It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents who smoke should be found unfit to be parents...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainTrips
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

I thought you mention parents who smoke marijuana I was about to say.... Yes ciggerets are bad

Not to be a drag here but why would smoking pot be less worse than cigarettes?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
When my kids have a tupperware party in the car
I damn well tell them to share.

BTW
none of us smoke cigarettes...because we don't like them.
not because we were told to quit by someone who won't cover the actual cures that work under health care...
(which if they really wanted us to quit they would do)

PS
Pot puts O2 into your lungs which is anti cancer, while tobacco drives the blood out, which promotes cancer....
*snip*....not much to compare I'd say

edit on 20-2-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

Mod note: Removed reference to drug use.
edit on 2/21/2011 by maria_stardust because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by CordDragonzord

I believe any type of smoking can be harmful, but lets be honest. Does Marijuana have all of the additives that most cigarettes do? Doubt it. Many studies are out right now, some which say MJ is bad, others say the exact opposite and that it actually shows it decreases cancer cells in the lungs.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
As expected, the addicts have come here to defend their addiction... I used to do the same... It is just pathetic to put your 'right' to pollute the air that others are breathing so that you can get your 'fix'... and if you don't think it's and addiction, you are just fooling yourself and are the good little monkey that the Cigarette Companies want you to be...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by CordDragonzord

Originally posted by CaptainTrips

I thought you mention parents who smoke marijuana I was about to say.... Yes ciggerets are bad

Not to be a drag here but why would smoking pot be less worse than cigarettes?

Less worse is a double negative... just kidding. Marry jane has more tar in it by far, but the chemicals that are added to cigs to keep them lit is off the chart, and to make it worse they add more on top of that to make them go out to prevent forest fires

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
As expected, the addicts have come here to defend their addiction... I used to do the same... It is just pathetic to put your 'right' to pollute the air that others are breathing so that you can get your 'fix'... and if you don't think it's and addiction, you are just fooling yourself and are the good little monkey that the Cigarette Companies want you to be...

Hey man, humans have been using tobacco longer than they have wiped their buts with toilet paper, it is a past time.
edit on 20-2-2011 by tom goose because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

I agree with the above statements but what about the people 30 years ago who didn't have access to all of the information about just how bad cigarettes were? I mean, for a time cigarette commercials were designed to show how "cool" it was to smoke. Maybe, now in this time period, that could be said about younger parents but the damage is pretty much already done.

Remember though, if you can't beat them join them. That's what Big Tobacco did and look how much money they are raking in on anti-tobacco ads and patches? I'm not saying that people should smoke, I'm just saying that some people are still ignorant to just how harmful cigarettes can be.

Im not ignorant....i just have no reason to fear smoking. As i said in my other post, my grandparents have been smoking 20+ a day for well over half a century...they are both alive and VERY fit for their ages. My nan looks about 60 tops. They both still drive and look after themselves.

My dads parents...both non smokers...recently died. My grandad died 3 weeks ago...he was 78. He died from complications as far as i can make out (I think blood poisoning). My nan died 2 days ago...aged 75. She died from old age (body shut down couldnt swallow etc).

My dad...is my stepdad but has lived with me since i was 3 so hes my dad

+4 more 
link   
Everyone Should ask themselves...what business is it of mine what other people do? That is what I think. Do you know how much blood will run in the streets if you were to take a child from their parents for smoking?

Edit: let me add that I quit smoking myself. The problem is the "do gooders" that feel others need to behave a certain way, abstain from certain things and end up allowing allow fists to exist. They need to be ignored and shouted down lest liberty be pissed on.
edit on 20-2-2011 by SmokeandShadow because: edit

+7 more 
link   
This is just totalitarianism trying to sneak in the door.

You have been deemed unfit to be a natural human being because I say so.

Bla bla bla.

Therefore this entire thought process about deeming "other people" as "unfit for parenting" has fundamentalist religious intonations within it.

The Christians deem gays unfit to parent.
The Liberals deem smokers unfit to parent.

WHATS THE DIFFERENCE? NONE.

Both of them are loud mouthed fools getting in my face trying to tell me how to live.
Just get off meh!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Feeling judgemental are we?

I don't have to defend anything that I do to you! As I said, what I do in my car and in my home, that I am paying for is none of your business. I respect your right not to breathe it, as I stated, I refrain in public. Kudos to you for quitting... I am happy for you.... careful you don't fall of that soapbox!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by FPB214

I'm not saying pot is worse than cigarettes, I'm just saying that people who have small kids should probably stay away from it.

To be honest I can't understand peoples obsession with weed since there aren't any addictive additives in it. Either way most people that I know that smoke pot ALSO smoke cigarettes. One thing I will say though, you should keep both away from your kids at all time until they are old enough to make they're own decisions.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by CordDragonzord

Its natural....it doesnt have the additives.
Its not addictive...unless you have an addictive personality that is

There was a study...il try and find it and post it as a source...where it examined MJ smokers and tobacco smokers...MJ smokers lungs were healthy and pretty much clear, whereas tobacco smokers were in bad shape and filled with tar and other chemicals.

