It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planet could be 'unrecognizable' by 2050, experts say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

A growing, more affluent population competing for ever scarcer resources could make for an "unrecognizable" world by 2050, researchers warned at a major US science conference Sunday. The United Nations has predicted the global population will reach seven billion this year, and climb to nine billion by 2050, "with almost all of the growth occurring in poor countries, particularly Africa and South Asia," said John Bongaarts of the non-profit Population Council. To feed all those mouths, "we will need to produce as much food in the next 40 years as we have in the last 8,000," said Jason Clay of the World Wildlife Fund at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). "By 2050 we will not have a planet left that is recognizable" if current trends continue, Clay said.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
First of all, this is just a bunch of NWO propaganda that is trying to paint the picture of a world population gone out of control if we don't sterilize the youth. Nobody knows what 2050 might bring but I can be pretty certain that we won't have 9 billion people on the planet.

Nice post though, s&f.
edit on 20-2-2011 by CordDragonzord because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by CordDragonzord

I don't really like to use Yahoo as a news source, but I found it interesting

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
sorry to be the one but this already being disscussed here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
blame religion for the increasing worlds population.
Ban religion....solve MANY problems

Notice how its the poor countries that have an increasing population.....look at the philipinnes for example, a highly religious country where contraceptives are not free and frowned upon...families of 20 living in a 6'x6' room for their whole lives.

One can hope something drastic happens in the very near future which will bridge the gap between rich and poor and abolish religion and its backwards teachings.

EDIT: Not living sorry....existing in a 6'x6' room.
edit on 20-2-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
In 39 years, there is still hope for another ethnic cleansing attempt leading to a third world war dwarfing world war 1 and 2 combined. Looking forward to that.

Don't think we should fear lack of resources, but fear the next big conflict.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
According to WorldWildLife.org, Jason Clay's expertise are in:

Indigenous People: Nation/State resources management, global trends

Corporate Social Responsibility: Reducing environmental risks

Agriculture and Aquaculture

Impact Assessments on large-scale developing projects

Trend analysis: The implications of bio-fuels, etc.

This guy pretty fits the image of an Al Gore, NWO spokesperson. Maybe, in a couple of months to a year we will see if this mans words hold any "merit". If not I'm sure some other loser will be used as the battering ram for depopulation.
edit on 20-2-2011 by CordDragonzord because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by GLantern101

A growing, more affluent population competing for ever scarcer resources could make for an "unrecognizable" world by 2050, researchers warned at a major US science conference Sunday. The United Nations has predicted the global population will reach seven billion this year, and climb to nine billion by 2050, "with almost all of the growth occurring in poor countries, particularly Africa and South Asia," said John Bongaarts of the non-profit Population Council. To feed all those mouths, "we will need to produce as much food in the next 40 years as we have in the last 8,000," said Jason Clay of the World Wildlife Fund at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). "By 2050 we will not have a planet left that is recognizable" if current trends continue, Clay said.

news.yahoo.com...

It's funny because right now the world produces enough food to feed the ENTIRE WORLD... EACH PERSON. The fact of the matter is a ton of it is WASTED. We can easily solve world hunger if we consider where all food supplies are going. The United States alone wastes so much food that could be utilized any day by other countries. Also the current death rate exceeds the birth rate, so i don't know what they're saying by reaching 9 billion. I'm pretty sure that overpopulation is a conspiracy of its own. The moral of the story is, we simply need to slow down for a moment, think things through, and resolve all of our worries TOGETHER.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Myollinir

I used to clean a food court where each 'eatery' would have atleast one large rubbishbag of leftovers thrown out each night.

It sickened me and made me ponder waste.

This was a little old foodcourt in Christchurch. New Zealand.

Nice post _b
edit on 20-2-2011 by aorAki because: spaceba r

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
It doesn't matter much what we do not...I'm all for starting to conserve and switch power resources and everything like that...but in all reality with the pollution levels where they're at, all the earthquakes, Frakking, mass die offs, volcano eruptions, Glaciers melting and general meltdown of society not to mention the sun waking up....The way it's going it'll all be over for a massive amount of people relativly soon and we'll probably never see 2050 but I for 1 wouldn't trade my ticket to see the end of times for anything!!!! I'd rather go out with most my kind at once than die alone or on a plane crash

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by GLantern101

Simple sollution= stop feeding Africans and South Asians.

Let nature take her course.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Although it sounds harsh, isn't that the way it'll go naturally? If food becomes scarce, prices will go up. Once prices reach a certain level, mass starvation will cause 'demand' to go down. The only thing causing a disastrous unbalance, is the western world trying to provide so much 'aid' that population levels in poor areas become more and more unsustainable.

Drawing a parallel to Europe if I may: we went through a similar situation in the middle ages. Population levels soared, while a long series of bad harvests made food scarce. Malnutrition caused illnesses like the plague to run rampant and cull the herd, so to speak. Scarcity also bred wars, further reducing population levels until eventually supply met demand again.

In a closed system, nature will balance the situation herself.

The thread title should read: "Planet unrecognizable by 2050 if western world keeps tipping the scales".

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Symer

Humans don't need that much nutrients at all to survive. To be healthy, we do.. to function normally we do.. but when your life consist of sitting on a dirt floor watching the flies collect on your 7 children and occasionally stumbling out to humanitarian aid folks to get a few cups of rice.. well you can survive off very little.

I believe the exact opposite will occur. I believe that at some point in my life time the Liberal bleeding heart crowd will do the unthinkable. Imagine what the absolute worst thing that could happen to a population already surviving off imported food?

The Potato.

I think at some point they will bring the Potato to Africa.. a single potato has per ounce more nutrients vital to humans than any other readily available food source.. which is what caused some European countries (like Ireland) to massive unsupportable population booms. It would doom us all. But it will still happen.

new topics

top topics

join