It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents who smoke should be found unfit to be parents...

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Serizawa

I agree with your comment. Its funny for ex smokers to criticise smokers. So ignorant dont you think. Some ex smoker I now used to smoke 40 a day, some even smoked while pregnant.

If someone wants to smoke. No one has the right to tell themnot to. Give advice maybe. But to threaten to take away thier child.

Seems to me, citizens in the west are the ones under dictaorships, not those in the middleeast.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
i wonder how many of the anti-smoking zealots also happen to be global warmers.

your expelling co2! take the children away!!!

*runs around with arms flailing*

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
Redneck does make a valid point! What might be your rebuttal?

My rebuttal is that, in my opinion, people who support legal drugs while criticizing illegal drugs only do so because they want to make excuses for illegal drugs remaining illegal (requiring government intervention).
You see, they usually want (and preach) that the government should stay out of our lives! But when it comes to things they disapprove of (like illegal, but less harmful drugs) they're all for government intervention!

Ten Most Dangerous Drugs

This study also included Cannabis and '___', but they didn't make the top 10.

1. Heroin - popular street names include smack, skag, and junk.
2. Cocaine - often referred to as snow, flake, coke, and blow.
3. Barbiturates - popular slang names include yellow jackets, reds, blues, Amy's, and rainbows.
4. Street Methadone
5. Alcohol
6. Ketamine - a powerful hallucinogen, often referred to as Special K.
7. Benzodiazepines - a family of sedative drugs.
8. Amphetamines - known as greenies among baseball players.
9. Tobacco
10. Buprenorphine - also called bupe or subbies.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
this thread makes me sad Jax. I am a smoker. I have a child a little over one year old. I have never smoked around him, or my wife when she was carrying him. i have gone outside, rain or shine, 90 degrees or -20(god that sucked) to enjoy my tobacco. I love my son. I don't even allow other people to smoke around him. If we're in an enclosed space, no smoking, if we're outside they have to stay downwind of him and ten feet away and move if the smoke starts going towards him.

When i was 19 after years of condescending to smokers and knowing full well the negatives of smoking, i tried it. I found i liked it, all of it, the act of smoking, the taste of the smoke, the smell of the tobacco. Ever since it's been the one thing i've enjoyed doing above all others. Can't even remember the last time i took a drink, i don't enjoy it as much as a good smoke.

However you think I'm a terrible parent and should have my son taken away from me. Doesn't matter if I don't and never have done it around him. Doesn't matter that i love him dearly and have never abused him. Doesn't matter if i'm actively healthy in all other aspects of my life. You think that I'm a bad person and don't deserve to have my son.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I cannot believe the amount of PERSONAL attacks that I am receiving in this thread and the sheer number of JUSTIFICATIONS people are coming up with to justify their 'habit'... CAN JUST ONE OF YOU SHOW ME JUST ONE STUDY THAT SHOWS THAT CHILDREN EXPOSED TO CIGARETTE SMOKE ARE AS HEALTHY OR HEALTHIER THAN THEIR PEERS WHO ARE NOT EXPOSED TO CIGARETTE SMOKE????

JUST ONE!!!!

Smoking was a direct cause of my mother's death at the age of 52 (when I was only 14)... Smoking was a direct cause of my father's death at the age of 60... Smoking was a direct cause of my sister's death at the age of 57... Smoking is the direct reason I am suseptable to respritory infections and pneumonia, and not because I live in a dirty environment, as some d-bag suggested here earlier as I am a clean freak...

Instead of attacking me, why don't just one of you geniuses try to dispute the data given in the OP with data of your own... Why don't just one of you take a good look in the mirror and try to convince yourself that your smoking had NO negative effects on your children...

To try to sit there in front of your computer and convince yourselves and others that it has no negative effects on your children is the epitomy of self delusion and the antithesis of 'Denying Ignorance'! PERIOD!

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I understand the point, and my mother held me in her arms while she smoked in the 50's (and she got both lung-cancer, and myself asthma)...but I think the theory is too general.

It would imply that the millions of them who did but just didnt know it was bad...would now be deemed "unfit"...and thats absolutely untrue.