Cant go into it as much i would like for fear il be banned....so il leave it at that
Lets keep talking about that more dangerous but legal drug and keep the mods happy

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

reply to post by FPB214

I'm not saying pot is worse than cigarettes, I'm just saying that people who have small kids should probably stay away from it.

To be honest I can't understand peoples obsession with weed since there aren't any addictive additives in it. Either way most people that I know that smoke pot ALSO smoke cigarettes. One thing I will say though, you should keep both away from your kids at all time until they are old enough to make they're own decisions.

I think people should stay away because it is illegal and that is the ONLY reason. It isn't worth loosing you're children to the Nazi's...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Feeling defensive are we? And I'm not questioning your right to pollute your own lungs. I am questioning your right to expose your or anyone else's children to your habit...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

+13 more 
posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I can't believe the hypocrisy. Oh yeah, I can, actually...ex-(fill-in-th-blank)'s are always the worst.

You raised your kid as a smoker, but mine should be taken away. I get it.

I've been an outside smoker and a good parent since my child was born. It's about personal responsibility. Freedom from government overreach...or can you conceive of "overreach" when it comes to the government? Where is the constitutional authority to take my kids away?

Threads like this disgust me, as they show, in brilliant color, how little people these days respect the notions of personal privacy, family autonomy, and essential liberty.

And back to the hypocrisy...would you have gladly surrendered your child to the government on such erroneous grounds? Be real, man.

edit on 20-2-2011 by joechip because: clarification

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Soooo... you were pathetic as well, but now you're not? And since you have overcome your patheticness you can show others how pathetic they are? Nice!

I really don't see many folks defending it. I also don't think most of us are ignorant to the health issues or hate our children. Most of us don't have our houses looking like a cloudy pool hall. How would you know though since you assumed everything already?

We are asking where it stops, who decides, is it one cig or ten? It is an extreme viewpoint you hold. Is it retroactive? Your child suffers from lung cancer 20 years from now, she was around you when you smoked, should you recieve a death sentence?

I need clarification.
edit on 2/20/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

While I agree that smoking is bad for our health, I have to ask... what isn't?

good point i agree.

to the O.P., am i a bad parent if i eat a few cream cakes thus shortening my life and causing me health problems, and as a result my kids have to visit me in hospital? what about booze if i was a drinker? what about if i was speeding because i was in a rush and i had a accident, would that action mean i am a poor parent?

just interested in your thoughts on other things that parents do that can affect a child also.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   

You can raise your kids how you want to.

If someone smokes outside away from their kids, then most of those risk factors are cancelled out.

Sounds like you're taking up a crusage against smoking because somehow you think people aren't responsible for their own actions?

I'm glad you aren't in a position to tell me how fit or unfit I am. I would say that you are unfit to be a parent because you believe people shouldn't take personal responsibility for themselves... which means you wouldn't teach your kids to take personal responsibility for their actions.

Personal responsibility is the #1 deciding factor of whether a human being is good or not.

That means worrying about what you do first, then those around you.

The fact that you would like this to be legislated or mandated in any way means that you have not actually thought about all of the consequences.

Allow me to steer you in a direction. Once the people start believing that their government should be telling people what to do in their personal and family lives, the people have given up their right to enjoy life.

OF course, if you believe in quantity and not quality, then whatever floats your boat. The government would probably be totally on board with you, however. They would love for all of us to pass responsibility on to them (because responsibility is power) and they would love for us to live longer (more impressionable and unwitting slaves).

As for my personal and my family's opinion about tobacco, that is ours. I would rather not dignify any truth in your post because the truths are narrow and few, whereas the proposed consequences are cruel.

Your opinion is kin to that of my friend Adam. He believes that in a perfect society, you would be arrested for throwing out your gum on the road (littering).

I wouldn't let him watch my son for more than 5 minutes. He is very irresponsible. So I have learned not to be conned by peoples' misguided judgment of perfection and society.

In my opinion, a perfect society is one where when the arrogant spit out their gum due to laziness, someone comes along and cleans it up out of humility and respect for everyone else around them.

There is a greater chance of seeing the good change in a person who witnesses people doing INCREDIBLY STRANGE things like... picking up messes... and much worse of a chance of seeing the good change in an adult who is knocked down like a bad little boy and told that daddy is gonna lock him in a concrete room for a while and maybe even rough him up if he talks back.

Now, would you raise your kids like that? Are adults supposed to be treating other adults like they are their own kids?! (Which is NOT the purpose of government).

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts

Feeling defensive are we? And I'm not questioning your right to pollute your own lungs. I am questioning your right to expose your or anyone else's children to your habit...

And what habits do you have that some may question??? Do you drink alcohol....TAKE AWAY HIS KIDS hes a menace to society and a danger to children!
Im sure more kids die each year from abuse from pissed up parents than second hand smoke.

There are more dangerous things you should be concerned about when talking about safety of our children.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join