It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous: underage /b/tards or a real threat?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I've been wondering this more and more lately, it was my initial and prolonged belief (as a former 4chan junkie) that 'anon' existed solely as a term the way I had always used it; to refer to the anonymous users of 4chan and nothing more. With all the recent threads and publicity towards anon (the one issuing a warning to Westboro Baptists for one) and the inevitable debates that follow in relation to the nature of anonymous, I felt we needed a little clarification.

Somebody mentioned in the darknet thread a couple of days a go that anonops is located in the deep web,

Originally posted by pforkp
This site is a somewhat up-to-date portal to .onion sites that do not want to be seen by search engines/the public - but they do want to be seen and used by Deepnet seekers. That is to say, these aren't spy agencies or organized terrorist cells (other than AnonOps - yes, their site is on there and is accessible) - although those things ARE on Deepnet, there's no way they'd ever give their links/passwords to the Hidden Wiki.

which got me wondering whether anon is actually more organised, capable and 'legion' than I had believed - and are truly in a position to do what 'they' claim that 'they' will.

Can anyone shed any light?

abovetopsecret.com... Darknet thread

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
At first I believed that Anon wasn't too serious in their threats towards some of these corporations such as
HG Gary Federal but after they successfully hacked the emails of that company I think everyone can agree that theres a group of Anons that are smarter than your average /b/tard and are taking matters into their own hands. I think it will be very interesting to see how the rest of the events between Anon and their foes turns out.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracySquid7
At first I believed that Anon wasn't too serious in their threats towards some of these corporations such as
HG Gary Federal but after they successfully hacked the emails of that company I think everyone can agree that theres a group of Anons that are smarter than your average /b/tard and are taking matters into their own hands. I think it will be very interesting to see how the rest of the events between Anon and their foes turns out.

agreed, your average b/tard wouldnt be ablt to hack internet to egypt in its time of need.

it wouldnt surprise me in the least if they will be too busy getting information out of libya, but that is just my guess. seems they may have to put westboro on hold as the reports of massive loss of human are still coming in...

well, we cant go there to go see what is happening ourselves and havnt been able to for about 30 years. soooo, is a group of hackers helping people in their time of need define a "terrorist organization?" dont you think they are at worst above average b/tards?

seems leaks will continue slowly, but the main idea is that this violence is manifesting across the most populated areas..they are being gunned down by hired mercenaries, and you still buy into the crap that anon is going to come after you or something?
and the thing you care to ask, op, is if anon is a threat?

are you high?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by GenerationXisMarching

are you high?

dunno about the op, but im high as a mofo

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Not to me, or you. They're threatening people and organizations though, so; are they a threat?

*snip* .
edit on 20-2-2011 by ballsdeep because: (no reason given)

Mod edit: discussion of illicit drug use is not allow at ATS.
edit on 2/21/2011 by kinglizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ballsdeep

Not to me, or you. They're threatening people and organizations though, so; are they a threat?

Yes I am high by the way.

is society a threat?

maybe they should have thought that question through all the way.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ballsdeep

Explanation: S&F!

Hmmm?

Anon is a Very Dangerous Threat! Here is why!...

Grey Goo (terrorism) [crnano.org]

Although grey goo has essentially no military and no commercial value, and only limited terrorist value, it could be used as a tool for blackmail. Cleaning up a single grey goo outbreak would be quite expensive and might require severe physical disruption of the area of the outbreak (atmospheric and oceanic goos deserve special concern for this reason). Another possible source of grey goo release is irresponsible hobbyists. The challenge of creating and releasing a self-replicating entity apparently is irresistible to a certain personality type, as shown by the large number of computer viruses and worms in existence. We probably cannot tolerate a community of "script kiddies" releasing many modified versions of goo.

GreyGoo [wiki]
It starts here...

Computing Denial-of-service attacks in the virtual world Second Life which work by infinitely replicating objects until the server crashes are referred to as grey goo attacks. This reference refers to the self-replicating aspects of grey goo. It is one example of the widespread convention of drawing analogies between certain Second Life concepts and the theories of radical nanotechnology.

And ends here...

Grey goo (alternatively spelled gray goo) is a hypothetical end-of-the-world scenario involving molecular nanotechnology in which out-of-control self-replicating robots consume all matter on Earth while building more of themselves, a scenario known as ecophagy ("eating the environment").

Personal Disclosure: Anon, /b/eing Legion is like any other Body. Some are the footsoldiers and others are the BRAINZ! Please Do Not Confuse the 2 OK!

P.S. I'm not in anyway associated or consiously connected to Anon and yet I could be. Be Fair warned ok!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by RelentlessLurker

Originally posted by ballsdeep

Yes I am high by the way.

is society a threat?

maybe they should have thought that question through all the way.