I agree that perhaps now...knowing what we do...and ignoring those facts...would be criminal and a danger. But to deem all past parents as that they were unfit, is wrong. They may have been at fault by lack-of-knowledge of the consequences...but certainly not to be categorized as unfit. They just didnt know then...and perhaps that is your point.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

That is absurd I am a father and I smoke outside. How does this affect my childs health. Plus second hand smoke is a bunch of BS anyway!

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by TheRedneck
There's another difference. Tobacco is not mentally debilitating.

Are you serious? Tobacco is most definitely mentally debilitating.

Effects of Smoking on the Brain

Smoking effects on the Brain

* Smoking blocks the carotid artery. So, blood supply to the brain cells are cut off. This results in stroke, called cerebral thrombosis. Smoker's risk of having a stroke is 1.5 times more than non-smokers.
* Smoking also leads to thickening and clotting of the blood.
* Smoking causes oxidative stress.

It's a myth that smoking helps to concentrate and makes a smoker alert. In fact, the speed and accuracy of a smoker's thinking ability becomes weak. Smoking also lowers down the smoker's IQ. This fact has been established by a study conducted by University of Michigan researchers.

The researchers also confirmed that long-term smoking have harmful effects on memory, problem-solving, and IQ. In fact, they viewed that smoking diminishes the thinking ability of a person.

If smoking has been decreasing my thinking ability, then I must be wicked quick.

I know plenty of people who do not smoke that need some help with "problem-solving".

More rubbish. People don't smoke for the concentration factor... we smoke because it is relaxing and helps us to quell our mind which is so full of This and That.

Hence why some people have a smoke after an argument, or sex, or what have you.

PEOPLE KNOW that not smoking is healthier than smoking. They do it knowingly.
I have learned that people also put on sunscreen knowing that it is actually healthier to be in the sun without sunscreen... but they don't want to burn... so that's what counts.
I have learned that people know many things that are unhealthy and still do the same things.

If you want to help cure a real problem, it is within the mind, NOT THE BODY. The body will die anyway - but the mind is passed on through the generations.

Start worrying about raising your kids right and making sure they take personal responsibility for everything, regardless of whether it is in their possession. Meaning, make sure they make the world a better place through action instead of words or litigation. If you want there to be people who do not smoke, then do not smoke. If you want there to be people who don't litter, then not only do not litter, but pick up the trash, regardless of whether it is yours. These are examples of what people SHOULD be doing IF they have a problem with the way things are now.

All this crap pointless research which is wasted money anyway is silly. Not one person who started smoking cigarettes thought to themself, ever in the history of man, "Boy. This must actually be good for me. The first puff made me turn green. That's healthy, right?"

People have the frakking common sense, regardless of whether they act differently or not. Preaching and preaching is useless. There ain't a one of you going to go out and pick up someone else's trash because I pointed out that is the right thing to do. Why would you?

Because people get a funny feeling like, "Oh. Maybe I should do that today. That would be a good thing to do." I am glad the thought made you happy, but when that circumstance landed in your lap, you were too busy with something else or had a mission or something else got in the way of you doing the right thing. Excuse here and there.

But guess what - people already know that.

It's almost pointless how much I have typed in this thread.

And yet I continue only to prove the hypocrisy of people (which releases Jaxon from his sin in my eyes) and yet also to prove that no matter how much you spout "useful" information, it's a waste.

BE the change you want to see. Don't force others to be it.

Unless they be your kids. Yourself and your family are your ONLY responsibility. Especially so being within the confines of the human body.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
What is it with all the rampant social engineering going on these days. Mind your own business and stop exaggerating and spreading hatred.

If whether you smoke or not is the only criteria you find important on being a good parent or not, I truly feel sorry for you.

If you quit, good for you. There are plenty of other things to get zealous about. Start looking at your own life and quit judging others.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
i like beer too does that make me evil parent number one or is the point of this thread to get people pissed to give replies and possibly a star for you sneaky thread writer???

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
This graph is also very interesting, featuring both dependence and harm:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

so because it effected you as a child, this must mean it effects the entire whole of humanity in the same way.

i see your logic.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

And your attacks on our persons on such a personal level as parental fitness are any better jax? talk about hypocrisy. according to you my son should be ripped from my arms and sent away. i'm a crappy person according to you and don't deserve to have my son and love him. as i said i have never and will never smoke around my son, especially in an enclosed space. but yeah, get all whiney because people are upset you're attacking them.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Hi Jax.
No one is saying that smoking isn't dangerous and doesn't harm children. Or if they are, they're wrong.
I think the issue is that they don't want government dictating what they do to their bodies. And many smokers these days don't smoke around their children.

