It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If there were a button that would instantly eradicate humanity, would you push it ?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
This may help you in your decision making process.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
This button would be a very very silly idea for Daves reasons above! - I must confess to being of the same mind set...

But the idea is not as far fetched as it may seem, are we all familiar with the Doomsday device in Dr. Strangelove? Well very similar devices were planned and the development did reach much further than the basic planning stage - although so far as I know never actually implicated - it was the ultimate statement of mutually assured destruction (MAD), a network of sensors linked to computers linked to stockpiles of every sort of nuclear device imaginable that would, without any actual human interaction pretty much act independently and wipe out pretty much all life on earth - a global event that in all probability would result in a dead world with a decade.

So the metaphorical button in that case would either be the people that set the system up and left it to run or the fool daft enough to launch a strike.

Gonna read a little about that one, I believe aspects of the whole system were put in place as part of the normal nuke defenses, but with a strong design leaning towards later becoming part of the system... Gotta love human ingenuity!

Edit: Read about the Dead Hand (Russian: Система Периметр, Systema Perimetr)[1] (known also as Perimeter,[2] and Hand from Coffin) is purportedly a Cold-War-era nuclear-control system used by the Soviet Union and in use in Russia.
edit on 20/2/2011 by Now_Then because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Bravo! First thing I thought of was the history eraser button from ren and stimpy. Hilarious, and I haven't seen it in ten years. a star for great mind that thinks alike!

(NO. I would not push it...but someone certainly would)
edit on 20-2-2011 by joechip because: spelling

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
No, I wouldn't push it. I have children and grandchildren---as do others on this forum. I also have hope. I believe there are more good people in this world than evil.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mysticnoon

I've come across comments on ATS before where people are filled with an apparent contempt for humanity, calling it a ''virus'' and suggesting that the planet would be better off without our destructive influence.

I don't know whether people with these views would fall into the bracket that you mention.

reply to post by Trublbrwing

You could use a stick if you want to, but don't forget that there would be no-one left, and consequently no need to pass the buck.

In fact, you could instruct a dog to push the button with its paw. I'm sure the dog would be only too keen to throw off the shackles of human tyranny ! No more leads or muzzles !

reply to post by kbriggss

Yes, that was one of my reasons for saying ''no'' too. Even if I wanted to, it would be futile as another species would eventually rise to the top of the evolutionary tree.

reply to post by LadySkadi

Striving towards worldwide disarmament by attempting to eradicate the human-eradicator button ?

I admire your sentiment.

reply to post by davespanners

I know exactly what you mean.

I'm also a compulsive button-pusher, switch-flicker and nob-turner

however, if I can resist the urge to pull the ''emergency stop'' cord on a train, then I think I could just about control myself not to push a button that would wipeout humanity.

reply to post by AMANNAMEDQUEST

Thank you for being the first to answer ''yes'' to the question ( even if you were being a little facetious )...

edit on 20-2-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Well.. if it was ONE button?

How would it do the job?

Id press it because its ONE button.. who doesn't PRESS some anonymous wildly labeled button? to see if it works.

I guess you could call it a symbol of free will. since free will is often blamed for our own self destruction.

But the idea of one button.. is probably enough for anyone to push it. No vendetta against humanity needed. NOW if it was say.. a really involved 900 word crossword puzzle... Then youd have some real posts.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
If there was a buttton that would end humanity....
Since when has their ever been any humanity?
Inhumanity maybe....
but
Humanity would have to be started before it could be ended.

As far as pushing the button the would end humans
No Problem...
*Pushes Button*
I'm a giraffe
edit on 20-2-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
No. 'Tempting to collectively put us out of our misery, but no. We need to suffer. That is what life is about. Not my words, but Buddha's.

We have a higher purpose that is beyond all worldly things that interact upon our physical, emotional and intellectual lives. That purpose is to find our spiritual identities, and I ain't talkin' of religions and God.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Yes.
Next question.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
What about a button that left most of humanity alone and just got rid of the Welsh!