How do you mean?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   

well typically it takes some pretty unethical actions to get under anons crosshairs.

and since anon is society, perhaps whoever becomes there target should have considered whether or not society as an unrelenting, unidentifiable, powerful whole....is a threat.

before doing whatever it is to put them in society's cross hairs.

think batman.

now think army of batmen.
edit on 21-2-2011 by RelentlessLurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by RelentlessLurker

I agree, I'm not trying to portray anon in some sort of negative light here; I'm merely trying to ascertain how serious they are and are capable of being (and how; in regards to their capabilities).
edit on 21-2-2011 by ballsdeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

personally, i wouldn't mess with society....

...people can be cruel.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by RelentlessLurker

personally, i wouldn't mess with society....

...people can be cruel.

Again, I take your point, but it doesn't really deal with the specifics of my question; are anon operating somewhere more private as a coherent, structured body of people who know and trust each other?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
this thread is a metaphor.

mystery is power.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Found this where RIPE has created a search engine to search traffic on unallocated IP addresses and there findings might surprise you.
labs.ripe.net...

First Impressions of Pollution in Two RIPE NCC Darknets

The IPv4 address space is nearing complete exhaustion. Very few /8s are left for allocation, and there are concerns as to whether these remaining /8s are even particularly useful to allocate. Because of this, we partnered with several Regional Internet Registries (RIRs), including the RIPE NCC, to examine what traffic is going to unallocated IP address ranges. Because these IP addresses are unallocated, we know that all traffic traveling into these spaces is pollution. This blog post details our initial findings from analyzing 7-days worth of data collection on the following networks: 5/8 and 37/8.

The next highest traffic destination is 5.113.105.0/24. Upon inspection, we found mostly ICMPv6 packets traveling to this destination. Finally, 5.24.245.0/24 was receiving many packets whose payload seemed to link to Flash Video files.

As you can see, again, most of the traffic is hitting a single /24. Looking into the traffic, we realized that the traffic to 37.61.54.0/24 is due to China blocking Facebook. You can see an example at the following link (you can even run your own query on Chinese DNS servers): www.renesys.com...

The other subnets are negligible compared to 37.61.54.0, and are mostly from Conficker. To support this point, Figure 8 is showing the top destination ports on 37/8.

The spike in UDP traffic (at ~30 on the timescale) is visible across the entire network. On inspection, we found the spike to come from UDP source port 53, and we realized that the surge in traffic is backscatter from a DNS Denial of Service (DoS) attack.

I can't say they were behind the DNS Denial of Service (DoS) attack. But it does show you its taking place on IP address that are not allocated to any one. RIPE called this the "darknet" traffic.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

That is interesting, thanks!

Why is noone willing to speculate?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
/b/ is not Anon
And Anon is no /b/

Dont be mistaken

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
i think asking if they are a threat is kind of a leading question. they are at political voice that has not been incoperated into mainstream politics not unlike many other groups of activists.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Anon isnt real its a made up thread by the news media as an illusion to the real threats that they refuse to uncover. When is the last time they discussed the presence of repitilans in the highest reaches of government?

This is all just a show and a distraction to keep your eyes off of whats important so you spend time reading more forums. Lets hope more people wake up and realize what it is to be a True american. You dont have to be from america or a citizen to live the dream of an american way of life. Freedom is universal and our founding fathers gave the world democracy and as an American I continue to set a new standard that other people who arent amaerican can aspire to and live up too. Dont let this talk of anonymous distract you from the red white and blue!

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

b tard for sure

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos

Explanation: S&F!

Hmmm?

Anon is a Very Dangerous Threat! Here is why!...

Grey Goo (terrorism) [crnano.org]

Although grey goo has essentially no military and no commercial value, and only limited terrorist value, it could be used as a tool for blackmail. Cleaning up a single grey goo outbreak would be quite expensive and might require severe physical disruption of the area of the outbreak (atmospheric and oceanic goos deserve special concern for this reason). Another possible source of grey goo release is irresponsible hobbyists. The challenge of creating and releasing a self-replicating entity apparently is irresistible to a certain personality type, as shown by the large number of computer viruses and worms in existence. We probably cannot tolerate a community of "script kiddies" releasing many modified versions of goo.

GreyGoo [wiki]
It starts here...

Computing Denial-of-service attacks in the virtual world Second Life which work by infinitely replicating objects until the server crashes are referred to as grey goo attacks. This reference refers to the self-replicating aspects of grey goo. It is one example of the widespread convention of drawing analogies between certain Second Life concepts and the theories of radical nanotechnology.

And ends here...

Grey goo (alternatively spelled gray goo) is a hypothetical end-of-the-world scenario involving molecular nanotechnology in which out-of-control self-replicating robots consume all matter on Earth while building more of themselves, a scenario known as ecophagy ("eating the environment").

Personal Disclosure: Anon, /b/eing Legion is like any other Body. Some are the footsoldiers and others are the BRAINZ! Please Do Not Confuse the 2 OK!

P.S. I'm not in anyway associated or consiously connected to Anon and yet I could be. Be Fair warned ok!

perhaps

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join