Smoking is dangerous.
Driving a car is dangerous.
Flying on a plane is dangerous.
Breathing is dangerous.
Drinking the water is dangerous.
Hang gliding is dangerous.
Swimming is dangerous.
Being overweight is dangerous.
Surgery is dangerous.
Bull Riding is dangerous.
Mountain climbing is dangerous.

I could go on and on and on!
But I won't. We all put ourselves and our children at risk every day. It's just life.

FWIW, I think the people attacking you are wrong. We should be able to disagree (as you and I do on this subject) and not make it personal or a call for war.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
I cannot believe the amount of PERSONAL attacks that I am receiving in this thread and the sheer number of JUSTIFICATIONS people are coming up with to justify their 'habit'... CAN JUST ONE OF YOU SHOW ME JUST ONE STUDY THAT SHOWS THAT CHILDREN EXPOSED TO CIGARETTE SMOKE ARE AS HEALTHY OR HEALTHIER THAN THEIR PEERS WHO ARE NOT EXPOSED TO CIGARETTE SMOKE????

JUST ONE!!!!

Smoking was a direct cause of my mother's death at the age of 52 (when I was only 14)... Smoking was a direct cause of my father's death at the age of 60... Smoking was a direct cause of my sister's death at the age of 57... Smoking is the direct reason I am suseptable to respritory infections and pneumonia, and not because I live in a dirty environment, as some d-bag suggested here earlier as I am a clean freak...

Instead of attacking me, why don't just one of you geniuses try to dispute the data given in the OP with data of your own... Why don't just one of you take a good look in the mirror and try to convince yourself that your smoking had NO negative effects on your children...

To try to sit there in front of your computer and convince yourselves and others that it has no negative effects on your children is the epitomy of self delusion and the antithesis of 'Denying Ignorance'! PERIOD!

Maybe you shouldn't have said that smokers are unfit parents, Hello?

And stop relying on "researchers" to tell anyone else what they need to know. People ALREADY KNOW. You can't make the reality any more clear for people than for them to face what they know in life.

If you truly FEEL (regardless of what you were told, have you thought about it enough?) that smoking caused those problems within your family, then don't let it continue in your family!!!!!

My family doesn't eat watermelons or almonds or avocado because my wife is allergic to them. So therefore because we know there is a problem associated with these, WE DON'T KEEP THEM IN THE HOUSE.

But should I tell all you other people to not eat watermelons or almonds or avocados?

Wouldn't that be a little insane??

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
The title of this thread should be: "Parents who smoke around children should be found unfit to be parents...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
I understand the point, and my mother held me in her arms while she smoked in the 50's (and she got both lung-cancer, and myself asthma)...but I think the theory is too general.

It would imply that the millions of them who did but just didnt know it was bad...would now be deemed "unfit"...and thats absolutely untrue.

I agree that perhaps now...knowing what we do...and ignoring those facts...would be criminal and a danger. But to deem all past parents as that they were unfit, is wrong. They may have been at fault by lack-of-knowledge of the consequences...but certainly not to be categorized as unfit. They just didnt know then...and perhaps that is your point.

Really, tell me that you actually believe that people didn't know.

Get real.

It's up to everyone to decide for themselves. Your mother made her choice knowingly.

But we always want to obsolve people of their mistakes when they have suffered the harshest of consequences because of their decisions, now don't we.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

Well presented! I would try to " counter " BH's comments, but I'm a little slow this morning, must be the second hand smoke that is clouding my judgement and brain capacity~

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
This graph is also very interesting, featuring both dependence and harm:

im a bit skeptical about that chart.

khat is HIGHLY addictive and just as dangerous as meth (which for some reason isnt even on the chart).

yet they have it as the least addictive and least harmful. :S

they also seem to include drugs that arent even hardly in circulation anymore(GHB)

did you just make that in ms-paint or what?
edit on 21-2-2011 by RelentlessLurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
The title of this thread should be: "Parents who smoke around children should be found unfit to be parents...

No.. it should not.

The title of this thread should be: "I think smoking is bad for me and my children. Here is why."

But then the content matter would have to be actual reasons for smoking being bad for THOSE people. And then others can take from it what They Will.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join