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
First, no definately not. You think we can be better, as you say in the quote below. I respectfully disagree:

we can achieve a much more civilised and well-rounded version of humanity than we have seen throughout history.

I think if we have't done so, it is highly unlikely we will. We have our moments, where we show extraodinary alturisim, but this is not the norm. I don't understand it, it is not like we can't plainly see the mistakes we make over and over. We have had many opportunities to change. Some how we don't or maybe can't.

I believe we can be as we were created to be, but not by ourselves.

It would not be right for me to destroy that which was made in the image of God.

I know my beliefs are not popular nor logical, but I am not asking anyone to think as I do.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
No...
1. All life is valuable.
2. Even with the evil that have seen have also seen good that people do..
3. In time humanity will grow up and achieve its true potential..
Its not my place to decide who lives or who dies.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I would be very tempted, but I don't think it's my place to make that decision....so no.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
We have been pouring into a glass, a poison we'd hope our enemy would drink. On 2012, we each will be drinking from that glass, so be wise what you put in it. Another word for this is 'Karma'

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I can understand why one might be tempted to do it to oneself. But take that decision for others? Besides why would one wish to wipe out all of humanity? Seems a bit silly....

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Dave Spanners ! ROFL - That awful grinding noise could well have been the anchor being raised !

No, I would not press the button for total annihilation - 25 years of complete infertility for humans ? perhaps - to allow the drain on resources to be less .

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

I'm not sure what cartoons those images are from, but they made me chuckle.

I think we'd all be tempted to push that button if we could hand-pick who would survive. It would give us a chance to ''play God'' and start again from scratch with our ''chosen ones''.

reply to post by Now_Then

Heavy stuff, bro.

Maybe my hypothetical question has the potential to actually become a reality ?

I've often wondered what measures are in place to prevent a megalomaniacal leader from ordering the the ''red button'' to be pushed, thereby instigating a full-scale nuclear war.

reply to post by grumpydaysleeper

You're right that there are more good people than bad in the world. The problem is that 99 good people are going to have their lives interfered with by the actions of just 1 bad person.

That is the unfortunate reality.

reply to post by Huggiesunrise

It's a hypothetical concept.

Many people are focusing on the temptation to push the button, whereas the same hypothetical question could be posed through the scenario of completing a 900-word crossword.

It wasn't the action of pushing the button that was the main premise of this thread ( although that has created quite an amusing and entertaining diversion ) but the intent behind the ''push''.

reply to post by Danbones

A giraffe ?! Hopefully I'd become a pig; 30-minute long orgasms and no more danger of being turned into pork chops.

reply to post by Aliensun

I'm glad that you brought up the words of Siddhartha Gautama, and that you have added a spiritual perspective to the thread.

It was very remiss of me not to take into consideration people's spiritual or religious views on existence when I originally posed the question. Obviously, these factors would play a huge part in someone's answer to the question.

reply to post by Elijio

Which is more difficult: eating fifteen dog biscuits in five minutes or doing a walking handstand for fifty yards ?

reply to post by CholmondleyWarner

I don't think that's such a good idea. What other team - apart from San Marino - would we be certain of getting 6 points from in EURO 2012 qualifying ?

edit on 21-2-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I pushed it yesterday.

2nd line. lol

Two things for readers to consider, what if next to it was another button. this button saves humanity. Now if button two cures humanity of its evil that would be a preferable.

Unless we eliminate all of mens evils, we need the first button.

But the first button is tempting, especially in light of what we call pop-culture like Growing up Lohan, and Jersey Shore.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by CholmondleyWarner

Oi! Nothing wrong with us Welshies

No, I wouldn't press the button...

Firstly, I am not in a position to judge anyone but myself. Secondly, I am the master of no ones destiny and puppeteer of nobodies existence other than my own

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
The button has already been pushed with the creation of Clostridiolysin S.

Eventually this stuff will get loose and kill us all, and this is only one of many biotoxins sitting in storage, waiting for the proper moment to be used.

www.acponline.org...

It's a brave new world, welcome to the monkey house!

edit on 21-2-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join