smoke quality cigars without inhaling, so I don't know if I'm running any significant risk. That may make me unfit to comment. But, I really like some of the comments that ThirdEyeofHorus and Redneck made and they make me wonder.

"Unfit" parents have their children removed by law. I believe the standard for removal is actual or imminent harm to the child. Redneck points out that the risk of harm from second-hand smoke is not based on solid research, at worst it increases the risk of illness later in life.

Do we then remove children based on increased risk of some future condition? That is a standard I'd hate to see. As has been pointed out, there are many things that increase the risk to children or others. For children, arguing between parents or a divorce increases the risk of problems to the children. So is having only one parent. Perhaps having two parents of the same sex?

As far as I can see, removing children based on a possible risk leads to a completely impossible standard that would be impossible to consistently maintain. Smoking may be the current hot button issue, but I've read that "third-hand smoke" is now being condemned for the same reasons (or non-reasons) as second hand smoke.

Education, fine. Removal or penalties, I hope not.
edit on 21-2-2011 by charles1952 because: clarification

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I see that some of you couldn't handle the truth about smokers being weak-willed people so you went and tattled to the moderators.

Man up and deal with the truth. Smoking is an addiction. Like any other addictions (alcoholism, caffeine addiction and drug addiction), it is a sign of WEAKNESS and if you do it, YOU ARE WEAK.

There's nothing offensive here. It's the truth.
edit on 21-2-2011 by The Sword because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
You Must Be Joking.........

Seriously.. you have got to be kidding or something, right?

Spare me the punchline b/c this isn't even funny.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

that is just a tad condescending don't ya think?
what makes you so perfect in design?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
The whole debate about cigarettes is pointless because everyone knows they are unhealthy and that you shouldn't smoke around kids or even other people who don't smoke if you want to be super polite. My father smoked, my step-father smokes, my grandparents smoked, and coincidentally every single one of my girlfriends I've ever had has smoked, but I never have. In fact I've never had any health problems aside from the usual minor bug and even that only happens every other year or so. My son's egg donor (biological mother to some) refused to quit smoking during the pregnancy no matter how much I begged and pleaded. My son is four and completely healthy and his growth hasn't been stunted because he is almost half my height and wears seven year old clothes. As far as the whole unfit parent argument...bull. My smoking step-father was a better parent in every way than my non-smoking mother. I met my smoking fiancee when my son was two and she has accepted him and loves him like he is hers and when someone learns he isn't they are surprised because they have a wonderful mother/son relationship. She never smokes around him and never allows others to either.

Personally, I think everyone would be better off if all the smokers quit. However, I'm not going to try to stop someone or support a cause to make it illegal. If you're an adult and want to smoke, drink, do drugs then there's nothing to it but to do it. Just please be mindful of others who might not partake and please try not to put other people in harm's way because that's just irresponsible. And comparing cigs to meth. That's absurd. I'm in Oklahoma, the meth capital of the US and I can tell you from personal experience with meth-heads...it's crap. I've seen fathers steal from their children to buy the stuff. An apartment I used to rent almost burned down because a neighbor had a lab. I've seen so many lives and families completely destroyed that I've lost count. Anyone comparing the two either doesn't know what they're talking about or they're just saying that for dramatic effect because anyone who has been around meth knows the truth.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
As has been pointed out, there are many things that increase the risk to children or others. For children, arguing between parents or a divorce increases the risk of problems to the children. So is having only one parent. Perhaps having two parents of the same sex?

I was going to say this in another post and didn't but since you brought it up...

I was going to say that divorce can drive a kid to smoke, drink, do drugs, have promiscuous sex, become depressed, etc. etc. I had a really rough time once my parents divorced. My grades PLUMMETED. I was a straight A, 4.0 student and I graduated with a 2.6. Pretty embarrassing. I hated life. I missed my dad. My mom and I didn't get along. I got into partying, drugs, stealing, etc. Thankfully my dad set me straight. None of this was true before they divorced. I can tell you my mom smoking had NOTHING to do with any of it. And I can't imagine how much worse off I would have been if someone came and took me from them when I was young because of something like that.

I guess parents should lose their kids if they divorce too?? "Hey, kid. You're parents are splitting up. Were gonna get you some new ones, m'andkay?"

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Every human has a weakness.

You are not any different.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MagesticEsoteric

That's not the point.

Smokers seem to have the victim mentality going full bore. You make any attempt to question their lifestyle and they go on and on about "rights" while blowing smoke in your face.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by MagesticEsoteric

Are you a smoker? I've never seen someone take enough offense to post two separate responses.

Did I claim I was perfect? Nope. Did I get ratted out by a disgruntled smoker? Most likely.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by monkeykillingmonkey

good god! the first line of that post sums it all up to a frickin' T,

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join