It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libyan City falls to opposition - report

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Libyan City falls to opposition - report

www.stuff.co.nz

Libya's second largest city, Benghazi, has fallen to anti-government forces after a crack army unit defected to the opposition and clashes spread to the capital, Tripoli, residents and news reports say.

The raging uprising against Muammar Gaddafi appears to be seriously threatening the Middle East's longest ruling dictator's 42-year grip on power day breaks on Monday.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Libya isn't like Egypt - Qadaffi has a much more ruthless streak in him than Mubarrack did - he's already killed plenty of opposition, and I reckon he's not about blaming it all on whoever is the evil-influence-of-the-day (the west, some "wrong" moslem group, bandits) and sending the tanks in.

The defection of 1 unit might be a problem for him....but if can find 2 that wil fight then I'm picking a bloodbath

www.stuff.co.nz
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 20-2-2011 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I think we could be looking at civil war in Libya soon.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
If Ghadaffi decides to leave, fine.

If he decides to stay, blood will flow.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by HoldTheBeans
I think we could be looking at civil war in Libya soon.

Very true.

Hopefully more of the military will defect. Enough to render the anti-government side most powerful at least.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

The defection of 1 unit might be a problem for him....but if can find 2 that wil fight then I'm picking a bloodbath

If one unit defected then I'd expect more to do the same..
They all know what's going on..
If enough units defect it may end up the military is on the peoples side and less blood will flow..
We can only hope..

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Yeah Mubarak was soft.
Qadaffi is a hard liner though.

There will be far more brutality and oppression in Libya, almost certainly.

Qadaffi is no joke. He's an actual full fledged dictator. And although he has seemed rather moderate in the last decade or so, most of us still realize he has that serious hard liner tendency.

If the reports are true that the military has splintered into competing factions, what we have here is a quickly developing civil war type situation that was sparked by the protests. (And the horrific brutal way the government decided to "deal with" the protests- with bullets).

It's a keg of gunpowder and it hasn't exploded yet. This is just the fuse burning.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Good news about the unit defecting. This could lead to more units defecting and giving the people the weapons needed to reclaim their country.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Just like Mubarak, just like Castro, and so on and so forth, there is a similar element here.

All of these dictators stood up to put an end to corruption, to restore justice, and fight imperialism.

However, what did they become right after gaining "power"?

The anti-thesis of their entire evolution as a human being. They became the imperialists they hated.

And now we are here, 2011. We are seeing another wave of protest and revolt, but what will be solved? Nothing?

Are we condemned to repeat the mistakes of the past?

We need to find better solutions IMHO. These revolutions are not solving anything, they are just putting new avatars on the same old poster's rantings.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Like all the rest, he is an old and sick man now, who has held power too long. His fear of sharing power has made any orderly succession nigh impossible, as it would appear his son has little standing either at home or abroad.

Whatever happens it will probably be over quickly one way or another: I don't think the Libyan army has the logistical stamina for a long conflict no matter how you stack the sides.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Almost all the men in the military of any nation have familes in that nation. More will defect. They want what's best for their country and families, not a leader who gives them orders they know are wrong.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
He has fled.
Looks like his wonderful offspring are fighting for power now.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
This just in...

@acarvin Unconfirmed audio "Injured taken to #Tripoli Medical Center & killed inside the hospital by regime" #Libya boo.fm...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
There is some very good coverage here on abc news . Informative video also.
abcnews.go.com...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
it seems the government is killing the wounded in the hospitals.
How does the military do, to not be opposed to this?
Hopefully they kick him or kill him quick!!!!
This one is not Mubarak,he's willing to kill anyone.

Hope the people doesn't back down.It's now or never.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I think its fair to say, this is not going to end peacefully at all. Gadaffi can either give up power and most likely leave the country or kill all the anti government protesters untill there is none left or take a majority of them and the rest will dispand OR he can be overthrown by the people and most likely killed along with his sons and cabinet. Personally, Id prefer the latter. Libya is going to be real interesting now in the next few weeks.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
As I continue to read reports such as these I just cannot help but to recall the image of the ten toes mixed with iron a solid substance and clay, a soft malleable substance, and the two don't stick to each other.
edit on 21-2-2011 by Calender because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman
He has fled.
Looks like his wonderful offspring are fighting for power now.

Yes and this his is his stance

Gaddafi's son warns of "rivers of blood" in Libya Says Libyan leader will fight until "last man, last bullet"
www.alarabiya.net...

Libyan leader Moammar Gaddafi's son warned early Monday that the country faces a bloody civil war if protesters refuse to accept reform offers, in a speech broadcast as gunfire rang out in the capital, saying that his father remained in charge with the army's backing and would "fight until the last man, the last woman, the last bullet."

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
There is a difference between the "officer class" and the soldiers.

If history is any example, the dictators who pay the armed forces generously, will get backing to the end. Those who pay the "officer class" generously, but neglect to pay the soldiers will have problems with some troops joining the citizenry. Those who are not generous to either of them are in trouble.

The mainstream media is avoiding the real reason for all the recent turmoil... it is class warfare. The distribution of wealth has become too uneven, and the newer generations, with access to education and information (via the internet), have had enough.

Only a people that has little to lose is willing to sacrifice it all in a revolution.

the Billmeister

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Qadaffi also has personality differences with Mubarak - he's convinced of his own righteousness, that he has a vision, that everyone should share it, etc - classic pop-megalomania. In the last 20 years we've seen him "lead" the OAU & propose himself as the head of a pan-African super-state, and graciously abandon WMD's (probably).

So he's probably never going to admit that he held power to long or did anything wrong - or that anyone who opposes him is justified - he's killed over 1000 ppl suppressing one uprising before - a prison one in 1996, which I guess was a bit of an easier target than the general population, what with them all in 1 place!

but even with his son's rambling discourse & reports of police & afew military "defecting" I think this one is far from over and retains the potential for a lot more bloodshed.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join