It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marshall Islands underwater!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by HoldTheBeans

FEMA trailers on stilts til it subsides!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
When I went to the San Blas Islands I can recall them being nearly level with the sea. So I looked them up. They range from 1 to 3 meters above sea level. Scientists predict that in around 40 to 60 years, they will be submerged. Very nice islands but as hot as hades. (A cold can of coke gets warm in minutes.)

Anyways, the Kuna indians are beginning to look into moving. But many do not want to. It is so sad to lose your home and that your ancestors.

My point is that there are countless islands that will be affected. Including the 378 San Blas islands alone. But I don't feel it is going to happen overnight. From what I understand, sea level is rising 2.5 mm per year. Presently though, islands close to sea level are obviously more prone to flooding.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
reply to post by HoldTheBeans

FEMA trailers on stilts til it subsides!

They will sue due to the formaldehyde!!

Maybe Bush has the hurricane machine working and he can wipe em out with one big one.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

www.realclimate.org...

just skip straight to critique

BTW
The scientist who actually measures sea level rise and who is the top guy in the world as opposed to the totally discredited models that call for things that never happen..( Like the met office in Britian calling for the warmest winter yet forget about snow yada yada yada....You can't get any more wrong then them and their global warming shmooo) says no rise..and he is measuring, not using discredited models.

Some in the Marshall Islands were trying to finagle huge amounts of charity for this non existant condition...and I guess once the Islanders are gone, then that will free up some nice shacks to spend the largess in....

edit on 20-2-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Thanks for the info,much appreciated.The more info,the better.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by grumpydaysleeper
Many people will not believe---- unless it affects them directly, but by then--- it will be too late.

Exactly! I know a few people who have undoubtedly branded me as a fear monger for many reasons, but they on the other hand, are suffering from "normalcy bias" and aren't prepared for the proverbial S*t HTF.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

More evidence of rising sea levels

Not that we need more evidence to know that sea levels are rising, but this isn't really evidence of global sea level rise. It is more indicative of local sea level rise in the region, although the gradual global sea level rise doesn't help. The current la nina means the water in the region is warmer than usual. As water warms, it expands, making the sea level rise in the area.

Here in NZ, we recently had coastal flooding, due to a number of reasons. An approaching low pressure system caused a storm surge, whilst bring heavy rain and waves. It also hit during a king tide. With all these factors combined, it led to flooding and storm damage along coastal areas. More info can be found here. The current la nina has had it's effects here in NZ , as warmer waters mean an increased chance of tropical cyclones heading into our waters, and increased jellyfish. This isn't necessarily all bad though, as we have had some amazing surf come out of it

I'm not sure exactly what happened in the Marshall Is, but the OP links defines the event as a storm surge, while the link JibbyJedi didn't mention a storm
Either way, I wouldn't be buying land in Majuro. You're just asking for trouble when you have large amounts of people living less than a metre above sea level, especially when you're on an attol. The way that an atoll is formed means they are usually constantly sinking, making them a less than ideal location for habitation. But with a growing population in Majuro, they have been forced to live closer and closer to the shore line, which is only going to increase the risk of flooding.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

So,as I read this workshop post by IPCC they no longer have satellites to monitor the ice sheets and the total
water held in the ice caps and glaciers is equal .5 m of sea level rise( about 1.5 ft).
So we are cool.No problems here. The marshall islands will just get a little smaller thats all.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Curious and Concerned

And the IPCC contribute 30% to 50% of sealevel rise to oceans warming and expanding.
Interesting.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by gemineye

I have a question and forgive me if it's a dumb one. I don't have enough expertise on this to know the answer, lol. The link says that the flooding is caused by storm surge. Would that be evidence of rising sea levels? I thought storm surge was normal. Like I said though, I don't know enough about it, but I'm trying to learn as much as possible about rising sea levels and such, so this is why I ask.

Extreme high tides have flooded parts of the low-lying Marshall Islands capital Majuro with a warning Sunday of worse to come because of rising sea levels. Several areas of the city were flooded Saturday and forecasters predicted more to come on Sunday evening before the current high tide levels ease. Flooding of the Marshall Islands atolls, many of which rise less than a metre (three feet) above sea level, will increase in "frequency and magnitude" in the coming years, University of Hawaii marine researcher Murray Ford said. Dr Ford, who is studying rising sea levels in the Marshall islands, said the weekend's extreme tides of 1.67 metres were exacerbated by La Nina, a weather phenomenon that has caused the base sea level to rise by 15 centimetres in recent months. "As the sea level is temporarily higher as a result of La Nina and overlies long-term sea level rise, the impacts are magnified," Dr Ford said. "While these events happen only a handful of times a year at present they will continue to increase in both frequency and magnitude." Dr Ford said a gauge measuring long-term sea level changes at Majuro indicated the "average sea level is more than six inches above predicted" levels. The Marshall Islands, a collection of coral atolls and islands, announced plans late last year to build a wall to hold back rising sea levels around Majuro which is home to nearly half of the country's 55,000 population. Overcrowding in the urban centre have forced people to build homes within a couple of metres of the shore, increasing their exposure to flooding during peak tide periods.
hisz.rsoe.hu...

edit on 2/20/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Very interesting reads most of all the break out group 5: accounting for past sea level change

www.ipcc.ch...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Check this chart out

www.ipcc.ch...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
The Atlantic Gulfstream effects the Pacific Ocean. When you guys have lots of hurricanes it always means there will be few typhoons in the Pacific by the Marshall Islands/Guam.

Guam hasn't seen a Typhoon in quite a few years. Patterns have changed...the all go below Guam now.

This spinning ball is changing. Just as part of the Caroline Islands disappeared under the sea decades ago..so will the Marshall islands.

Ocean currents have changed. Atmosphere jetstreams have changed. All effect ocean height in given areas as the spinning ball called Earth changes.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
ummm
the IPCC
they have been discredited
totally.
but hey, fill your boots.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

UMMMM,really,by whos account,yours?
Prove it to me
Show me the money!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

I lived in Charleston,SC for many years,and there would be times of the year where they would say"the tides are running" during this times the streets would flood downtown. Of couse Charleston is built on a marsh and it's slowly sinking.

That was my first thought, maybe they are sinking, and not the sea rising.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Aren't you the one they lead me to this site.
Am I missing something here??

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones

www.realclimate.org...

just skip straight to critique

BTW
The scientist who actually measures sea level rise and who is the top guy in the world as opposed to the totally discredited models that call for things that never happen..( Like the met office in Britian calling for the warmest winter yet forget about snow yada yada yada....You can't get any more wrong then them and their global warming shmooo) says no rise..and he is measuring, not using discredited models.

Some in the Marshall Islands were trying to finagle huge amounts of charity for this non existant condition...and I guess once the Islanders are gone, then that will free up some nice shacks to spend the largess in....

edit on 20-2-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
ummm
the IPCC
they have been discredited
totally.
but hey, fill your boots.

House voted to defund the IPCC. I'm sure it won't pass the senate or Obammers desk but at least they're trying.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join